23:13-23:14
23:15-23:23
23:23-23:25
23:26-23:27
23:27-23:28
23:29-23:37
23:37-23:40

and again from 6:27-6:37 this morning.

Only empty promises from CI and getting told after the fact that Octotel was performing the umpteenth round of maintenance on the node. Whatever they're doing is NOT working.
This is the email CISP get...

"Dear Isp Partner,

Octotel Engineers will be performing continued node maintenance in the following node:

Rondebosch

Our engineers will be performing pon port maintenance in the node which will result in certain customers in the area to lose connectivity for 5mins. No more than 30 customers will lose connectivity at a time.

The maintenance is to alleviate any potential areas of concern, to ensure all connections are in spec for all customers to experience a solid stable connection.

Please see dates and time of the maintenance schedule below:

Date: Tuesday - Thursday , 31st August- 2nd September 2021
Start time: 01:00am - 05:00am
Duration: 5 hours

The maintenance is schedule to alleviate all out of spec connections in the following area: Harfield Village - core 3 fibre infrastructure

If a customer loses connectivity between the maintenance window it is the result of the scheduled maintenance.

Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum. During this time customers may experience intermittent to no connectivity."

Not sure what you expect from your ISP, all they can do is log tickets, i know of PBCool, Websquad Rep and a close friend who works for a decent size ISP all mention the same **** they see with Octotel and have all reported it for a couple months now but they don't know how to fix it, there is high bursts of packet loss which result in extremely high ping or disconnects.

This is what R5400 to RSAWEB for a business account gives you, 50/50 meg line... Does our line stay up? Yes but we never get decent speeds, we are 3 people on the line all just using email...

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Its called OCTOFAIL for a reason. I don't get full line speed either but I am using it as a compromise. I value stability over speed. I know its not going to run at full speed, and I know my upload speed is higher than my download speed most of the time but if its stable like that, then I will use it as I can work around the speed issue. Its perhaps always worth bearing in mind we live in a third world shithole and it is maybe unreasonable to expect first world experiences, ever.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Octotel is going to try swopping out the ONT tomorrow, not sure how useful that will be but I'll try anything at this point.

As I said earlier, I'm aware that this is probably an Octotel issue, but the ISP takes my money and manages the line for me, so they are the only point of contact I have to complain to.

What bothers me is that I only get informed of the maintenance after the fact. Why does CI not tell me beforehand, so that I can know the difference between a planned and unplanned outage and react accordingly?

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Octotel is going to try swopping out the ONT tomorrow, not sure how useful that will be but I'll try anything at this point.

As I said earlier, I'm aware that this is probably an Octotel issue, but the ISP takes my money and manages the line for me, so they are the only point of contact I have to complain to.

What bothers me is that I only get informed of the maintenance after the fact. Why does CI not tell me beforehand, so that I can know the difference between a planned and unplanned outage and react accordingly?
Probably won't help.
Fun fact: they can actually access the ONT remotely. So they are well aware of their problem, but like the old days in SA, staatsgeheime. Rather deny than admit you farked up and you cannot fix it. Reminds me of the iBurst days..

I also get told about maintenance after the fact, well lately not any more at all. I asked Vox this question... still waiting for an answer, they just closed the ticket with no response. My my I am such a difficult customer, considering I haven't complained about anything until 1 July rolled around.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Update: Cool Ideas is also coming to install some kind of Microtik monitoring device tomorrow. Here's hoping between the new ONT and the monitoring device there's some kind of result.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Just spoke a friend who recently moved down to CT, lives in Claremont, on Octotel and been getting frequent disconnects as well...

ISP: Mweb

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Just spoke a friend who recently moved down to CT, lives in Claremont, on Octotel and been getting frequent disconnects as well...

ISP: Mweb
My wife is on the Whatsapp group with all the neighbours. Seeing some bitching and moaning there too, all different ISPs including MWEB and RSAWEB I think.

We all go up and down at exactly the same time. Two disconnects today the second one I know they were remote accessing the ONT to check something. It was a different kind of disconnect. you can see the ALARM LED go red. The others do not have any indication at all, except your router will tell you the PPPoE session is kaput

blaaislaai

Executive Member
Octotel here via RSAWeb.
Can confirm their network is shiiiit, also have constant disconnects.
But according to Octotel, nothing is wrong.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Octotel here via RSAWeb.
Can confirm their network is shiiiit, also have constant disconnects.
But according to Octotel, nothing is wrong.

They are still being paid every month, therefore, nothing is wrong :)

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
I wish I had another option, but Octotel is the only network in my area.
I am in the same boat. I see the ISPA is giving Vox really hard stick for their failure to liaise with Octofail on my behalf.

I've had four disconnections today in total, its not bad, its a lot better than what it was but this is one of those situations where it just cannot be the ISP.

What @PBCool said is true.. Octotel very cleverly are not members of the ISPA, because they know their equipment is cheap Korean kak

phoenix99

Expert Member
So they replaced the ONT this morning, and when I got home from work this evening the internet has been down since around 4pm.

Red lights on ALM and PON on the brand new ONT.

I just cannot win with these people i don't know how Octotel can be this terrible. It's almost a talent.

Last edited:

eddief1

Expert Member
Should probably change the thread title to "Constant disconnects on Cool Ideas Octotel", I can assure you CISP is rock solid in CT.

What is worrying is that total disconnects like this should be easy to track, if fibre ,power or optic related their OLT's logs will be full of alerts, why is it taking so long to resolve? - disconnects like this are significant and the task of replacing whole OLT's if necessary can be done in hours - bigger problem?

If CISP is having to send SD-WAN devices to clients, this to prove to Octotel that there is a problem I am afraid to say to future looks grim

phoenix99

Expert Member
I hear you, but there is an element of non communication here from CI as well. The last communication I got from them was last night at 8:20pm.

Radio silence since then.

Sure, Octotel is probably not doing anything, but as a customer, would you want your ISP to wait this long to contact you, even if just to say that there is no update from the line provider?

I don't pay Octotel, and CI readily accepted my debit order this morning, for a service that has been spotty at best for the last 3 months, and non existent for the last 17 hours.

The radio silence is rather deafening, and regardless of who is at fault, the system is designed to give me only one way to complain, and that is to the ISP.

acidrain

Executive Member
Just down the road in Wynberg, and my line is rock solid. Possible I am on a different node though.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Unfortunately I had to leave to get to work, so we'll find out later if this works or not.

Cage Rattler

Same disconnects from Cavendish Square area, multiple users experienced this over last few days.