Constant disconnects on Cool Ideas Octotel

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Update:

Octotel is here changing the ONT yet again. Not sure how helpful that will be.
So this is the problem we have with them. They address each issue individually, and insist that we do so individually.

When the problem is likely a single backhaul, switch or OLT that affects multiple customers.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Octotel's Korean equipment probably doesn't run Linux.. probably proprietary stuff and given how they write code, I am not surprised really...

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
So this is the problem we have with them. They address each issue individually, and insist that we do so individually.

When the problem is likely a single backhaul, switch or OLT that affects multiple customers.
Octotel are morons, even you know this

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

And we have escalated this to executives who still insist that their team will assess each issue individually, and then we get a report from the exec, basically regurgitating each issue individually as "adressed" by technical.

Which is typically just an ONT swap.

Last edited:

phoenix99

Expert Member
Over 150 disconnects in the last 24 hours
00:38
00:51
01:38
03:12
03:13-04:00 very intermittent
04:11-04:41 very intermittent
04:47-07:34 very intermittent
08:20
08:38
08:50
08:58
09:29
09:32
09:39
09:43-09:46
09:55
10:09
10:14
10:15
10:27-10:31
10:37
10:41
10:55
10:56
11:03
11:04
11:09
11:16
11:18
11:42-11:44
11:53
11:56
12:26-12:34
12:41-12:45
13:01
13:06
13:08
13:10
13:48
13:55
14:00-14:02
14:32-14:34
14:37
14:40
14:44
14:47
15:05
15:10
15:30
15:34
15:42
15:44
15:51
18:03
18:10
18:11
18:19
18:26
18:34
18:47
18:55

Octotel is just not fixing this

phoenix99

Expert Member
And we have escalates this to executives who still insist that their team will assess each issue individually, and then we get a report from the exec, basically regurgitating each issue individually as "adressed" by technical.

Which is typically just an ONT swap.
Well this has not worked for me

phoenix99

Expert Member
After waking up yesterday morning with no connection, I rebooted the ONT at around 8:30am and had what is probably the longest period of uninterrupted connection in over 3 months, until 22:13. Around 13 hours.

Then we were back to the same old issues. @PBCool Can anyone explain what happened yesterday from 8am-10pm? And what changed after that?

Outages for yesterday and this morning:
22:13
22:35
23:34
01:08
01:12-04:38 no access this entire time
06:38-06:40
06:51-07:17 no access this entire time
08:10
08:31
09:27

Feels like banging my head against a brick wall at this point.

Cube3

Expert Member
I've had the same issue with Cool Idea's for several months, actually on and off since I started using them 2 years ago.

Often they have mentioned maintenance or an outage. Somedays no issues, other days disconnects every 20 minutes for 2-5 minutes at a time, it is SO incredibly frustrating.

Oddly enough, the solution was to log into the router and click disconnect/connect on the WAN connection, which would solve the issue.... So i'm accustomed to running a constant ping and logging into my router as soon as the packet drops start, to disconnect/connect.

The issue seems to be exacerbated by the routers they provide, the TPLink Archer 750's. For a while I plugged my PC directly into the ONT, configuring a PPPoE connection via Windows, and never had a single issue for weeks. Eventually I got a router replacement from CI and the SAME DAY the issues started again.

I also recently purchased a Mikrotik, which I used for the PPPoE termination and have configured the TPLink in bridge mode, which seems to be significant improvement. While I do still get occasionally drops, its not significant enough to kill what I'm doing at the time.

So if this is an Octotel issue it would be nice if they could figure out wtf is going on and fix it.

Just to mention I'm in Tableview / Cape Town.

*edit shocking punctuation*

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I've had the same issue with Cool Idea's for several months, actually on and off since I started using them 2 years ago.

Often they have mentioned maintenance or an outage. Somedays no issues, other days disconnects every 20 minutes for 2-5 minutes at a time, it is SO incredibly frustrating.

Oddly enough, the solution was to log into the router and click disconnect/connect on the WAN connection, which would solve the issue.... So i'm accustomed to running a constant ping and logging into my router as soon as the packet drops start, to disconnect/connect.

The issue seems to be exacerbated by the routers they provide, the TPLink Archer 750's. For a while I plugged my PC directly into the ONT, configuring a PPPoE connection via Windows, and never had a single issue for weeks. Eventually I got a router replacement from CI and the SAME DAY the issues started again.

I also recently purchased a Mikrotik, which I used for the PPPoE termination and have configured the TPLink in bridge mode, which seems to be significant improvement. While I do still get occasionally drops, its not significant enough to kill what I'm doing at the time.

So if this is an Octotel issue it would be nice if they could figure out wtf is going on and fix it.

Just to mention I'm in Tableview / Cape Town.

*edit shocking punctuation*
Octotel being the common denominator here with bursts of packetloss. We have been dealing with this and Octotel on an annual basis, fine for a while then crops up again.

Seeyou

Expert Member
I'm on Web Squad, same issues with Octotel. Also recently had my ONT replaced to no avail. Honestly if Octotel were capable of fixing this issue they would have already.

marine1

Honorary Master
Same **** with Coolideas on Metrofibre
Been like this forever

phoenix99

Expert Member
Update:

CI just called to advise that Octotel wants to put my connection onto a static IP. No idea how helpful that's going to be.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Update:

CI just called to advise that Octotel wants to put my connection onto a static IP. No idea how helpful that's going to be.
It's for polling from Access Router to endpoint and to remove PPP from the equation. Basically to graph the loss on the last mile.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Update:

That's like putting a band aid on a stab wound.

As you would realise by now, this shyte is actually nothing to do with any of the Internet Service Providers.
The problem is pure incompetence from Octotel whom I am starting to suspect are run by the ex-Telkom rejects (those lazy fukkers that used to sit in the MDF room and do f-all, all day) because how many of their vans I see in Bloubergstrand/Table View, parked under a tree and them sleeping in the van or feasting on chips and burgers. I also know where they procure said food from too.

Octotel, is pure Octofail. It will limp along and as stated before, the ISPs get heavy with them and then things get better for a while then back into the old ways. The Korean junk they install, most likely the documentation is so bad that they have to figure it out for themselves.

As an objective outsider, I know the network technology from reverse engineering the ONT and from reading up on it. The product cannot perform well at line speeds higher than 30/30 per customer. I promise you, I have assisted many people in my street to downgrade from that ****ed up 100/25 product they had to something sensible.

- The higher the line speed, the worse the disconnections and poor speed/packet loss gets because the sh1tty equipment is probably being pushed to limits the translated Korean text didn't make this clear probably in the install manuals.

My line is stable because I roped the ISPA in and put up a hell of a fight to force them to put the thing back the way it was prior to 1 July. 1 July is a very significant date. They did something to the Octotel network that degraded it, and they haven't got a clue what to do about it. Knowing how Korean tech companies operate I am willing to bet that Octotel are struggling to get support to fix this issue.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
My line is stable because I roped the ISPA in and put up a hell of a fight to force them to put the thing back the way it was prior to 1 July. 1 July is a very significant date. They did something to the Octotel network that degraded it, and they haven't got a clue what to do about it. Knowing how Korean tech companies operate I am willing to bet that Octotel are struggling to get support to fix this issue.
You assume they have support from the Koreans??? :ROFL:
I phoned up Arista when I detected I was conneted to one and they said Ocotel did grey imports.