Contact details from numberplate or disk

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
The reason you go to the nearest station is so that you can get a case number immediately, if you go outside the area they will give you a temporary, and then they have to send the report to the actual station to be issued the actual case number, thus causing a delay, but yes you can go to anyone really it just speeds up the process.

OP you should get a case number, then submit to your insurance and let them deal with it.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
OK, that is good to know, but I have been told the exact opposite twice by SAPS (two separate incidents several years apart):
"go to the SAPS closest to where the accident happened".
I was told this when my vehicle was stolen. It's because they're too lazy to do the paperwork. Ask to speak to the commanding officer of the station. It's your legal right to report a crime or any incident for that matter to ANY police station. However, as mentioned earlier it may take a week or more to get a case no. as they will drive the docket between stations.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
This exactly describes what happened.

I stopped at the yield for the car that was in the circle to turn, ( note this is a two lane circle ) I was in the right hand lane as I was going to turn right so of course I go into the mini circle. But the guy in the left had lane had other ideas. He was also planning to turn right but he didn't keep to the outer circle, instead he turned into the mini circle and rode into me and then still tried to ride away.
You cannot have a two lane mini circle, and thus it was a normal circle.

Tman*

Expert Member
Let your insurance deal with it. That's what u pay them for

CB40

I was told this when my vehicle was stolen. It's because they're too lazy to do the paperwork. Ask to speak to the commanding officer of the station. It's your legal right to report a crime or any incident for that matter to ANY police station. However, as mentioned earlier it may take a week or more to get a case no. as they will drive the docket between stations.
That's if they don't lose the docket

AdrianH

Expert Member
OK, that is good to know, but I have been told the exact opposite twice by SAPS (two separate incidents several years apart):
"go to the SAPS closest to where the accident happened".
Same happened to me. Got told to so to the other a station as it is in their jurisdiction.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Well, whatever he meant, he is not talking about a mini circle,
As far as I know there's a "mini-circle" and a "major circle" and they have different rules.. I believe one is "first come first serve" and the other is "give way to your right" but I've been in Jozi too long to know which is which.