Constant disconnects on Cool Ideas Octotel

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
You assume they have support from the Koreans??? :ROFL:
I phoned up Arista when I detected I was conneted to one and they said Ocotel did grey imports.
Thanks for that most helpful contribution. I don't know everything. That explains a whole lot actually

phoenix99

Expert Member
@PBCool l static IP not helping.

Outages since change to static
11:00
11:15
12:08
12:26

It's been down solidly since 17:01. No access.

Is CI and/or Octotel seeing the down time?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
@PBCool l static IP not helping.

Outages since change to static
11:00
11:15
12:08
12:26

It's been down solidly since 17:01. No access.

Is CI and/or Octotel seeing the down time?
Since you're on a static now, I can setup our pinger in Cape Town to ping you constantly.

Please PM me the static you got assigned.

As for your outages, it's pretty much what I expected

ThatGuy_ZA

I had the exact same issues on Octotel in Kenilworth. Octotel eventually came out, replaced my ONT and all has been fine since then. I have no idea how that made such a big difference but it might be worth asking Octotel to do the same for you.

I noticed that the replacement ONT is a newer hardware revision so there might have been compatibility issues with the older ONT's.

phoenix99

Expert Member
I had the exact same issues on Octotel in Kenilworth. Octotel eventually came out, replaced my ONT and all has been fine since then. I have no idea how that made such a big difference but it might be worth asking Octotel to do the same for you.

I noticed that the replacement ONT is a newer hardware revision so there might have been compatibility issues with the older ONT's.
Thanks. Also in Kenilworth.

I'm on ONT number 3. No joy

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
OK, after having spoken to Russel, apparently you have a Mikrotik on-site, which dials PPPoE and we have a static on the mikrotik as well, for pinging purposes, that uses the static IP for getting to our pinger server.

So, Russel went ahead of me in this game ;)

It looks pretty horrific.

1631558290782.png

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
OK, after having spoken to Russel, apparently you have a Mikrotik on-site, which dials PPPoE and we have a static on the mikrotik as well, for pinging purposes, that uses the static IP for getting to our pinger server.

So, Russel went ahead of me in this game ;)

It looks pretty horrific.

View attachment 1147040
Last few hours. Where it's red, it means 100% packet loss. E.g. a total disconnection.
Seems to correlate with your last log you posted... And according to Russel, that's statically routed via the static IP, not your PPPoE connection.

1631558474448.png

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Thanks, but these are way over my head. Can you explain?
What it means is that Octotel blames our PPPoE servers for your disconnections.

And asked that we deploy a static IP that only uses ethernet, instead of PPPoE on your connection.

Your general internet traffic goes through the PPPoE connection. But we are also pinging your mikrotik OUTSIDE of the PPPoE connection using plain old ethernet, and we are graphing/tracking that.

So effectively you have "two" connections to the internet. One via PPPoE, and the other via a static IP.

And both show outages at exactly the same time.

Which means that it's not our PPPoE servers at fault, but their network. Which is what we've been complaining to them about for months.

So we have definitively proven that it's not our "PPPoE servers that are causing the disconnects".

It's their network in general. Which is what we've been escalating to them, but instead of them fixing their general backhaul, they're just swapping ONT's to "seem busy".

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Thanks, but these are way over my head. Can you explain?
They've basically proven that there's nothing wrong on the ISP side but the FTTH is performing worse than a one-leg DIS ADSL line.

Us Octo-failers have seen this before.. this is a DASAN equipment issue, not the ONT, its usually the concentrator (or whatever its called) and due to the policy of treating faults individually in an idiotic manner by Octotel, they don't see the bigger picture and don't realise that an entire piece of equipment is screwed up.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Thanks for the idiot's guide. I mean, it's deeply depressing, but at least I understand better just how woeful Octotel is.

Peon

Expert Member
Month number 4 of this
I might be joining this conversation late. Phoenix, what steps have you taken to securing your Mikrotik and locking it down? What Mikrotik is it and can you see your CPU stats?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I might be joining this conversation late. Phoenix, what steps have you taken to securing your Mikrotik and locking it down? What Mikrotik is it and can you see your CPU stats?
We're managing it on his behalf. We sent it out to diagnose.