Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunted

I think everyone would be happy if we could use the OpenVPN client, as it runs everywhere.

PPTP would be nice to config on a router though.
Agree with this. An .opvn file that can be imported to the PC client or even into some routers.

Which ever works best and easiest for CISP to do.

stormiezzz

I agree with Hunted. We need this badly. Most of my friends are with another ISP and playing Pubg with them when they are routed directly to UK I get 300ms+ ping just because I am going via South America and then to UK. Please help us here.

Alright, so considering the drama with server selection I am considering the following:

1. Announce an unused /24 block of ours in the UK only, and not to any peers in South Africa.
2. Setup a VPN server for/behind that netblock in the UK.
3. Offer a free VPN service to CISP customers on the CISP network ranges.

This way, gamers will have a controlled exit point in the UK, where routes to gameservers aren't determined by Cloud providers such as Google or AWS, and I can keep them peered in our network for fast access to whatever they are announcing.

What VPN client would be the best/easiest for people to use? Or should I just go with something generic like PPTP and you can decide/choose your own client ?

I think a NAT'ed service will probably be best for this application, unless you guys absolutely require inbound connections.
Agree with this. An .opvn file that can be imported to the PC client or even into some routers.

Which ever works best and easiest for CISP to do.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I agree with Hunted. We need this badly. Most of my friends are with another ISP and playing Pubg with them when they are routed directly to UK I get 300ms+ ping just because I am going via South America and then to UK. Please help us here.
I'm kind of settling on SoftEther.

It supports L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN and the actual SoftEther client. That should give good availability over all platforms and routers.

stormiezzz

May the Gods bless you with an abundant supply of scantily clad good looking and willing lasses, and may your wells and coffers overflow with all the wine and riches in the world.

It supports L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN and the actual SoftEther client. That should give good availability over all platforms and routers.

DJZassie

Alright, so considering the drama with server selection I am considering the following:

1. Announce an unused /24 block of ours in the UK only, and not to any peers in South Africa.

This way, gamers will have a controlled exit point in the UK, where routes to gameservers aren't determined by Cloud providers such as Google or AWS, and I can keep them peered in our network for fast access to whatever they are announcing.

What VPN client would be the best/easiest for people to use? Or should I just go with something generic like PPTP and you can decide/choose your own client ?

I think a NAT'ed service will probably be best for this application, unless you guys absolutely require inbound connections.
I'm just going to throw some spanners into the works here, before you spend all the time trying to implement something like this.

Would this solution not negatively affect all other traffic too?

I'm thinking

1) voice servers (Local Discord/Teamspeak)
2) People hosting applications on their machines that are local (Thinking Plex, other media servers etc)
3) Streamers using local Relay servers
4) Any patch downloads for games, windows, apps etc
5) Essentially any local caching of anything

I understand completely that it's a solution that can be switched on and off as needed. So when play turn on, and not turn off. I'm just highlighting things when we try and do more than one thing at a time with our connection.

Thoughts?

r00igev@@r

Expert Member

If you use softether you can point into to your radius for auth.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member

Excellent choice. I think its damn good. Use the one on https://github.com/SoftEtherVPN/SoftEtherVPN as it has the fixes for OVPN as well as the mikrotik.
You can create a master server in JHB and then cascade the UK server via a separate hub. You could have a drop down to connect in EU or US or Asia. And local. (all via seperate hubs) The latter is to use in those dodgy public wifi places.
The softether client itself has some nice tweaking that is only available on some expensive SDWAN stuff. And if you make the server BBR then it will kick ass.

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
I'm just going to throw some spanners into the works here, before you spend all the time trying to implement something like this.

Would this solution not negatively affect all other traffic too?

I'm thinking

1) voice servers (Local Discord/Teamspeak)
2) People hosting applications on their machines that are local (Thinking Plex, other media servers etc)
3) Streamers using local Relay servers
4) Any patch downloads for games, windows, apps etc
5) Essentially any local caching of anything

I understand completely that it's a solution that can be switched on and off as needed. So when play turn on, and not turn off. I'm just highlighting things when we try and do more than one thing at a time with our connection.

Thoughts?
You can have known local server ranges pushed via DHCP RFC 3442. They need to be generic for everyone and not too many. Its basically split tunneling and you'll have some admin work.

DJZassie

You can have known local server ranges pushed via DHCP RFC 3442. They need to be generic for everyone and not too many. Its basically split tunneling and you'll have some admin work.
Seems to me like it's essentially replicating the issue locally to fix it internationally :/

More a work around than a fix.

Hunted

If I had place to VPN in CPT outside the CISP network then I guess that would sort the PUBG issues out... Thing is most VPN servers sit in JHB it appears.

Hunted

Hmmm I wonder if I found something that may help

I did another check with Netlimiter to see what the PUBG exe does when it starts up.

Then I found this...

I kept the game in the background since I realized the game only allocated you to a server group after it fully loaded up.

Now I'm wonder if block those IPs of Brazil in my firewall if that may then force PUBG to switch me to the EU servers.

I will test now and will revert with my findings.

DJZassie

Hmmm I wonder if I found something that may help

I did another check with Netlimiter to see what the PUBG exe does when it starts up.

Then I found this...

View attachment 749365

I kept the game in the background since I realized the game only allocated you to a server group after it fully loaded up.

Now I'm wonder if block those IPs of Brazil in my firewall if that may then force PUBG to switch me to the EU servers.

I will test now and will revert with my findings.
Lets de-peer AWS brazil! Or force connections to AWS Brazil to go EU xD

Note for testing, if that works and you go into training ground, you should get an EU server and not a Brazil server :)

Hunted

Damnit.. My Asus router doesn't allow to block IP addresses off the bat.

Will need to inject it into merlin-asuswrt.

DJZassie

So here is some interesting stuff...

I did some looking glass on HE.
London, Brazil and CPT

Then i traced to those IP's from my machine.

London
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            172.18.7.225 -    0 |   75 |   75 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                            155.93.231.1 -    0 |   75 |   75 |    2 |    2 |   15 |    2 |
|                           155.93.240.34 -    0 |   75 |   75 |    2 |    3 |   27 |    2 |
|                           155.93.240.25 -    0 |   75 |   75 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    1 |
|                              100.98.0.2 -    0 |   75 |   75 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    1 |
|                uxa-cust.coolideas.co.za -    0 |   75 |   75 |    1 |    1 |    1 |    1 |
|                as6939.saopaulo.sp.ix.br -    0 |   51 |   51 |  140 |  148 |  165 |  165 |
|              100ge2-1.core1.nyc4.he.net -    0 |   31 |   31 |  247 |  248 |  252 |  251 |
|                       core1.lon2.he.net -    0 |   32 |   32 |  231 |  239 |  267 |  234 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
   WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider
Brazil
Code:
|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                            172.18.7.225 -    0 |   61 |   61 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                            155.93.231.1 -    0 |   60 |   60 |    2 |    3 |   22 |    2 |
|                           155.93.240.34 -    0 |   61 |   61 |    2 |    3 |   27 |    3 |
|                           155.93.240.25 -    0 |   60 |   60 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                              100.98.0.1 -    0 |   61 |   61 |    1 |    1 |    1 |    1 |
|                uxa-cust.coolideas.co.za -    0 |   61 |   61 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    1 |
|                       core2.sao1.he.net -    0 |   43 |   43 |  140 |  142 |  155 |  141 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
Cape Town
Code:
|                            172.18.7.225 -    0 |   65 |   65 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                            155.93.231.1 -    0 |   64 |   64 |    2 |    3 |   20 |    2 |
|                           155.93.240.34 -    0 |   64 |   64 |    2 |    3 |   21 |    8 |
|                           155.93.240.25 -    0 |   65 |   65 |    0 |    0 |    1 |    0 |
|                              100.98.0.2 -    0 |   65 |   65 |    1 |    1 |    1 |    1 |
|                uxa-cust.coolideas.co.za -    0 |   64 |   64 |    1 |    3 |  135 |    1 |
|                as6939.saopaulo.sp.ix.br -    0 |   46 |   46 |  140 |  140 |  152 |  140 |
|              100ge2-1.core1.nyc4.he.net -    0 |   26 |   26 |  247 |  249 |  264 |  247 |
|             100ge16-2.core1.lon2.he.net -    0 |   28 |   28 |  231 |  231 |  232 |  231 |
|                       core1.cpt1.he.net -    0 |   28 |   28 |  231 |  231 |  244 |  231 |
Looks like Brazil route is really getting some favoritism

@TheRoDent @PBCool

Status
Not open for further replies.