Contentious section of NHI bill signals the death of some medical aids, according to report

rvZA

Honorary Master
While disparate roleplayers in SA’s healthcare sector agree on major reforms and a right of people to access services, there is profound disagreement on the role of the private sector and medical aids in the future of the National Health Insurance (NHI) scheme.

This is according to research and interviews conducted by Section 27 and consultancy Concentric Alliance with numerous stakeholders on how to work together to fix the "fatal" stagnation in the healthcare sector. A report on the findings highlighted that people were interviewed from the national and provincial departments of health, health regulators, medical schemes, public and private health care workers, trade unions and private hospital groups, among others.

Their report found that the role of the private sector is one of the most contentious aspects of health reform in South Africa, particularly around medical schemes.

"The private health sector contributes significantly to the South African economy, is a large employer and many respondents in both the public and the private sector believe could be an important role player in health reform, having significant excess capacity and resources available," the report found.

The crux of the major disagreement is around Section 33 of the NHI Bill, which states that medical schemes may only provide cover that "constitutes complementary or top up cover and that does not overlap with the personal health care service benefits purchased by the National Health Insurance Fund on behalf of users".

R13...

Honorary Master
Exactly what the current ANC planned to do. Nationalize the private sector and kill off the economy. Make everyone equally poor and do away with inequality. NDZ - Class Suicide in action.
How will they fund government if they kill off the economy?

neoprema

Executive Member
Disagree, the medical aid schemes biggest issue is low tiered plans
The NHI eradicates these problems now they can focus on the middle and upper tiered clients, the rest will use NHI
I thought the law will say that you can only have NHI and must take top-up with a medical aid regardless of your income/affordability?

Pak Fa Fui

Expert Member
I thought the law will say that you can only have NHI and must take top-up with a medical aid regardless of your income/affordability?
Yes certain things won’t be covered by NHI for those you need a medical aid
basically NHI will cover all hospital cover and basics. Cosmetic, dental, chronic etc you will need additional cover and medical aids will cover that

rvZA

Honorary Master
How will they fund government if they kill off the economy?

Who knows and who cares? I am sure they already have a plan... which will fail. NDZ was extremely serious and open when she publicly admitted that they have to use the Covid 19 pandemic to commit class suicide and do away with inequality in SA. Parliament later backed her all the way in her statement and plan to do away with inequality.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Disagree, the medical aid schemes biggest issue is low tiered plans
The NHI eradicates these problems now they can focus on the middle and upper tiered clients, the rest will use NHI
If you end up staying in RSA, everyone will be forced to use NHI!

Stonemason

If you end up staying in RSA, everyone will be forced to use NHI!
The concept of NHI is a total myth. The Department of Health also lives in a dream world if they think all the money that currently goes to medical aid will go to the NHI.

I currently pay more than R10 000 a month for my medical aid and it is worth every cent. Should the government abolish private healthcare I will adjust my income to ensure than they do not get anything and get my medical insurance and care in another country.

There is simply no way that I will wait in long rows at a rat-infested government facility for medical care.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
The concept of NHI is a total myth. The Department of Health also lives in a dream world if they think all the money that currently goes to medical aid will go to the NHI.

I currently pay more than R10 000 a month for my medical aid and it is worth every cent. Should the government abolish private healthcare I will adjust my income to ensure than they do not get anything and get my medical insurance and care in another country.

There is simply no way that I will wait in long rows at a rat-infested government facility for medical care.
Of course its a myth. And it's also laughable they've gone to the colonialists (England!) for more information on how to do it. Funny how they're colonisers one minute, and then awesome to feed off the next.
Not sure if you know how much medical insurance and care in other countries costs? Better to just move.

Cius

Executive Member
My daughter lives with a life threatening genetic condition. On private medical aid I get world class care for her. We know people via the various support groups that are on government care for the same condition and we have watched them dying like flies over the years due to absolute neglect. If this becomes a thing, the middle class will leave SA and the country will implode. You cannot mess with people's healthcare and not destroy an economy. If they want to fix the public health sector they have my blessing. Just leave private alone for those that want it as an alternative. Of course we all know the real reason. Corruption and incompetence. The solution to all SA's problems lie in fixing education and employment. Two things the ANC is incapable of doing.