Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
@furpile

Only saw now about Vodacom fibre in Richards Bay. Sorry did not know they were not open access there but seems like they are confused themselves about what is going on. Also looks like frogfoot is not going to move into Meerensee because of Vodacom fibre.

Our MSA with Vodacom says they are Open Access there. But their infrastructure is not ready... Similar to how we've had a router in the Voda DC in Midrand for 2 years, picking it's nose, but finally they said everything terminates in Teraco.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Anyone else in CPT on Vuma Trenched seeing low download speeds? Getting around 25MBps on Origin and 50MBps on Steam on 1000/100. Uses to push 80+ before the DDOS attacks

@jannier have your downloads been fine?

Was getting 125MBps via the Star Citizen launcher

Could you PM me your IP? Been seeing a 1gbps zombie in Cape Town on the 1gbps service. Maybe a bad router config.

Also note, that it is a 1Gbps LOCAL service, and 100mbps international.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Our MSA with Vodacom says they are Open Access there. But their infrastructure is not ready... Similar to how we've had a router in the Voda DC in Midrand for 2 years, picking it's nose, but finally they said everything terminates in Teraco.

Ayyy Vodacom. Yeah I actually mentioned to @furpile he should rather go with CISP when Vodacom went live in NRB because Vodacom ISP has some very strict FUP on their lower speed packages.

furpile

Expert Member
@furpile

Only saw now about Vodacom fibre in Richards Bay. Sorry did not know they were not open access there but seems like they are confused themselves about what is going on. Also looks like frogfoot is not going to move into Meerensee because of Vodacom fibre.

Openserve has moved Meerensee over from and IMAX to a MSAN so VDSL is now possible too.

This sucks yeah, but I have been waiting for fibre for a few years so I will wait another few weeks. I am too far from the exchange for VDSL, can't get more than 4 Mbps currently. Also a lot of friends with landlines and Telkom as their ISP have been getting calls from Telkom trying to get them onto LTE and FLLA. So it seems as if they are busy shutting down ADSL.

cavedog

Honorary Master
This sucks yeah, but I have been waiting for fibre for a few years so I will wait another few weeks. I am too far from the exchange for VDSL, can't get more than 4 Mbps currently. Also a lot of friends with landlines and Telkom as their ISP have been getting calls from Telkom trying to get them onto LTE and FLLA. So it seems as if they are busy shutting down ADSL.

Urg and the only Telkom LTE tower is there behind the PnP and that thing is so congested. My friend and I play league of legends together and he ALWAYS complains about his ping and he can see the tower from his window. Badly congested.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Sorry about this bud. I've cc'ed our GM into this as well, and he's been pushing them. Please mention my handle in any comms, you will not be charged for an install we cannot deliver (yet), and as I offered on PM, I'll gladly give you a free DSL account in the interim.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Urg and the only Telkom LTE tower is there behind the PnP and that thing is so congested. My friend and I play league of legends together and he ALWAYS complains about his ping and he can see the tower from his window. Badly congested.

Their NAT is ridiculous these days... Switching IP's every third or fourth TCP session.

DeatheCore

@PBCool @TheRoDent Any chance of pushing my issue with Vumatel a bit? Now that the twitch proxy is offline, the packetloss on my line really becomes annoying with frequent buffering on Twitch. Not to mention lag spikes in games.

Last ticket was: #COOL-20190402-246535

Currently in email contact with Divian. As you can see I have tickets re. this issue from late 2018.

Here is a local iperf as of right now:
Code:
iperf3 -u -R -b 80M -p 17001 -c ter-cpt-iperf-1.cisp.co.za -O 1 -l 1472
Connecting to host ter-cpt-iperf-1.cisp.co.za, port 17001
Reverse mode, remote host ter-cpt-iperf-1.cisp.co.za is sending
[  4] local 192.168.1.100 port 58075 connected to 154.0.15.181 port 17001
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Jitter    Lost/Total Datagrams
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  9.71 MBytes  81.4 Mbits/sec  0.091 ms  160/7060 (2.3%)  (omitted)
[  4]   0.00-1.00   sec  9.53 MBytes  79.9 Mbits/sec  0.073 ms  48/6794 (0.71%)
[  4]   1.00-2.00   sec  9.51 MBytes  79.8 Mbits/sec  0.082 ms  26/6787 (0.38%)
[  4]   2.00-3.00   sec  9.55 MBytes  80.1 Mbits/sec  0.087 ms  0/6800 (0%)
[  4]   3.00-4.00   sec  9.50 MBytes  79.7 Mbits/sec  0.083 ms  51/6795 (0.75%)
[  4]   4.00-5.00   sec  9.53 MBytes  80.0 Mbits/sec  0.102 ms  1/6792 (0.015%)
[  4]   5.00-6.00   sec  9.20 MBytes  77.2 Mbits/sec  0.088 ms  496/6793 (7.3%)
[  4]   6.00-7.00   sec  9.49 MBytes  79.5 Mbits/sec  0.093 ms  42/6780 (0.62%)
[  4]   7.00-8.00   sec  9.27 MBytes  77.7 Mbits/sec  0.080 ms  207/6807 (3%)
[  4]   8.00-9.00   sec  9.13 MBytes  76.6 Mbits/sec  0.126 ms  309/6787 (4.6%)
[  4]   9.00-10.00  sec  9.37 MBytes  78.7 Mbits/sec  0.052 ms  148/6796 (2.2%)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth       Jitter    Lost/Total Datagrams
[  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  95.8 MBytes  80.3 Mbits/sec  0.067 ms  1328/67948 (2%)
[  4] Sent 67948 datagrams
[SUM]  0.0-10.0 sec  413 datagrams received out-of-order

Praeses

Expert Member
Twitch has been performing perfectly all evening for me. Keep up the good job, CISP! Frogfoot, BFN.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
-SNIP-
We've been discussing more pro-active communications today, but we're at a bit of a loggerhead when it comes to that. Should we just bulk SMS spam people about global issues ? We have been tweeting and facebooking, but that's kinda like '3rd party information.
-SNIP-
Also, as we mentioned in the article in MyBB, do you want a push notification every 15 minute saying "we're working on it", or would you rather get a single notification when we're sure ? Blow by blow updates might get annoying...
-SNIP-
So, help me out here... Any suggestions ?
Hourly emails would be my first choice, SMS second. If nothing else then something is better than nothing, every 2 hours then? <edit2> In the event of attackers watching your mitigation actions, then understandably you may not want to give updates that are too frequent. If that is the case then just state that at the very least. </edit2>

Before this I wasn't following you guys on Facebook, and now that I am I don't see an option to see your posts first. That said I'm not even on Facebook every day, and I'm hardly ever on Twitter.

Like i said in my other post, i was on the verge of rolling back Windows 10 patches and thinking I'd have to reinstall Windows, not realising my problems were as a result of the DDOS attack on CISP. Hours of wasted time this past weekend because i was in the dark about it being a CISP issue. Once i was aware of the DDOS attack, I repeatedly had to try connecting to Blizzard, Ubisoft, etc... every hour or so to see if things had improved.

Regarding your 'Outages and General Service Disruption' page, it has so many announcements it looks like a big announcement like the DDOS post would just get lost amongst all the other area specific posts. Unless your customers all bookmark that page, will they really find their way there if they have no internet access on their fibre setup at home?
<edit> I don't think I would have even have found my way there if someone on this thread didn't link to it directly as a result of this latest attack. I've only been to the CISP website a handful of times, intially prior to sign up and then again 2 months ago to compare prices. </edit>

I contacted 2 of the 3 people that I had recommended to sign up with CISP to let them know about the DDOS attack being the reason for their disruption of service. They were clueless as to why their internet was not behaving...

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

marjo

No need to apologize. We are apologizing. Sorry, but I don't really have your email at-hand, and I don't really recognize all MyBB handles. Yes I do have that in our customer database...

These forums get quite busy at times and keeping track of things gets tough, especially when focusing on other things.

We've been discussing more pro-active communications today, but we're at a bit of a loggerhead when it comes to that. Should we just bulk SMS spam people about global issues ? We have been tweeting and facebooking, but that's kinda like '3rd party information.

Also, as we mentioned in the article in MyBB, do you want a push notification every 15 minute saying "we're working on it", or would you rather get a single notification when we're sure ? Blow by blow updates might get annoying...

We've aso found that it creates false positives, where people are unwilling to log tickets, or perform debugging with a call centre agent because "clearly there is a bigger issue" that they don't feel like they want to be involved in, even if someone dug up their fibre and it actually requires basic debugging and logging with an FNO.

People are quite happy to say that it must be the "bigger problem" and then keep on complaining, even if it could have been resolved by following normal support techniques.

We've built an App that we haven't launched yet for push notifications, but then again, what is better? Lots of spam from a Cool Ideas app that doesn't always pertain to your service?

We're active here, and we try our best, but in a 298 page forum post stuff get's lost. An announcement page get's visited, but only after people have complained about lack of comms.

So, help me out here... Any suggestions ?

@TheRoDent many many many years ago I had a client that had/has a server hosted at IS. There was this service I opted into and I selected all services for notifications. Its probably been 10 years and I still receive them.

Stuff like:
IS Major Alert 23 Sep 09:30 Broadband Network & Services (ADSL, FTTH, GSM, Fixed LTE) Nationally. Intermittent connectivity. Vendor engineers investigating.

IS Update 23 Sep 19 Still exp Major impact on Broadband Network (ADSL, FTTH, GSM, Fixed LTE) Nationally. Services Restored. Broadband Engineering Monitoring.

and

IS Restore 23 Sep 19 The Major impact on Broadband Network (ADSL, FTTH, GSM, Fixed LTE) Nationally is resolved. Broadband Engineering investigating root cause

I believe these are all the same ticket that affects the the service I opted into... way back then. PS, its not a bother to me, as it interests me, but that server I belive is long gone.

Jason-ZA

Is the twitch proxy only something you use if you are streaming, or is there one for watching as well?

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Streaming was working good for me tonight only thing was overwatch ping it hit 162ms at one point which was a first but kept spiking and then hovering around 190ms for a while and then went down and not long up again

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Is the twitch proxy only something you use if you are streaming, or is there one for watching as well?
Only if you're casting. We had an accelerator in place for twitch streaming in the UK, but it's curently out of action due to some assymetric routing.

Was working a charm though. Will be in place again soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.