Consumer choice in South African banks

ebendl

Expert Member
A lot of people still believe in ABSA and won't move soon. I was in both banks' branches at the end of last month and the FNB was quiet (perhaps everybody was doing electronic banking?). The ABSA, on the other hand, was crazily busy.

This was in an urban setting, both branches in the same mall.

Shayd

Expert Member
I am impressed by Capitec. 11% bloody good going by the upstart.

Happily a Capitec client

R13...

Honorary Master
I thought market share figures are available? Why are we using such a small sample to determine it? These numbers don't mean anything.

ebendl

Expert Member
I am impressed by Capitec. 11% bloody good going by the upstart.

Happily a Capitec client
I've considered them times and times again, but two things stop me:
- Debit cards only - I'm used to a cheque card and credit card for online payments.
- No iPhone / Android app. Since FNB introduced these, its become my primary way of doing transactions!

TheMightyP

Yeah, Capitec's share for such a new bank must be really worrying for the big banks. Maybe they'll get the hint!

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
- Debit cards only - I'm used to a cheque card and credit card for online payments.
- No iPhone / Android app. Since FNB introduced these, its become my primary way of doing transactions!
There debit cards work online though , yeah no credit cards yet , so i am keeping my absa cc for now :(

LPCPT

I like to bank where my bond (home loan) is. Guess a lot of people reason like that. To transfer a bond can be costly.
Maybe I should go talk to FNB. Standard bank charge me alot.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Ask your Capitec Branch if they have the Capitec MasterCard debit card yet. These, unlike the Meastro etc cards, can be used online and is protected by MasterCard SecureCode.

I am also a very happy capitec client. Well done to them for unseating Nedbank. In this survey anyway. Not sure if it will stand with official figures.

Last edited:

bex.cpt

Expert Member
I want to know WHO was surveyed and if they have any freaking brains. ABSA is the worst of all the banks in South Africa yet for 6 years running they are TOP.