Constant disconnects on Cool Ideas Octotel

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Here's what you need to do... go to their offices. They're in Obs
Albert Road
1630658868000.png

phoenix99

Expert Member
So Octotel put in an "older model" ONT and told me that there are factory faults on the newer ones. No idea if it's a nonsense story but the Mrs confirms that there's internet at home so we'll see how long it stays up.

Last edited:

phoenix99

Expert Member
It's been most 24 hours on this 2nd new ONT with only one connection drop for less than a minute. I am cautiously hopeful.

s0lar

Expert Member
Let’s hope same issue with CI on Octotel. Have had CI on Vuma and Openserve in the past with no issues at all. Wish I had the option but only Octotel in my current area.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Update

So it's much more stable than it has been over the last 3 months, but I'm still getting random disconnects for less than a minute at a time

Screenshot (89).png

zolly

Expert Member
@phoenix99 Saw you reply to my issues in CPT Southern Suburbs. Not sure if this affects you:

For anyone in Octotel Southern Suburbs Cape Town. From their Facebook group.

Dear Octotel Clients,

Octotel Engineers will be performing emergency continued node maintenance on our Rondebosch node.
This maintenance will result in certain customers in the area losing connectivity for 5mins. No more than 30 customers will lose connectivity at a time.

The maintenance is to alleviate any potential areas of concern, to ensure all connections are in spec for all customers to experience a stable connection.

Please see dates and time of the maintenance schedule below:

Date: Tuesday - Thursday, 7th- 9th September 2021
Start time: 01:00am - 05:00am
Duration: 5 hours

The maintenance is scheduled to alleviate all out of spec connections in the following area: Harfield Village - core 3 fibre infrastructure. Our Engineers will be on site to ensure down time is kept to an absolute minimum.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Thanks for letting me know. How do you subscribe to these notices? I never get any advance notice from CI or Octotel.

EDIT: just got the SMS from CI now to inform me of the maintenance.

Last edited:

zolly

Expert Member
Ai, finally found someone on the Octotel Southern Suburbs Facebook group who is having the same issue as me. Literally the timeouts are in sync with each other. If you are reading this thank you for posting on the Facebook group. I was going insane thinking it was just me!

Seeyou

Expert Member
Your timeouts seem to be a bit out of sync with mine, but maybe the issue is connected.

@Seeyou, your problem and mine is definitely connected. Literally with seconds of each other our lines blip out!
I'm guessing the differences are likely the error margins for loss of connectivity with each unique piece of software. My ping plotter is set to check every 1 second. Other programs might wait for a certain period of time to pass without connectivity before triggering a "no connection" condition, which would account for the delay.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Since venting my spleen and reporting my ISP to the ISPA I have had no issues. So there is no doubt Octofail is the problem.
However, I am seeing disconects during the given maintenance windows. Sucks a bit with downloads running overnight but at least the thing works during the day when I have to work

zolly

Expert Member
Since venting my spleen and reporting my ISP to the ISPA I have had no issues. So there is no doubt Octofail is the problem.
However, I am seeing disconects during the given maintenance windows. Sucks a bit with downloads running overnight but at least the thing works during the day when I have to work

My connection has periods of "6 minute timeouts". It's fine for a while, then it goes "na, I'm taking a break every 6 minutes for a few seconds". Seeyou has the same problem.

Wonder if Octotel have moved dodgy hardware around instead of just replacing it.

m0theo

I stay near Parow (Northern suburbs) in CPT - I too just had a random disconnect on Octotel/Cool Ideas a few minutes ago.

Was offline for about a minute or two. Friend of mine down the road had the same issue - also Octotel/Cool Ideas. Can only think it's on Octotel's side?

zolly

Expert Member
I have created a dedicated thread for this problem in the Southern Suburbs. If you are experiencing this problem, please post in the link below.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Ai, finally found someone on the Octotel Southern Suburbs Facebook group who is having the same issue as me. Literally the timeouts are in sync with each other. If you are reading this thank you for posting on the Facebook group. I was going insane thinking it was just me!
Octotel implemented this in crontab as a fix:

Code:
30 8-21/* * * * sleep ${RANDOM:0:20}m ; sudo reboot