Constitutional Court rules Stellenbosch University change from Afrikaans to English

losta

The Constitutional Court has dismissed the appeal by Afrikaans lobby group Gelyke Kanse against the 2016 language policy of Stellenbosch University which saw English being elevated above Afrikaans as a medium of instruction.
The apex court said while most entrants to the university were able to be taught in Afrikaans, a significant minority could not understand the language which meant they were being unjustly excluded.

Proponents of education in Afrikaans say that denying people mother tongue education is catastrophic for self esteem, doesn't allow learners to achieve their potential and leads inevitably to poverty. Only subsaharan african countries are still forcing their children to study in colonial lingo. Even India and Malysia are busy getting rid of English in education.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
It was already the practice at Stellenbosch, the demographics were simply turning against the University.

RaptorSA

Expert Member
"denying people mother tongue education is catastrophic for self esteem, doesn't allow learners to achieve their potential and leads inevitably to poverty"

I'm all for creating your own goddamn universities if this language issue is such a problem, but jirre that statement is a bit rof.
As a rock spider myself I quite enjoy english classes, the Afrikaans classes I had in Potch really made f**all difference since most of us preferred reading and writing exams in english anyway.

Cius

Executive Member
No disrespect to Afrikaans (I have plenty in my ancestry and married one) but English is the international business language. Higher education in English gives you a significant advantage if you have to work overseas, or on international projects that require collaborating with others. Its not about dissing one language over another, its about the realities of the world we live in.

losta

Higher education in English gives you a significant advantage if you have to work overseas, or on international projects that require collaborating with others. Its not about dissing one language over another, its about the realities of the world we live in.

Isn't the reality that countries that offer local lingo as medium prosper and that countries (with minority english speakers) that offer medium english are dirt poor?

surface

Executive Member
What was this policy? Looking for exact details
The 2014 policy created an exclusionary hurdle for specifically black students. The university showed that classes conducted in Afrikaans, with interpreting from Afrikaans into English, made black students not conversant in Afrikaans feel marginalised, excluded and stigmatised,” Justice Froneman said.

Cius

Executive Member
Isn't the reality that countries that offer local lingo as medium prosper and that countries (with minority english speakers) that offer medium english are dirt poor?

Interesting map but of limitted use. It seems to prove that success has little to do with education language at all and more to do with other factors. Otherwise Papau new Guinee would be as successful as Australia. I think I'll stand by my statement.

konfab

Honorary Master
Delivering the judgment, Justice Johan Froneman said the university had been able to demonstrate that all Afrikaans speaking students would be able to be taught in English.
Of course, by excluding those who don't have high enough marks in English :^)

“The 2014 policy created an exclusionary hurdle for specifically black students. The university showed that classes conducted in Afrikaans, with interpreting from Afrikaans into English, made black students not conversant in Afrikaans feel marginalised, excluded and stigmatised,” Justice Froneman said.
Pack of racists, the lot of them. Firstly, not all the people who can't speak Afrikaans are black...

Secondly, wearing a set of headphones and listening to an interpreted lecture is not "marginalising" or "exclusionary". I would know this because that is how I listened to most of the lectures that I had in third and 4th year.

Thirdly, the practice of listening to a talk via interpretation isn't any of those things that this tard described it as. The UN does it, even the South African parliament does it. It is simply a reality of living in a country with multiple languages. Why doesn't the constitutional court scrap the official language status of all other languages if it is so inconvenient for black people?

The only part of Afrikaans that was a PITA was the fact that I had to provide a copy of the abstract for my undergraduate thesis in Afrikaans.

konfab

Honorary Master
What was this policy? Looking for exact details
They would offer dual medium classes where possible.
Then in the classes where it isn't possible, they would provide interpretation services. This worked both ways, as there were some Afrikaans people in my class who used them when the lecture was in English.

blah99

Was gonna happen sooner or later. Now let them build their own Afrikaans university and leave them alone.

konfab

Honorary Master
No disrespect to Afrikaans (I have plenty in my ancestry and married one) but English is the international business language. Higher education in English gives you a significant advantage if you have to work overseas, or on international projects that require collaborating with others. Its not about dissing one language over another, its about the realities of the world we live in.
No, that isn't what this is about. It is about expunging a language from academic use because of the fee fees of a couple of racial nationalists.

“The 2014 policy created an exclusionary hurdle for specifically black students. The university showed that classes conducted in Afrikaans, with interpreting from Afrikaans into English, made black students not conversant in Afrikaans feel marginalised, excluded and stigmatised,” Justice Froneman said.

surface

Executive Member
No, that isn't what this is about. It is about expunging a language from academic use because of the fee fees of a couple of racial nationalists.
Are you saying constitutional court has racial nationalists?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This ruling came as expected, but these are the words which are important,

The apex court said while most entrants to the university were able to be taught in Afrikaans, a significant minority could not understand the language which meant they were being unjustly excluded.
which should Constitutionally be applied to all other areas where exclusion occurs within the public (and public institutions). Once you open this can, it may also be loosely applied to private initiatives.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the state take Sol-Tech to the ConCourt in time.

konfab

Honorary Master
Are you saying constitutional court has racial nationalists?
Yes, they literally used a racial nationalist argument in their judgement.
Delivering the judgment, Justice Johan Froneman said the university had been able to demonstrate that all Afrikaans speaking students would be able to be taught in English.

Stating that all black students are being excluded by this policy is racial nationalism. Are the coloureds, who are predominately Afrikaans speaking, not black enough to count as black for the non-racial judges of the court?

Polymathic

Honorary Master

Another conclusion you get by looking at the map is that the vast majority of countries that provide mother tongue education are dirt poor.

That map proves nothing

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
That is half of the truth, because deep cognitive understanding is always better facilitated in your home language.
Where you're right however is that there is an inflection point in your education (somewhere at University level) where it no longer matters which language you're taught in provided that you understand the language.

I have studies in 4 different languages, my own experience has been that I don't tend to understand a foreign language if I don't understand the concept in my own language.

If we are going to have a language policy that is scientifically correct then it makes sense to teach kids in both English and other home languages.

The issue with the whole language debate is that it is tribal and ideological from the start. The contitutional court for example didn't even want to hear oral arguments in the case against the University of the Free state.

konfab

Honorary Master
This ruling came as expected, but these are the words which are important,

which should Constitutionally be applied to all other areas where exclusion occurs within the public (and public institutions). Once you open this can, it may also be loosely applied to private initiatives.

If the FF+ were trollish, they would use this judgement and apply it to parliament as the constitutional court has just ruled that listening to someone talk though an interpreter is racist and oppressive. Which means that all languages other than English should be barred from use in parliament.

Only the Queen's english shall be permitted in parliament :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

losta

That's NOT publicly financed

Nor are the Pretoria Chinese School, Lycée Jules Verne French School, Deutsche Internationale Schule Johannesburg, Japanese School in Emmarentia...

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
Another conclusion you get by looking at the map is that the vast majority of countries that provide mother tongue education are dirt poor.

That map proves nothing
I will have to look around for the statistic, but if I remember correctly then of the developed countries in the world, only Singapore teaches engineering in the non mother tongue. That is a much better statistic to look at. You're making an error of commission by lumping Venzuela with Germany for example. There are lot of other issues as to why countries don't prosper then just language.