Contract price comparison - Samsung Galaxy S5 vs HTC One M8 vs Sony Xperia Z2

Daruk

Honorary Master
LOL...
Ripoff.
R8k for a phone. Sorry.

Just my opinion though. I know these things will sell.

Paul_S

Expert Member
LOL...
Ripoff.
R8k for a phone. Sorry.
R8K for a miniaturised, quad/octa core mobile PC, full HD screen, 2/3GB RAM which is also capable of taking photos, making phone calls and can be used as a GPS navigation device.
Which PC's or laptops can do the above for a similar price tag and still be small enough to carry in your pocket?

FaSMaN

Expert Member
My S3 mini is capable of doing all those things apart from the Full HD screen.
For all intensive purpose it depends on the person, for most a S3/4/5 Mini is perfect, but I use my phone maybe 4-10hours a day, it allows me to be completely paperless and keep everything digitally, the sharp camera allows me to scan documents simply by taking a picture to email work colleagues , the bigger screen allows me to draw on those photos to point out errors , my phone has trueally become a irreplaceable dayly asset.

The faster CPU makes a huge difference with VNC based apps, and the server utilities I run on it as well.

I could probably use something cheaper but for the amount of work I do it , it will be nothing but frustration. So R400 a month not only makes me more productive but saves me a lot headaches, it has saved my ass more of then than not especially in places where I simply can't rip out the laptop,roof tops, site installs etc....

Dolby

Honorary Master
They don't have the Sony Z2 on FNB ; they have the Sony Z Ultra for R399.00 though.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Oh right. Strange - not on my profile not not here https://www.fnb.co.za/promotions/smartphoneTabletOffer/Smartphone-Tablet-Offer.html I wonder how you'd go about getting it?

On another side - FNB is expensive nowadays. I remember getting my iPad about 2.5 years back at R4800.00 (R200.00pm) which was cheaper than the cash price of R5,600.00. Nowadays you don't even get the cash price anymore.

Plus I think some of the Vodacom deals came with Smartband (R900.00) as well the data, minutes and all those good things

TJ99

Honorary Master
LOL...
Ripoff.
R8k for a phone. Sorry.

Just my opinion though. I know these things will sell.
The Xperia X10 cost R9000 four years ago

naaiPhones cost R11k, think it's more now.

Vodacom contracts used to be the cheapest way to get a new phone, but since they dumped all their good contracts and chose to keep only the ****ty "Smart" (lol irony) or Red contracts that only business users or oil tycoons can ever afford, they're no longer worth it.

TJ99

Honorary Master
R8K for a miniaturised, quad/octa core mobile PC, full HD screen, 2/3GB RAM which is also capable of taking photos, making phone calls and can be used as a GPS navigation device.
Which PC's or laptops can do the above for a similar price tag and still be small enough to carry in your pocket?
And phone batteries last all day, or at least half a day of constant use. You're lucky if a laptop battery lasts 3-4 hours.

Daruk

Honorary Master
The Xperia X10 cost R9000 four years ago

naaiPhones cost R11k, think it's more now.

Vodacom contracts used to be the cheapest way to get a new phone, but since they dumped all their good contracts and chose to keep only the ****ty "Smart" (lol irony) or Red contracts that only business users or oil tycoons can ever afford, they're no longer worth it.
I'm sure all you're saying is that highend phones have always been overpriced and I'm sure we're in agreement.

Daruk

Honorary Master
My existing phone does most of that for a heck of a lot less. Full HD screen? Why? Octa core? Why?