Controversy hits new Afrikaans reality show Kwarantyn after a contestant used the k-word live on air

Sollie

Executive Member
The argument is.
Everything can be used as a term of endearment.
I was called ( in loving fashion) by my granny: my K*****kie
My M****kie
And in the same breath they didn’t use those words as insults just as descriptions.
( not saying it is right)
So I grew up with those words as terms of endearment, i’m old as **** we weren’t allowed in adult conversations much and news were for adults.

So blissfully i grew up and then as an adult finds out ooohhh its not nice to speak like that.
I was pigheaded at first because: its not bad words! But jou know what. C*nt is such a better word.. and the kitty cat one...

So i had to learn to use other words.
It was hard and it exist in my brain. So i can understand if there are people that ( without hate) can use a word like Kpak. Because its there in your brain.

Just stop using it.
Leave it for the history books.
Its not worth debating its a word, stop using it And it will disappear. Like poespas. And in 100 years people can cringe and google the meaning.

( yes yes I know soon C*nt will be banned because some kind of gender something will have an issue with it, I learned just this past week , on MBB, Karen is racist... well I still like using Karen.. i’m pigheaded about that for now)
Unfortunately South African's reality won't matter to people that absolutely want to take insult, need to not accept actually quite recent history, people that grew up thinking they know absolutely everything because the internet says so.

On that note, I notice the carrion flies have arrived for a vigorous rogering of civil discourse ...

/me out.

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Unfortunately South African's reality won't matter to people that absolutely want to take insult, need to not accept actually quite recent history, people that grew up thinking they know absolutely everything because the internet says so.

On that note, I notice the carrion flies have arrived for a vigorous rogering of civil discourse ...

/me out.

Your obsession is quite quaint, Solomon.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Words can not be racist.
Just like guns don’t kill people

People.

But not everyone with a gun is a killer.
Not everyone with that word is a racist..

Stop making these broad statements, you sound racist.
To paraphrase George Carlin:

That's what they told us they were, remember? "That's a bad word!" There are no bad words, there's bad thoughts, bad intentions, and words!

Gnome

Executive Member
Just stop using it.
Leave it for the history books.
Its not worth debating its a word, stop using it And it will disappear. Like poespas. And in 100 years people can cringe and google the meaning.
+1

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
It’s understandable that they aren’t. I’m just trying to understand why k-pak would be any different.

I’m sure someone will say I’m only looking for definitions that suit me except that I can’t find any other definitions.

View attachment 867259
View attachment 867261
*EDUCATIONAL*

The K-word as published in the HAT in 1965.

K***er

1. Inboorling van die Bantoeras [in Suid-Afrika] - tans as skeldnaam gevoel; Bantoe: Die oorloë tussen die blankes en die K***ers. Die K***ers van die Oostelike Provinsie.

2. Manlike Bantoe; jong: Vir skoffelwerk gebruik ons m***e, nie K***ers nie.

UITDR.: K***er, Moor, Indiaan, almal sonder onderskeid. Die K***er nek omdraai, die botteldrank oopmaak.
K***er-Afrikaans

Geradbraakte Afrikaans, krom Afrikaans, soos deur ongeletterde Bantoes gepraat
K***eragtig

b.nw. en bw. Ook K***erig. Soos 'n K***er: minder beskaaf; onopgevoed: 'n K***eragtige handelwyse. K***eragtige maniere. Jou K***eragtige gedrag.
K***erbees

1. Benaming vir die oorspronkilike beesras wat die inboorlinge in Suid-Afrika besit het toe the blankes die eerste keer hier kom woon het: Die ou K***erbeeste het feitlik verdwyn.

2. K***erbees. Bees wat nie 'n bekende stamboom het nie; minderwaardige tipe van bees, dikwels klein met groot horings: Hy boer sommmer met K***erbeeste
K***erbesem

Tuisgemaakte besem van boomtakkies, besembos of ander struike: K***erbesems van Jannewariebos.
K***erdom

Al die K***ers: Die hele K***erdom sal nog Christene word.
K***erpak

1. Goeie pak slae: 'n K***erpak kry. Iemand 'n K***erpak gee.

2. Beslissende nederlaag, veral op die sportgebied: Die besoekende voetbalspan is hier met 'n k***erpak weg.
There is a lot more to quote, but I believe the above is enough to establish context. To begin, it had a multi-application. Three use cases,

1) Generally, it was applied to describe the Bantu peoples including the Bushmen and other indigenous specimens like trees, vegetables, birds, etc.

2) It was used as a scorn name, it is explicitly condescending, and yes, it is patronising superiority with or without racial connotation (without distinction).

3) Used as an expression without racial connotation, but with a RELIGIOUS, INFERIOR and or SUPERIORITY context, and yes, I put those three words in ALL CAPS.

There is one more word I want to add,

K***erwerk

Werk wat deur K***ers verrig word [en eintlik benede die waardigheid van 'n witmens geag word]: Ek doen nie K***erwerk nie. Gaan doen jou K***erwerk self.
and I actually brought it up as a topic in another thread related to B-BBEE, that white people are selective with employment opportunities. I gave some people a stroke when I said it, it was a thing back then and it is still a thing today.

I am not going to quote any more words. These words, except those related to indigenous specimens, have been removed.

Reactions: STS

Oldfut

I'm looking for middle ground of which there is none on this issue in SA.

For most people from KZN in particular and with some knowledge of Zulu (isiZulu) I think it should be well known that the "white" or Zulu version of the word is a grievous insult. It was made clear to me almost 60 years ago, emphasised with a clout from my otherwise very loving grandfather. In my assessment, the Concourt takes a similar view although, being steeped in racism, makes the severity of the insult linked to white people. But, in my view, and from world interpretation, grievous insult is not "hate speech". One definition (easiest to find) is that hate speech is "public speech that expresses hate or encourages violence towards a person or group based on something such as race, religion, sex, or sexual orientation is intended to incite harm" There may be others, particularly in Alice in Wonderland SA.

But having it wound into quite a few objects, expressions and nicknames seems to make it difficult to eliminate or avoid completely, as ou Kwarantyn found out.

I think SA's overall obsession with white on black racism is also reflected in legislation and sanctioning body interpretation whereby "hurtful" can pretty much equal hate speech. Well, er, or not, as shown by the convoluted contortions of these various bodies to exonerate Julius Malema but jail Momberg.

As I see it in this climate, pretty much any white insulting a black person can expect severe sanction, including imprisonment. In the opposite case, any sanction is unlikely or likely to be limited. The situation is unlikely to change as I think racial division in pretty much every aspect of public life is continually promoted from the highest political level in the ruling party and others as a political tool.

It is thus, live with it, minority whitey must be very careful out there and/or plan accordingly.

STS

Mafia Detective
and I actually brought it up as a topic in another thread related to B-BBEE, that white people are selective with employment opportunities. I gave some people a stroke when I said it, it was a thing back then and it is still a thing today.

I am not going to quote any more words. These words, except those related to indigenous specimens, have been removed.
As to the last word, I still hear it used in the mines and saw a foreman willingly resign under what he termed the above mentioned words work conditions.

We as people as a whole have a lot of problems we need to work through

HunterNW

Honorary Master
As to the last word, I still hear it used in the mines and saw a foreman willingly resign under what he termed the above mentioned words work conditions.

We as people as a whole have a lot of problems we need to work through
We as people create a lot of problems. We look for schit in every nook and corner.

Reactions: STS

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
Don't start using swartpak as a substitute as the connotation will be the same. A black eye is stil a blou oog. Die aand bly donker, en skoolskoene is nog steeds swart.
Those round black sweets that you used to by at the shop as a kid. Your kids shouldn't be calling it by that other name.

Last edited:

Flarsiep

few years ago on a rugbyfield... man we killed it. totally overpowered the black team, they had no ball to play with, massive score.
So we circle up, say thanks to each other for a clean, fun (for us :p ) game. their captain walk to the middle of the circle...
"Fokkit bois, dit was 'n k-pak....". And my team just stand there, wtf? can we laugh? can we agree?
I bit the bullit, and started to laugh.. Then said, ja, maar as julle boikies die bal gehad het was dit 'n boermoer.'

Man, we snorted and laughed. Today, i do not think that will float anymore...

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
few years ago on a rugbyfield... man we killed it. totally overpowered the black team, they had no ball to play with, massive score.
So we circle up, say thanks to each other for a clean, fun (for us :p ) game. their captain walk to the middle of the circle...
"Fokkit bois, dit was 'n k-pak....". And my team just stand there, wtf? can we laugh? can we agree?
I bit the bullit, and started to laugh.. Then said, ja, maar as julle boikies die bal gehad het was dit 'n boermoer.'

Man, we snorted and laughed. Today, i do not think that will float anymore...
I always have that wtf moment when I hear a black guy use that word, it hasn't happened often but it's so suprising and out of the blue when it does, because it's rare to hear anyone else use it anymore.

abzo

forum angel
I always have that wtf moment when I hear a black guy use that word, it hasn't happened often but it's so suprising and out of the blue when it does, because it's rare to hear anyone else use it anymore.
I’m more surprised that the black guys were speaking Afrikaans. It’s mostly the older generation that does. You’ll hardly find younger black people speaking Afrikaans now. Unless this incident was 20+ years ago?

Flarsiep

I’m more surprised that the black guys were speaking Afrikaans. It’s mostly the older generation that does. You’ll hardly find younger black people speaking Afrikaans now. Unless this incident was 20+ years ago?
4 years... In the Super A league most clubs speaks afrikaans on the field. black coloured or white. The muslim clubs would be bit more english, but almost everyone understands afrikaans.
I also say black, but coloured team would be more correct, Not many true black teams around in the A or even B league. White or coloured mostly, with smattering of black players.

abzo

forum angel
4 years... In the Super A league most clubs speaks afrikaans on the field. black coloured or white. The muslim clubs would be bit more english, but almost everyone understands afrikaans.
I also say black, but coloured team would be more correct, Not many true black teams around in the A or even B league. White or coloured mostly, with smattering of black players.
That makes more sense. Predominantly coloured group. They also seem to use the K word a lot. I just can’t picture a group of black guys speaking Afrikaans to each other.