Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

blunt

Expert Member
it removes last mile packetloss, edit: it's still there but there is no loss between proxy server and source.
I was told that this behavior is indicative of packetloss on my line, and international throughput suffers badly due to certain tcp mechanisms which the proxy server handles more efficiently. It still doesn't make complete sense to me as surely the loss will still be there from my house, through the Vuma network, to the CISP proxy? :unsure: CISP are also adamant that there is nothing wrong with their network, so that means it has to be the Vuma line.
Hmm ok.. so for international where pings are higher the packetloss is more profound

conman77

Hello PBCool

I am having issues with my speed tests, I'm getting a max of 185Mbits up and down on 200/200 connection, on cable and tested on ont.
https://www.speedtest.net/result/8271049107

I have noticed the line does drop recently for around 5min at a time, which could be the issue.

Here is my reported ticket
#COOL-20190517-267947

I am waiting for someone to assist when possible.

Thank you

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hmm ok.. so for international where pings are higher the packetloss is more profound
Packet loss will have a higher impact on international as higher latency impacts your TCP/IP window scaling speed and it will take longer to resubmit packages that were lost.

image132

Expert Member
Yup. So think about it like this. If you just connect to say twitch, you're probably going to have 140-170ms. If you lose a packet (thanks to FNO and your last mile) it means twitch now has wait 140ms for another one to be sent. That is a huge amount of time. If you use the proxy to connect to twitch. You now have 1ms to the proxy and 140 with no packet loss to twitch. So when your last mile packet loss kicks in the proxy is only waiting 1ms for the packet to get re-transmitted. Thus you get a better experience.

That's how I made sense of it anyway.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hello PBCool

I am having issues with my speed tests, I'm getting a max of 185Mbits up and down on 200/200 connection, on cable and tested on ont.

I have noticed the line does drop recently for around 5min at a time, which could be the issue.

#COOL-20190517-267947

Thank you
Hi, is this a new thing or been that way since the start? This on Vumatel Aerial I imagine?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yup. So think about it like this. If you just connect to say twitch, you're probably going to have 140-170ms. If you lose a packet (thanks to FNO and your last mile) it means twitch now has wait 140ms for another one to be sent. That is a huge amount of time. If you use the proxy to connect to twitch. You now have 1ms to the proxy and 140 with no packet loss to twitch. So when your last mile packet loss kicks in the proxy is only waiting 1ms for the packet to get re-transmitted. Thus you get a better experience.

Yeap called re-transmits.

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Hello PBCool

#COOL-20190517-267947

Thank you
That does not look like issues at all? Why do you think there's an issue?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member

But now if the packet loss was due to the international line, wouldn't the proxy server have to wait for the 140ms for the new packet to be sent to it before it could send it onto your computer anyway?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Packet loss will have a higher impact on international as higher latency impacts your TCP/IP window scaling speed and it will take longer to resubmit packages that were lost.
Yes so the TCP window will scale up until the whole frame doesn't make it across, it then scales down until it's stable etc. If there is constant loss then the window never has the opportunity to scale up and so your throughput suffers.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
But now if the packet loss was due to the international line, wouldn't the proxy server have to wait for the 140ms for the new packet to be sent to it before it could send it onto your computer anyway?
The re-transmit time to the proxy is a few ms vs ~140ms to the international side, and remember the proxy is relaying the traffic to you. IE it fetches and sends it to you.

image132

Expert Member
Since the proxy has no loss that's not applicable unless an international cable breaks and when that happens all hell breaks loose on here so its usually pretty obvious.

Because the proxy server has no loss by connecting to it your basically bringing international here because your computer only ever has to connect to it. If the proxy doesn't help with streaming then there's a bigger issue around.

conman77

That does not look like issues at all? Why do you think there's an issue?
well for the last few years i have also got 200/200 and only recently with what appears to be line drops is it getting a max of 185 up and down, so this isn't usual for me.

TheV

Having my 100Mbit line run at 5Mbit on international traffic (OpenServe) and getting this response from support:
Please be advised that speeds are not guaranteed internationally as we do not have control over the path your connection takes when leaving South African borders.
Yeah, these guys can eat a bag. Off I go looking for a different provider. I will gladly take my money elsewhere.

chrisGolf

Having my 100Mbit line run at 5Mbit on international traffic (OpenServe) and getting this response from support:

Yeah, these guys can eat a bag. Off I go looking for a different provider. I will gladly take my money elsewhere.
yip, I've had the same response.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Please give me your ticket number?

jannier

Expert Member
well for the last few years i have also got 200/200 and only recently with what appears to be line drops is it getting a max of 185 up and down, so this isn't usual for me.
Have you tested a few speedtest servers in your area?
Some speedtest servers sometimes also encounter issues.

under_sky

Expert Member

Dam those are the answers that made me leave my previous provider. I seriously think the support staff they use are so out of their depth please just employ the correct people and not low salary takers