Convert Charcoal Braai to Gas (Advice)

RedViking

Nord of the South
I want to convert my braai to gas because charcoal is getting expensive and the quality is getting worse. No, I do not want to use wood. :sneaky:

Is it possible and what must I buy to convert it to gas (besides the gas bottle). Links will be helpful.

This is my braai:

IMG_20181205_123042.jpg

3WA

Honorary Master
Just put your meat on that braai grid, connect a hose to the gas bottle, light it up for a make-shift blow torch, and use that to cook.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Just put your meat on that braai grid, connect a hose to the gas bottle, light it up for a make-shift blow torch, and use that to cook.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 3WA

Sinbad

Honorary Master
a gas grate of some sort, valve, regulator, hoses and cylinder. And flamesuit, possibly a lexan or polycarbonate shield as well.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
This shouldn't be too hard. I would look for spare burners for a gas braai. You can find the bushbaby ones at Checkers but these are average quality. If possible find some nice Cadac ones with a proper 'shield' that covers the burners from dripping fat. You will also need to get a Piezo Igniter, I see builders has one listed here:

https://www.builders.co.za/Garden-&...zFBXDfeQlkFoWPl2aeQNxr9BNXhRY8KoaAqr1EALw_wcB

You will need to drill some holes in the base of the braai to insert the burners and you will need to find a few brackets to brace them and the gas / electric lines. I suggest coating the brackets in some kind of fireproof paint coating as they will rust pretty quickly.

Nice braai by the way. My old man has the exact same braai and has been using it at least twice a week for the past decade. The stainless steel is of exceptional quality.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This shouldn't be too hard. I would look for spare burners for a gas braai. You can find the bushbaby ones at Checkers but these are average quality. If possible find some nice Cadac ones with a proper 'shield' that covers the burners from dripping fat. You will also need to get a Piezo Igniter, I see builders has one listed here:

https://www.builders.co.za/Garden-&-Outdoor-Living/Braai/Braai-Accessories/Braai-Tools/Alva-BA119-Replacement-Piezo-Kit/p/000000000000553015?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi57gBRDqARIsABhDSMpKiZCr9sdSeWxa-UkZjv3zFBXDfeQlkFoWPl2aeQNxr9BNXhRY8KoaAqr1EALw_wcB

You will need to drill some holes in the base of the braai to insert the burners and you will need to find a few brackets to brace them and the gas / electric lines. I suggest coating the brackets in some kind of fireproof paint coating as they will rust pretty quickly.

Nice braai by the way. My old man has the exact same braai and has been using it at least twice a week for the past decade. The stainless steel is of exceptional quality.

I love it. Awesome braai and doesn't rust. Used to use it at least 3 times a week, but life got too expensive very quickly.

ArmatageShanks

Honorary Master
This is not fair, how are the neighbors supposed to smell that lekker vuur when you use gas?