Contentious section of NHI bill signals the death of some medical aids, according to report

Drifter

Honorary Master
Yes certain things won’t be covered by NHI for those you need a medical aid
basically NHI will cover all hospital cover and basics. Cosmetic, dental, chronic etc you will need additional cover and medical aids will cover that
Then NHI is a failure. That is exactly what the masses cant afford, hence the idea of NHI.

Werner1975

These doctors spent a lot of money on their qualification, they are probably in demand all over the world. If they can't get their money here they'll just go overseas and we'll have nothing (they'll probably do just that after this dumb abortion is implemented). The cost of the equipment is also quite high, it will never be cheap. If you want it cheap someone has to cover the cost of it. And in this case the user pays. I also can't really afford medical aid but I have no choice, I have a network plan. And if this fck up comes in I won't be able to afford this medical aid anymore. That will make the queues even longer for public healthcare, meaning the service you get now will become even worse.

You're honestly even dumber than eg2505, and I never thought that would be possible.
Maybe I am dumb and naive but I will not stoop to the level of personal insults. Take care - NHI is coming and I can't be happier. Until time proves the system to be a total failure, I live in optimism.

YoungSandwich

Maybe I am dumb and naive but I will not stoop to the level of personal insults. Take care - NHI is coming and I can't be happier. Until time proves the system to be a total failure, I live in optimism.
Here is a nice list of failed departments that your optimism can get you:

South African Airways
South African Broadcast Commission
South African Defense Force
Home Affairs
South African Post Office
South African Police Service
South African Department of Education
Eskom
Denel

Everyone, feel free to add

Thugscub

Expert Member
Wish I had your outlook. The government has been a total failure in everything it touches. Reply to Werner.

Moto Guzzi

Expert Member
All new developments should be halted(THe price of corruption) till country had been cleaned of corruption, books cleaned as well. You cannot start a future from a corrupt base, the next 30 years will look the same as past and worse. You cannot waste money, it just flow beteen accounts, however in the process RESOURCES(Multiples) are wasted, now the question is can you afford to waste more resources again like the last 30 years, afterall its the resources lack of that starve you to death not money, no resources, money worth zero and you cannot eat or drink money.

BBSA

Honorary Master
You looking forward to the day you can leech of other people, that is really sad.

Why don't you rather improve your skills and get a better job so you can afford medical aid?

Grant

Honorary Master
There is no such thing in South Africa. There used to be several but bad management and ignorance destroyed them all
You do realise of course, all those brilliant doctors in private health care, were trained in state hospitals?

Grant

Honorary Master
It's not the medical aids who drive up costs. It is the providers, the medical aids would prefer it if costs were lower and nearly all of them try to negotiate prices with providers to cut on costs.
So a dirty little secret. I'm involved in two legal matters, one involving a particular doctor, and the other involving netcare.

3 things have emerged :
My mother's right leg was injured in theatre during the amputation of the right leg.
Netcare continued to quietly invoice the medical scheme to treat the injury caused by themselves.

Then came a surgical infection - again netcare continued invoicing the medical scheme for the treatment of an infection acquired in their own operating theatres..

Total medical costs charged to the medical scheme for the treatment of injuries caused to their own patient - just short of R1.7m.

This happens all over the country, and the cost of medical aid keeps leaping up

LetsDance

Expert Member