Cool Ideas - Cancellation Fee to Cancel A Service??? R1500

RyJas

Howzit MyBB Community,

Recently, Openserve announced price reductions across their product range,. Afrihost very quickly responded, by initiating a free upgrade campaign! Same bucks...more speed.

As a then loyal Cool Ideas customer, I called to enquire as to what their plans were. They weren't able to confirm initially, whether or not they would be offering the same benefit to their customers. So I cancelled my line - with the mandatory one months notice, and signed up at Afrihost for a similarly priced package with obvious better line speed.

Cool Ideas then contacted me and politely informed me of their intention to roll out a similar campaign, and asked whether or not I would consider remaining a customer of theirs, to which I gladly obliged. To my surprise, I received an email from their accounts department, requesting my authorization to be charged R1500 to cancel the cancellation - yes, that's right, I need to pay Cool Ideas, an additional R1500 to remain a customer of theirs. Is this practice considered normal in the ISP industry? Is there a reason for them wanting to do something like this?

If anyone has some insight here, I'd appreciate it.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Howzit MyBB Community,

Recently, Openserve announced price reductions across their product range,. Afrihost very quickly responded, by initiating a free upgrade campaign! Same bucks...more speed.

As a then loyal Cool Ideas customer, I called to enquire as to what their plans were. They weren't able to confirm initially, whether or not they would be offering the same benefit to their customers. So I cancelled my line - with the mandatory one months notice, and signed up at Afrihost for a similarly priced package with obvious better line speed.

Cool Ideas then contacted me and politely informed me of their intention to roll out a similar campaign, and asked whether or not I would consider remaining a customer of theirs, to which I gladly obliged. To my surprise, I received an email from their accounts department, requesting my authorization to be charged R1500 to cancel the cancellation - yes, that's right, I need to pay Cool Ideas, an additional R1500 to remain a customer of theirs. Is this practice considered normal in the ISP industry? Is there a reason for them wanting to do something like this?

If anyone has some insight here, I'd appreciate it.
This is more around a sequence of events, Openserve charge us R1500 to reverse a cancellation if not done within a certain time, so events from one team then rolling onto another team following policy. Let me resolve it for you. Do you have your account ref for me?

Last edited:

VindicatoR

This is more around a sequence of events, Openserve charge us R1500 to reverse a cancellation if not done within a certain time, so events from one team then rolling onto another team following policy. Let me resolve it for you. Do you have your account ref for me?
Hey @PBCool, how long is the "within a certain time" as a friend of mine might be in a similar situation?