connecting to the US internet in the US

noswal

Executive Member
Hi, I plan to visit the USA around June, taking my laptop, current fitted with and internal 56k modem. Is there wireless hardware I can purchase here or there to connect to their wireless? costs? I assume $20/month is average for broadband there.

Alternative is to connect to mtn 20kb and I believe they are analog not digiatal so dont even know if cell phone works there.

Answers, not on a postcard please :p

arf9999

MyBroadband Member
Both these areas will have many Wireless hotspots, so a WiFi card should do the job. For those that aren't free you'll need some kind of ISP account though. If money is not an issue, you could try subscribing to something like iPass.

Since local calls are free in the US, you could also look at taking a short term 56K dialup ISP account in the US for the duration of your trip...hey it's not broadband but its better than cellphone access.

Last edited:

noswal

Executive Member
Thanks for the info. I would have answered earlier but - couldn't get a connection from the tower with all the rain.

VQuest

Expert Member
Whenever I travel in the US I simply sign up for a free AOL account. Since local calls are free it doesn't cost me a cent.

The hardest part is finding an AOL username which hasn't already been taken :)

Last edited: