Considering VOiP phones, like Fresh PHONE, what options do I have?

CliffMastr

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/industrynews/204390-fresh-phone-is-becoming-popular-among-residential-users.html

I've read about Fresh PHONE a while ago before I had Fixed Home LTE, now that I do have the connectivity it has peaked my interest again.
I currently have Neotel line, with which I'm NOT happy, and would like to explore the VOiP options, like this Fresh PHONE or a similar product?

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give some advice/feedback on their experiences?

My wife runs a small business from home and it would be used mostly for that purpose.

Joe_Moer

FreshPhone works. Free service you just have to buy airtime. My analog cordless phone is plugged into my B315s LTE router. I have ported my old telkom number and everything is working fine. So you can try it for free and only apply to port your number once you are happy.

RoganDawes

Expert Member
Indeed, it works for me too. The only problem I ran into was a web server error while loading credit, resulting in the credit "going missing". An email to the support team sorted it out pretty quickly, though.

I'm using a Gigaset A510IP VoIP DECT base station, which is compatible with the other DECT handsets that I had previously, which is nice.

CliffMastr

FreshPhone works. Free service you just have to buy airtime. My analog cordless phone is plugged into my B315s LTE router. I have ported my old telkom number and everything is working fine. So you can try it for free and only apply to port your number once you are happy.

Thanks Joe_Moer
I have the same router, to get started do I need to get a specific VOip handset or can I use a normal analog handset? (This is kinda a newbie question)

Purply

Expert Member
Thanks Joe_Moer
I have the same router, to get started do I need to get a specific VOip handset or can I use a normal analog handset? (This is kinda a newbie question)

That router comes with an analogue connection at the back. Just plug in your normal phone there, it will work perfectly, no need to go buy a VOIP specific phone.

Joe_Moer

No need for a VOIP phone if you have the B315 router. I got a Bell AIR-02 DUO from Inc. Connections a while back. 2 cordless phones with individual charging cradles. Ideal if your router is stuck away in a odd place. As I said before everything was peachy until today. There seems to be a hassle at FreshPhone. The Telephone Management System page shows Network Status: Fully Operational, but device status shows offline. Guess you get what you pay for:)

Nigel_L

As I said before everything was peachy until today. There seems to be a hassle at FreshPhone. The Telephone Management System page shows Network Status: Fully Operational, but device status shows offline. Guess you get what you pay for:)

I have also had great VOIP service for the last few weeks, but it has been down since this morning :mad:

Their response to my FreshPHONE forum post is "While our servers are fully operational, our upstream network provider is having an issue with their IP network, this means that our servers utilizing their IP's are sporadically available. They assure us they are close to resolution. Sorry for the inconvenience.". I'm not sure this is the only issue since I cannot ping their SIP server.

I am using the Yealink W56H cordless VOIP handset - it's very nice....

gfmalan

Expert Member
7am
Good Day

Please note ECN are currently experiencing a Core network failure. Senior technicians are working to resolve the issues.

Further updates to follow.

11:23
Good morning

Please be aware that our senior Technicians have identified the problem and are busy recovering services.

Further updates will follow.

thank you for your patience and understanding.

Regards

13:08
Good day

Please note our engineers are still working to resolve the failure, there is no confirmed ETA as yet.

Thank you for your patience and we apologise for the inconvenience this is causing.

Kind Regards

sdhein

DECT handsets?

Indeed, it works for me too. The only problem I ran into was a web server error while loading credit, resulting in the credit "going missing". An email to the support team sorted it out pretty quickly, though.

I'm using a Gigaset A510IP VoIP DECT base station, which is compatible with the other DECT handsets that I had previously, which is nice.

Which other handsets do you have that are compatible with the A510P?

Thanks