Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

cvs

Hi Guys, I'm with cool Ideas and have a security concern. Been using them just over a month. Logged endless calls streaming is the worst and funny enough downloads are fine. Anyway yesterday I was setting up a range extender at home and realized I was receiving a IP address from a 192.168.1.1. I then connected to a router being used by daniel.marais@coolideas.co . How is it possible that I can connect to a random person's router from my home ???? Is the routing messed up causing all this connection streaming issues ?

km2

Expert Member
@PBCool Internet has been dead for 24 hours+ and had submitted a ticket (#COOL-20190812-291541), but received no response or follow-up. Makes me unsure if someone is working on it or if it's just disappeared into the void.

cvs

did you range extender not connect to a neighbours open wifi network?
Nope searched the company and they 7KM away from my house. I'm able to access his whole internal company network.

cvs

Nope searched the company and they 7KM away from my house. I'm able to access his whole internal company network.
See if you are on cool ideas change your pc's IP to 192.168.1.200 and subnet to 255.255.255.0 example and see if you can connect to 192.168.1.1 and provide feedback.

eddief1

Expert Member
Now this is pretty worrying. Are you bypassing your router with your PC directly connected to the ONT?

TheTwo

Expert Member
Coolideas used to fly, streaming, downloads but for the last month or so I log tickets, get late replies and am planning on moving away from them. on a 20/2 fibre line, I can stream netflix ONLY, everything else slows down, this never was the case

cvs

Now this is pretty worrying. Are you bypassing your router with your PC directly connected to the ONT?
I'm accessing it from my router on my wifi if i set my IP static on my laptop I connect directly to their internal network.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Yea OpenServe everyone is dropping their prices.
I dont think everyone, I think you are referring to Afrihost/Axxess and some others due to those two doing the drops. With the current IPC rates it's not feasible and so if IPC comes down then so will we.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hi Guys, I'm with cool Ideas and have a security concern. Been using them just over a month. Logged endless calls streaming is the worst and funny enough downloads are fine. Anyway yesterday I was setting up a range extender at home and realized I was receiving a IP address from a 192.168.1.1. I then connected to a router being used by daniel.marais@coolideas.co . How is it possible that I can connect to a random person's router from my home ???? Is the routing messed up causing all this connection streaming issues ?
Streaming what is the worst? This sounds like you might be using a shared ONT? Which fibre network?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Coolideas used to fly, streaming, downloads but for the last month or so I log tickets, get late replies and am planning on moving away from them. on a 20/2 fibre line, I can stream netflix ONLY, everything else slows down, this never was the case
Can you give some more info? Area and FNO?

cvs

I called last night just before 8 pm and email was sent at 8:22 pm regarding my issue sent to support@coolideas.co.za previous ticket was logged regarding slow streaming about a month ago, test and all the things was sent. Still have no feedback.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I called last night just before 8 pm and email was sent at 8:22 pm regarding my issue sent to support@coolideas.co.za previous ticket was logged regarding slow streaming about a month ago, test and all the things was sent. Still have no feedback.
Ok as per my last message what are you streaming :), also do you have a ticket number for me then to pull the ticket up.

cvs

Ok as per my last message what are you streaming :), also do you have a ticket number for me then to pull the ticket up.
I'm more concerned why I'm able to access some random person's internal network from my home?

#COOL-20190721-280573

cvs

International streaming sites, Netflix, DSTV online. All the details on my ticket.

cvs

Called CISP support, was holding for 45 minutes to talk to a manager. Ended the call. I'm doing you a favor reporting a security issue. CISP don't seem to care! Who else is exposed on the CISP network ?