Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabijovi

At what point do we give up with cool ideas? Does anyone know if supersonic is having these same issues? Can't access most social media sites.

GotToLuveIT

Sorry, there is no fee for leaving CISP, (apart from returning their modem), where did you see that? The timing is the issue.
I am not talking about going fibre provider.

Not a CISP thing, it is a Vumatel thing.

"Can I change me service provider?
Yes. You can change your service provider at any time depending on the type of service you are signed up for and the terms and conditions of the service provider.

Simply notify your service provider that you want to cancel your service. If there is a notice period associated with the service, you will be charged for that period, even if you stop using the service earlier. Contact your service provider if you are unsure about what applies to you.

Please note you may incur a connection fee for connecting to a new service provider."

maumau

Honorary Master
Yeah, best of luck to anyone moving to Telkom. I couldn't wait to leave them when I got fiber.

Not my favourite either. Just wondering which of the big ISPs hasn't suffered a DDOS attack, seems Telkom is the only one - or are there others?

FFMG

Please note you may incur a connection fee for connecting to a new service provider."

Ok, I see what you mean, but I paid the full amount myself to have the line connected, (it was 1700 at the time if I recall).
It was not part of a package from CISP. So this is why, in my case, I won't have that extra charge.

Having said that, I don't think it would have been 999 anyway.

GotToLuveIT

Yeah, best of luck to anyone moving to Telkom. I couldn't wait to leave them when I got fiber.

Think they plan to use OpenServ for the fibre + another ISP for data, but we all relate to the joke :)
I would suggest sending folks in WebSquad thread a PM if you really want to go down that road.

Markd

Expert Member
I'm now also looking at Supersonic given that they are MTN. Using my 4G MTN data internationally is fine, so assume I'd be ok on their fibre as well. It's a bit more expensive at R645 a month for 10/5, but seriously, I'd pay the extra couple of bucks if I get to stay online and do the **** I want to do.

Anyone have any experience with Supersonic??

GotToLuveIT

Ok, I see what you mean, but I paid the full amount myself to have the line connected, (it was 1700 at the time if I recall).
It was not part of a package from CISP. So this is why, in my case, I won't have that extra charge.

Having said that, I don't think it would have been 999 anyway.

Sadly you pay it for every move, why we can't ISP hop.

If you want to take your life into your own hands Afrihost will eat the cost to sign you up.

GotToLuveIT

I'm now also looking at Supersonic given that they are MTN. Using my 4G MTN data internationally is fine, so assume I'd be ok on their fibre as well. It's a bit more expensive at R645 a month for 10/5, but seriously, I'd pay the extra couple of bucks if I get to stay online and do the **** I want to do.

Anyone have any experience with Supersonic??

They got blown out of the water as well last time round.
You would literally be switching from the CISP DDOS attack to the Supersonic DDOS attack.

Saano21

Just received the below sms

Cool Ideas Update: engineers are still working on restoring international connectivity. Updates to follow. bit.ly/cispoutage

marine1

Honorary Master
This is fking ridiculous I have tons of invoicing and reports to do and cannot log into anything :mad:

semaphore

Honorary Master
@TheRoDent @PBCool So instead of telling us inbound attack traffic; what is actually being done to mitigate this? Are the vendors assisting with it? I mean 24 hours later and things are worse than ever.

GotToLuveIT

Wonder how long till they fix/alternative solution

The size of traffic is the problem, they are dependent on the providers.

8 weeks ago the size of the attack was 60 Gbps

I have tried to consolidate the updates for any that has not seen it.
Not sure if a mod is around / if it is worth asking that they make a sticky.
Else if somebody can just repost as new folks come in looking for an update.

Page 391
Yesterday at 9:33 AM
We're experiencing a large Volumetric DDOS attack. Give us some time to adjust filters.

Page 396
Yesterday at 12:45 PM
This was our largest attack yet. Scrubbers in the UK mitigated 120Gbps+
Biggest problem was actually local peering traffic from NAPAfrica and IS.
We're still working on it, but it's much better.

Page 400
Yesterday at 3:34 PM
To mitigate you always route via a different transit unless the transit provides you scrubbing which most dont, so lots of DDoS mitigators allow you to turnup a tunnel to them and advertise the attacked ranges, therefor funneling the traffic through a scrubbing centre.

Page 403
Yesterday at 5:53 PM
We are still under a large attack, and the patterns are such that it's problematic to filter.
We are working with our vendors to better mitigate.

Page 409
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
So, we thought we had bigger guns, but we are now approaching ~500gbps of attack traffic.
Hurricane Electric doesn't even like us anymore.

Page 410
Today at 4:46 AM
Total inbound network traffic (that we can see) : 326GBPS
Amount of legit traffic: <40Gbps

And link to Announcement page
Update 24 Nov 8:00: Cool Ideas engineers are still working on restoring international connectivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.