Consumer Protection - Macbook Pro stolen while booked in for repairs.

haraldl

I have booked my MacBook Pro into MackShack Bryanston on the 10th of January for a keyboard replacement. Spare top case was expected for delivery by beginning of February, which then moved out to March. On 4th of March 2018 I received an email that the shop had an armed robbery and my macBook was stolen. Also, that the insurance would not cover the loss, as they were only covered for new stock.
Can someone please advise if the CPA does cover this event, as I don't seem to get much joy out of MacShack.
They have committed to replace my machine, but not much seems to happen in this regard.
Thanks

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
I have booked my MacBook Pro into MackShack Bryanston on the 10th of January for a keyboard replacement. Spare top case was expected for delivery by beginning of February, which then moved out to March. On 4th of March 2018 I received an email that the shop had an armed robbery and my macBook was stolen. Also, that the insurance would not cover the loss, as they were only covered for new stock.
Can someone please advise if the CPA does cover this event, as I don't seem to get much joy out of MacShack.
They have committed to replace my machine, but not much seems to happen in this regard.
Thanks

My office is about 40 metres away from Macshack.
I doubt they had an armed robbery here. Maybe at the place they sent it for repair.

In any case, you need to push them to replace. They have lots of machines in stock, it seems

haraldl

Thank you, will probably need to get a lawyer involved, as they are really dragging their feet to replace my machine with one of same specifications.

John Tempus

Executive Member
Thank you, will probably need to get a lawyer involved, as they are really dragging their feet to replace my machine with one of same specifications.

Do what you can to get the replacement machine and then take whatever legal steps afterwards to sue them for breach of custody or whatever the legal term.

Just cause they were robbed does not mean they are void of the repercussions such as your private data that is now possibly swinging around however if you were clever enough to not include your macbook with your actual data drive then I guess you could just avoid going these extra steps.

I do find it massively amusing that they initially emailed that the theft is not covered and you should just take the loss. In fact I am literally laughing at them even relaying such an email, pure fantasy from some numb skull over there.

Katelknaap

Do you have House Contents insurance? If you do have cover with the "yellow umbrella", you should he able to claim for your laptop under your Contents cover. They have an extension of cover for items whilst at a business for repairs.