Consumer advice - Returns

tooone7

I'm wondering who's in the right here. I bought a coffee bean / spice grinder a couple of days ago, used it once but wasn't satisfied with the consistency.

I then saw a better (burr) grinder a few days later at another shop for R80 more and purchased that, thinking I'll return the other grinder.

My question is, am I allowed to return the first grinder?

According to me I am but I went to the shop, told them I used it once but wasn't satisfied and they refused to accept the return. If the product does not meet my requirements / expectations am I not allowed to return it? How am I supposed to know if it'll be good or not?

What if I didn't use it at all? He seemed to only accept returns if the item if it's faulty.

Thanks for any advice :)

InSanity

Supre Grnadmastre
As far as I know most products cone with a 7 day satisfaction guarantee after that and. You can't

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
On the one hand, yes, in a situation like this, you can demand a refund in terms of the Consumer Protection Act.

On the other hand, don't bother asking what section that's from, because in terms of enforcing your rights here, you're on your own. The National Consumer Commission has been litigated into submission by the like of Vodacon and Monochoice, so unless you feel like litigating over a coffee grinder, you've got no chance. If you do feel like going to court, your lawyer should be able to find the relevant laws and regulations pretty easily.

Sorry for the bad news. Maybe throw a rock through their window.

Hosehead

Executive Member
On the one hand, yes, in a situation like this, you can demand a refund in terms of the Consumer Protection Act.

Sorry for the bad news. Maybe throw a rock through their window.
Ye. Now cracker will be moaning "that's right...encourage vandalism" :D

Colin62

Executive Member
If it doesn't grind adequately, then it's not fit for purpose and theoretically you can return it.