Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

underdose

Hello All, Anyone have a suggestion why when playing online, games that used to have lowest latency to the UK, have now shifted to Sao Paulo? Historically latency was around 170ms to UK, now UK is 190ms, and climbing. Also experiencing packet loss, and then during the day, websites etc are horribly slow. Openserve + CISP. TIA
Latency to UK increased by at least 10ms (was 170ms, now ~180ms, measured from where I live) after CISP changed carrier to EU iirc. And to add to that, peering over SACS cable to Brazil went live last week, with a latency of 170ms. That's why the games you play pick Sao Paulo over UK.

Can't say anything about the packet loss and slow web surfing tho.

Leakysandwich

Good day @PBCool
Please assist with COOL-20190802-288010
Have yet to get ANY assistance with an issue 5 days after it was logged...

Tickets gets automatically closed before it is resolved, feedback from the support staff takes days, with no actual assistance.
This is also not the first time that this is the case - seems to be the norm with CoolIdeas support :mad:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Good day @PBCool
Please assist with COOL-20190802-288010
Have yet to get ANY assistance with an issue 5 days after it was logged...

Tickets gets automatically closed before it is resolved, feedback from the support staff takes days, with no actual assistance.
This is also not the first time that this is the case - seems to be the norm with CoolIdeas support :mad:
Have escalated for you.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
We are trialling the accelerator across all JHB customers since this afternoon. Let me know if you notice any changes.

ViVox

Cool Ideas have really hit a new low. After effectively having no internet during the evenings for four weeks, and logging tickets only to get a “…is this still an issue?” and no other help offered response 8 days later, I decided to move to a new ISP.

Now Cool Ideas refuses to release my fibre line to the new ISP until my notice period of a calendar month is over.

Just for the record, I’ve paid for the notice period, without getting any help to restore my service, so they effectively lose nothing and I'm stuck without internet for another month.

How is that for just pure, evil, spitefulness?

Stay away from Cool Ideas. If they’re not ignoring your tickets, they’re screwing you on the way out.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Cool Ideas have really hit a new low. After effectively having no internet during the evenings for four weeks, and logging tickets only to get a “…is this still an issue?” and no other help offered response 8 days later, I decided to move to a new ISP.

Now Cool Ideas refuses to release my fibre line to the new ISP until my notice period of a calendar month is over.

Just for the record, I’ve paid for the notice period, without getting any help to restore my service, so they effectively lose nothing and I'm stuck without internet for another month.

How is that for just pure, evil, spitefulness?

Stay away from Cool Ideas. If they’re not ignoring your tickets, they’re screwing you on the way out.
Hi there, do you have a reference number for me to escalate? It is why we have these channels to assist :)

Charmingmage10

There are two trials.

1.) A twitch specific relay in the UK to optimize twitch streaming (you have to ask me to add you to the experiment)
2.) A general TCP accelerator for everyone in Joburg.
will Durban also be on trial soon?

blunt

Expert Member
There are two trials.

1.) A twitch specific relay in the UK to optimize twitch streaming (you have to ask me to add you to the experiment)
2.) A general TCP accelerator for everyone in Joburg.
And CPT?

User52

Durban routes through JHB for international so already on it.
Was going to ask, as I’m seeing Speedtest results around 2x as fast as a few days ago. I’m getting full line speed to London and NY. Was about 100mbps and now over 200mbps. Very consistent as well.

OCP

Expert Member
Morning!

I've been using my Mikrotik router no problem since the fibre was installed but will be replacing it with an Ubiquity USG.
Can simply swap the routers or is the active router's MAC address locked to the PPPOE account?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Was going to ask, as I’m seeing Speedtest results around 2x as fast as a few days ago. I’m getting full line speed to London and NY. Was about 100mbps and now over 200mbps. Very consistent as well.
NY traffic isn't accelerated as yet as the whole network picks this route up via Cape Town, but it would be should we be happy with the results in JHB.