Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Shpongle

...and the builder shrugs and says: "We don't know who is shooting at our glass windows. Here's the rent invoice for next month. Also, if you want to move to another building you have to wait 30 days and risk being shot." And then 3 days later the building supervisor gives you an envelope saying: "3 days ago when you were bleeding it seems the building was being shot at, but we didn't let you know because it was a long weekend. Can you confirm that you're not being shot at anymore?"

:p
:ROFL: You almost owed me a new keyboard there.

rolandos

I am using NordVPN and connecting the local VPN point and my internet works fine. Check if your provider has a local endpoint.
same here but even with nordvpn connection its timing out with packet loss and crazy ping times from the 1st hop as soon as I change to my fnb connect backup all is good

seems vumatel/cisp is broken completely now

sigh

ActivateD

Expert Member
same here but even with nordvpn connection its timing out with packet loss and crazy ping times from the 1st hop as soon as I change to my fnb connect backup all is good

seems vumatel/cisp is broken completely now

sigh
Hmm that sucks. I am connected to SA NordVPN endpoint #32 and I can stream the rugby no worries on DStv Now even.

image132

Expert Member
They don't give a **** about us as long as they get their money and they will always have a excuse. No wonder people want to ddos them but they not doing a good job they must do it everyday not just weekends.
And this is exactly why I say this attack is being done by a an old customer.

I've never understood this type of mentality "I'm unhappy but the company hasn't gone under. So instead of leaving and moving on with my life I'm going to try burn it to the ground to make everyone who is happy unhappy"

That's just bullsh.t

They clearly do care (hence their presence here) and continued work on the problem.

They also patently care about their business - sadly it seems that there are bad actors out there determined to bring them down - this is what happened to another ISP not so long ago to the point where the owners gave up and went out of business.

I really feel for CI because while it's not their fault, it's not realistic to expect their customers to 'weather the storm' and not receive the service they're paying for.

Quite honestly, it's a 'lose / lose' scenario - CI loses, customers of CI lose.

It doesn't help that angry people then resort to reacting like juveniles. Those CI techs are pushing triple shifts - I've been there....
Agreed. No ISP in SA would be able to just shrug this off.

Sadly the only person who wins is the child who's doing these attacks.

GouKi

Yeah maybe it's an old disgruntled customer. I wonder why this customer was disgruntled enough to do this though, gotta be be bad service. Still doesn't justify this action.

I would like to sympathise with the ISP a little bit, the customer in me really doesn't care, I want my internetz.

smc

All very well, but the bottom line is still that I (and others) are paying for a service that we haven't been receiving since yesterday. I work from home; the hard reality is that if this doesn't get sorted real quick I have to cancel and find another ISP.

Th3Moogle

All very well, but the bottom line is still that I (and others) are paying for a service that we haven't been receiving since yesterday. I work from home; the hard reality is that if this doesn't get sorted real quick I have to cancel and find another ISP.
i don't normally work from home but i was asked to this weekend. I have had to buy mobile data to support myself throughout the weekend. I won't be getting that money back.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Agreed. Out of interest, which of the major ISPs have been hit in the last 6 months?
DDoS' happen all the time, it's simply the size that matters. We have mitigation in place but this attack was north of 50Gbps so we are putting in measures to avoid. Measures we started with the last attack, apologies for the radio silence here.

I should have some feedback tomorrow on the solution and ETA. We have mitigated it as best possible for now.

static_sa

DDoS' happen all the time, it's simply the size that matters. We have mitigation in place but this attack was north of 50Gbps so we are putting in measures to avoid. Measures we started with the last attack, apologies for the radio silence here.

I should have some feedback tomorrow on the solution and ETA. We have mitigated it as best possible for now.
Well f*** me

Took me 10 tries to load this page

GouKi

i don't normally work from home but i was asked to this weekend. I have had to buy mobile data to support myself throughout the weekend. I won't be getting that money back.
My situation is not work related, but I burned through 50% of my mobile data bundle watching the F1 Qualifying. My data bundle costs roughly 20% of my CISP bill.

It takes over a minute to load a mybroadband page for me right now. If this is *best possible for now* ...

marjo

@PBCool I know CISP is quite open about their network. Is there a place where we can see the impact of the DDOS. (Prove to the peoples that don't believe). https://www.cisp.co.za/network/#t2 does not seem to work anymore.

image132

Expert Member
Yeah maybe it's an old disgruntled customer. I wonder why this customer was disgruntled enough to do this though, gotta be be bad service. Still doesn't justify this action.

I would like to sympathise with the ISP a little bit, the customer in me really doesn't care, I want my internetz.
Have you read this thread over the last year? There have been TONS of people who have gotten so worked up over CISP's outages they seem to take it as a personal insult. The post I quoted is tame compared to some of rubbish that has been posted. Quite frankly I'm impressed @PBCool and @TheRoDent still post here. Afrihost reps have quit for less.

My money is still on a disgruntled customer they have the means and motive to put it into action. Probably a forum member here even.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
I couldn't care less about greener grass. We are annoyed with paying for no internet.

Hey cool ideas how do you intend to retain customers? Discount this month. Or do you just shrug your shoulders as always and blame others?

@PBCool
Check the Ts&Cs of the agreement. No ISP in their right mind would guarantee the Internet.

Chill, play an offline game for once, get yourself a VPN like @maumau, but most important of all, grow up.

GouKi

Have you read this thread over the last year? There have been TONS of people who have gotten so worked up over CISP's outages they seem to take it as a personal insult. The post I quoted is tame compared to some of rubbish that has been posted. Quite frankly I'm impressed @PBCool and @TheRoDent still post here. Afrihost reps have quit for less.

My money is still on a disgruntled customer they have the means and motive to put it into action. Probably a forum member here even.
Nope I haven't needed to, thankfully my service was good and uninterrupted up until the previous DDOS attack