Consequences if Makate gets R20bn+ Vodacom payday

He's not entitled to any of the please call me money, he didn't come up with the please call me idea... How many times do we need to go over this?? Like seriously what part of this isn't sinking in? He came up with a missed call solution. Vodacom implemented a solution similar to MTNs which was already out.
He's entitled to the % of the revenue from his idea sure... 0%
Go read. Your feelings are noted.

Leaning towards the court being corrupt as hell, cause this shouldn't have even been entertained, in fact it should've been laughed out after the high courts case.
Your manager promises you something, he has no authority to do so, end of story.
Why haven't Vodacom's lawyers called out the courts for being corrupt if that is the case? MyBB is perhaps the first place I'm hearing that the courts have behaved in a corrupt manner in relation to this case.

The same courts regularly make rulings against the ANC and the government so if they are corrupt, who are they being bought by?

The courts are probably the most transparent thing that we have in South Africa. Every decision and ruling they make has to be thoroughly documented and backed up facts and prior case law.

Feelings noted. And yes it does look like you sympathise with him. Why defend this case? It's rubbish. The dude is suing Vodacom for a ludicrous amount for not getting paid for something he didn't do.
It's common cause now that it's his idea though. You're debating something which Vodacom are no longer disputing?

It's common cause now that it's his idea though. You're debating something which Vodacom are no longer disputing?
I think most people don't feel $1bn is a reasonable figre for the crime .

It's like saying $1m dollar fine for speeding ... or $50m for crossing a solid line ... or $500m for trespassing ... or $850m for assault ... or $10bn for robbery ... and $1tn for fraud ...

Is it all illegal? Yes!
Should they all be punished? Yes!
Does the punishment fit the criime? No :(

Can you imagine James Cameron that has worked his ass off for decades, won oscars, spent 1000s of hours producing, owning companies ... and he's $200m dollars Makate who thought an an idea

I think most people don't feel $1bn is a reasonable figre for the crime .

It's like saying $1m dollar fine for speeding ... or $50m for crossing a solid line ... or $500m for trespassing ... or $850m for assault ... or $10bn for robbery ... and $1tn for fraud ...

Is it all illegal? Yes!
Should they all be punished? Yes!
Does the punishment fit the criime? No :(
Your analogy isn't apt. The value of his idea at the time might've been a bonus or 13th cheque or I believe it's a R1million prize these days. The difference is that Vodacom instead opted for going in a different direction and the gamble failed. Now they're stuck with a judgment stating 5-7.5% of revenue generated by the idea plus 20 years of compound interest and it's substantial.

Feelings noted. And yes it does look like you sympathise with him. Why defend this case? It's rubbish. The dude is suing Vodacom for a ludicrous amount for not getting paid for something he didn't do.
Me personally? I don't care about Makate and his idea was maybe at best worth getting rewarded with an extra month of salary bonus.

Vodacom is in this mess because they were incompetent and behaved unethically. I'm happy to see that they're being held accountable for once.

If anything I've stated what is common cause now. The only dispute was the quantum of what was owed in terms of the revenue share on PCM. Others here seem to think the argument is about who created the idea, if it was original enough, who implemented it and who deserves or doesn't deserve etc when that's been resolved years ago. Vodacom only has themselves to blame.

Your analogy isn't apt. The value of his idea at the time might've been a bonus or 13th cheque or I believe it's a R1million prize these days. The difference is that Vodacom instead opted for going in a different direction and the gamble failed.
So $50,000 to $1bn dollars?
So 20,000 x the amount?

I think my examples are pretty similar tbh - high, unreasonable amounts awarded.
I mean you said this was a simple contract issue, didn't you?
And because it went to court, it was 20,000 x the amount they could have away with?

Now they're stuck with a judgment stating 5-7.5% of revenue generated by the idea plus 20 years of compound interest and it's substantial.
Which is also weird because there is no revenue increase during the time period . So, it's 20,000 x the initial and the standard revenue that was generated

So $50,000 to $1bn dollars?
So 20,000 x the amount?

I think my examples are pretty similar tbh - high, unreasonable amounts awarded.
I mean you said this was a simple contract issue, didn't you?
And because it went to court, it was 20,000 x the amount they could have away with?

Which is also weird because there is no revenue increase during the time period . So, it's 20,000 x the initial and the standard revenue that was generated
What part of the following is inaccurate?

Someone sends a PCM someone calls back. That call generates revenue. 5-7.5% of that revenue is what the court found is reasonable revenue share for the idea. 18 years of that adds up to a massive amount then add the interest.

@quovadis Honest questions :

Do you think that the below graph would have changed at all, if Makate wasn't there?
Do you think that Vodacom would have implented Please Call Me, if Makate wasn't there?

1707824372022.png

@quovadis Honest questions :

Do you think that the below graph would have changed at all, if Makate wasn't there?
Do you think that Vodacom would have implented Please Call Me, if Makate wasn't there?
His revenue share is not based on an increase in revenue. It's based on revenue generated by his idea. Arguing if they would've done it or done it differently if Makate didn't exist is silly.

His revenue share is not based on an increase in revenue. It's based on revenue generated by his idea. Arguing if they would've done it or done it differently if Makate didn't exist is silly.
Which would be 0, as they never implemented his idea... and no having an idea about a missed call and an sms are not the same.

Me personally? I don't care about Makate and his idea was maybe at best worth getting rewarded with an extra month of salary bonus.

Vodacom is in this mess because they were incompetent and behaved unethically. I'm happy to see that they're being held accountable for once.

This is probably the most accurate description for me. Quite literally something that couldn't been solved with a 13th cheque, until they decided to act unethically, then they got screwed. And no amount of crying will change that. Some people on here truly think they're smarter than all of vodacon's lawyers.

Last edited:
Back