Consequences if Makate gets R20bn+ Vodacom payday

strange that he gets money for somebody else's idea, a person at mtn first came up with it.

He is ridiculous. If Vodacom paid him back when he had the idea, he wouldn't have got that much. It was just an idea, he wasn't even involved in the development..... I can't believe the courts are even entertaining this.

Firstly, he didn't even come up with the concept. He got the idea from another company.
Secondly, isn't there some kind of rule that any work produced while working for a company remains the property of that company and not the individual. Or is that specific to individual contracts?

I see they have a Product Development part as well - I wonnder if each of them can ask for $1bn too ?
And maybe the Team Leader? But he needs the $5bn
you-get-a-03f3cd1d12.jpg

Vodacom's competitors are licking their lips. Not only will it hurt the company directly, there will be a mass migration to the competition should Vodacom's customers be penalised for their botch up employee greed
there we go

Firstly, he didn't even come up with the concept. He got the idea from another company.
Secondly, isn't there some kind of rule that any work produced while working for a company remains the property of that company and not the individual. Or is that specific to individual contracts?
Usually that is the case. Problem is that Vodacom agreed and promised to give a revenue split from whatever revenue it generated so it doesnt matter that he wasnt the inventor or that he was also working for Vodacom.

Vodacom screwed up in the first place by offering an "evergreen" revenue sharing agreement.

When their legal team realized what a gigantic screw up that was they should have just made him a sizable offer back in 2001. Instead Vodacom decided they could just pay him absolutely nothing because there is no way that he could fund a case in court against them.

Normally it would be impossible for Makate to ever bring on a case like this, but in 2004 the law changed in South Africa that allowed for "litigation funding". This allowed for Makate to approach a group of investors and receive a virtually unlimited amount of funds to battle this case.

What you have is jealousy. Wishing it was you. The second part of your post is just pure evil.
Pure evil ? How the F will a granny run someone over with her trolley ? :X3: I sometimes wonder.

1707739632183.png

Last edited:
Getting billions for stealing someone else's idea ?
It wasn't quite the same idea and neither was the implementation of the idea if I'm not mistaken either. Vodacom unfortunately have dropped the ball on this. When he is paid and MTN feel aggrieved they can then sue him for a share if they like... doubt they'd muddy the waters until then even if they are paying attention.

It wasn't quite the same idea and neither was the implementation of the idea if I'm not mistaken either. Vodacom unfortunately have dropped the ball on this. When he is paid and MTN feel aggrieved they can then sue him for a share if they like... doubt they'd muddy the waters until then even if they are paying attention.
Vodacom dropped the ball by saying the idea was his in their company letter and not giving him anything. Chances are if they had given him a R10k bonus for the idea back then, all this wouldn't have happened.

Vodacom dropped the ball by saying the was his in their company letter and not giving him anything. Chances are if they had given him a R10k bonus for the idea back thn, all this wouldn't have happened.
I'm sure whatever he wanted back then was monumentally less than they'll be forced to pay now.

Well just imagine if in 2008 they had sat down and said, well ok lets pay him a fair amount. Bet if they had offered him 47 million in 2008 there wouldn't be lawyers involved. But they thought, what the heck, he is just a little guy, our lawyers will pummel him. And they lost. And then they used that truly awful calc that anyone just looking at it could see was a joke, and now the court has slapped them down. My understanding is that they actually have no place to appeal to as the constitutional court have already ruled that they are not a court that sets amounts.
Exactly, but VC thought oh really???? you want to try challenge us? We are big, we have lawyers we have money, we will crush you before you start.......well that didnt go as planned

Back