Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hmm wasn't aware my area (PoP) had issues, but good to know it will also get moved.
I don't think it has issues per say, it's usually just splitting the traffic off to another core router.

OCP

Expert Member
Sure will investigate, this is a typical line miss-configuration from the provisioning side, will escalate.
Still not resolved - client now wants to move to another ISP and I look like a real **** :-(

leppie

As far as I know they've been completed. At least the one for Southern Suburbs has. Its the reason why I'm able to watch twitch now days.
Still pathetic in Cape Gate... Cant watch Twitch without proxy. Cant stream to Twitch at anything higher than 2.5mbit. Streaming to YT at 25mbit is fine daytime, but 6PM hits and need to drop it to like 9mbit.

DeatheCore

Still pathetic in Cape Gate... Cant watch Twitch without proxy. Cant stream to Twitch at anything higher than 2.5mbit. Streaming to YT at 25mbit is fine daytime, but 6PM hits and need to drop it to like 9mbit.
I feel your pain man, been having the same issues on Vumatel in Panorama. Waiting for their upgrades to complete so they can't hide behind it as a reason not to investigate these issues. I guess Octotel hasn't upgraded their network in the northern suburbs yet either?

leppie

I feel your pain man, been having the same issues on Vumatel in Panorama. Waiting for their upgrades to complete so they can't hide behind it as a reason not to investigate these issues. I guess Octotel hasn't upgraded their network in the northern suburbs yet either?
I cant say I have seen any improvement, generally it feels worse.

Hunted

Hi All,

I've noticed of late that I'm bot getting my full allocated speed these days. Especially so on the upload side where I notice it with youtube uploads. I have 100/100

I did a multi threaded test over cable. The drop in speed causes twice the time spent to get the content online.

Anyone else having issues?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hi All,

I've noticed of late that I'm bot getting my full allocated speed these days. Especially so on the upload side where I notice it with youtube uploads. I have 100/100

I did a multi threaded test over cable. The drop in speed causes twice the time spent to get the content online.

My "local" on a 100/100 line. Used to be 95/97 about local. My international is awful, <15Mbps, been so since I got it and they still haven't sorted it. 9 days left before I move providers.

image132

Expert Member
Isn't YT local? If you're having issues with that something is seriously wrong.

leppie

Isn't YT local? If you're having issues with that something is seriously wrong.
It is in JHB, so while not as bad as international, performance degrades during peak times too due to Octotel congestion...

I havent been able to stream after 6PM since Aug last year....

image132

Expert Member
It is in JHB, so while not as bad as international, performance degrades during peak times too due to Octotel congestion...

I havent been able to stream after 6PM since Aug last year....
I had the same, I noticed it started to get bad in October last year. Thanks to therodent and @MDE making a lot of noise on social media, 6 months later they decided to address it.

I sympathize heavily with you for what that's worth. I can only say goodluck, I hope they address yours soon.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hi All,

Which fibre network and area?

Loppas

@PBCool

There seems to be an issue with download speeds from blizzard. When i try and pull this game down it only gets about 10-13MB\s but then when i use nord VPN to a joburg server it jumps up to 21-23MB\s. I would chalk this up to the 100mb international limitation but you guys aren't doing that on the 1gbps package atm since everywhere else i download from i can max my line. Here is some IPs where its pulling the game from atm: 8.247.224.221, 8.247.248.223.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
@PBCool

There seems to be an issue with download speeds from blizzard. When i try and pull this game down it only gets about 10-13MB\s but then when i use nord VPN to a joburg server it jumps up to 21-23MB\s. I would chalk this up to the 100mb international limitation but you guys aren't doing that on the 1gbps package atm since everywhere else i download from i can max my line. Here is some IPs where its pulling the game from atm: 8.247.224.221, 8.247.248.223.
Have you tried using our proxy?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
The proxy is giving me about 1.79MB\s, perhaps its only doing 1 thread or something. I'm downloading through the battle net app.
Are you using our DNS server? If you are try switching to 1.1.1.1 it's possible it's a limitation from our Akamai cluster.

Seeyou

Expert Member
Getting 800KB/sec upload to a server on Hetzner in Germany at the moment. Last night I could barely achieve half line speed on NNTP to tweaknews again. Hot garbage for a 200/200 line, sorry to say.