Constant disconnects on Cool Ideas Octotel

phoenix99

Expert Member
I might be joining this conversation late. Phoenix, what steps have you taken to securing your Mikrotik and locking it down? What Mikrotik is it and can you see your CPU stats?
Microtik was installed by CI to monitor the connection.

I have not touched it.

phoenix99

Expert Member
It's up now as of 06:30, but I've already had 2 drops at 07:24 and 08:41

Zero explanation from Octotel for the 13 hour outage.

Seeyou

Expert Member
It's up now as of 06:30, but I've already had 2 drops at 07:24 and 08:41

Zero explanation from Octotel for the 13 hour outage.

Guessing they wanted to distract you from the constant disconnections by making you grateful you actually had internet at all :laugh:

phoenix99

Expert Member
Guessing they wanted to distract you from the constant disconnections by making you grateful you actually had internet at all :laugh:
Gotta love it when they shake things up to keep the terrible service experience fresh.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
I will probably get heat for this post but yeah.

DHCP doesn't solve the issue instead OCT is focused on swapping ONTs like hot potato when there is something really wrong with Rondebosch OLT or ME links to it.

165-73-124-1.ip.afrihost.capetown.png

Last edited:

Seeyou

Expert Member
Sadly there is nobody to hold them accountable, or this nonsense would be fixed by now. We know Octotel is at fault. The ISPs know Octotel is at fault. I can't imagine by now Octotel doesn't know they're at fault.

So they either can't or won't fix it. Playing musical chairs with ONT's is cheaper than fixing their network.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Sadly there is nobody to hold them accountable, or this nonsense would be fixed by now. We know Octotel is at fault. The ISPs know Octotel is at fault. I can't imagine by now Octotel doesn't know they're at fault.

So they either can't or won't fix it. Playing musical chairs with ONT's is cheaper than fixing their network.
They're in it for the money. They're not members of the ISPA for a very good reason. Clever dick move but what can I say. Owner of said company is not someone I'd do business with anyway. ISPs seem to be afraid of him for some reason but it is what it is.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Back to the same old story. Disconnects today so far.

09:23
09:40
09:42
10:38
11:58
12:30
12:41
12:46

phoenix99

Expert Member
Update

Octotel just called. Sending technicians out to my place tomorrow morning to "sort out" my line.

Stay tuned for the next installment of ONT roulette.

phoenix99

Expert Member
Octotel replaced my mid-point coupler and advised me to monitor the connection.

Here's hoping

eddief1

Expert Member
I will probably get heat for this post but yeah.

DHCP doesn't solve the issue instead OCT is focused on swapping ONTs like hot potato when there is something really wrong with Rondebosch OLT or ME links to it.

View attachment 1147262

Personally I think it is high attenuation on the ODN, ONT's sitting very close to the cut-off threshold - fluctuating in and out of it with dynamic events like temperature, movement, humidity, etc. Would love to see the receive optical levels on these ONT's

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Personally I think it is high attenuation on the ODN, ONT's sitting very close to the cut-off threshold - fluctuating in and out of it with dynamic events like temperature, movement, humidity, etc. Would love to see the receive optical levels on these ONT's
You need one of these to point to the ONT.

Its pink and costs R50195!