Control Lights at Home with a smartphone

Nate3268

Good day all, as the heading states, can anyone assist or direct in the right direction to setup and control lights at home using a smartphone and an app.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
You can either - get smart lights,or smart switches,or a all-in one smart solution that includes the light control. Proficiency in PCs/Electronics/Electric would determine how much of that you can self-install and configure

SAguy

Expert Member
You're going to have to decide on a few things:
1. How willing are you to tinker with code, scripts, etc. Do you just want a plug in, install app, and start working kind of setup?

2. Do you want/need to be able to switch thing on and off when you're not at home?

3. Are you ok with your devices being on the cloud, taking the small risks of data collection and hacking.

REAList_1

Stay with day nite controls for outside.
The new led globes use so little electricity it is not worth it to switch them on and off.
I saw photos of a modified db and it was impressive - not to mention totally out of my expertise level... :)

chrissi001

Hi,

ABB has tech called smart at home. its pretty simple to program, as simple as connecting dots with a line (literally). No need for coding and advanced programing.

PM me if you would like more details.

alqassam

Expert Member
Stay with day nite controls for outside.
The new led globes use so little electricity it is not worth it to switch them on and off.
I saw photos of a modified db and it was impressive - not to mention totally out of my expertise level... :)
Day night sensor costs around R100, so does a sonoff basic. To me it's a no brainer to use the sonoff.

sonoff switches - cheapish to buy on Banggood.com (especially if you are buying more than one) +- 2 weeks for delivery to SA