Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mastercylinder

DC-AC-DC conversion isn't efficient. UPS systems aren't designed for efficiency or long run time anyway. Roll your own UPS with DC-DC converters and a battery protection circuit and build it into a UPS case. Mine even takes solar. When I rebuild it with 2 7Ah batteries instead of one, I could probably take my net off-grid. Or buy one.

There are a couple of commercial units that do this available, but they generally only have 12V out, and not the 9V some routers require.

On topic, how long can the Vumatel network stay up without power?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
@TheRoDent @PBCool

Hope they can take note of something like this. Cisco makes some nice stuff, pretty much the whole of Vodacom's billing runs on Cisco switches and the stuff they use is stupid stupid expensive my father keeps the backup of it for them in a disclosed location with access to charter a flight if something goes wrong with a switch for replacement across SA

We use Cisco gear extensively in our Network. Nexus range of switches.

image132

Expert Member
I wonder then why my unit runs for for about 30 - 45 minutes when the power goes out. Then I have to turn it on again and it runs for 10 - 15 minutes. And repeat until the power goes on. It does not run the full outage period. Battery fully charged and newly replaced. Has a 700W / 1400VA output. Only have the cpe, router and access point powered on it during outage.

Is there different circuitry in yours that makes it run continuously?

No clue but I've read that lots of people have had similar issues to you so I wanted to suggest a good ups that does what it says on the box. Goodluck!

jannier

Expert Member
I have had UPS's that turn off if not enough load is on it (eg just router)

That did the trick indeed, thanks! I was able to run it for about 1 hour 50 minutes then it turned off as it seems the battery started running flat. So might need to reduce the load a little bit. (find the sweet-spot) :giggle:

eddief1

Expert Member
That did the trick indeed, thanks! I was able to run it for about 1 hour 50 minutes then it turned off as it seems the battery started running flat. So might need to reduce the load a little bit. (find the sweet-spot) :giggle:
Has it got a usb port? Sometimes these ups are programmable with what they call an 'eco mode' which you can toggle via the manufacturer's software

Eye9od

Hi all, so I know it's Stage 4 Load Shedding and all, but overall, has anybody else noted a marked and consistent decrease in CISP's overall performance since the first DDOS's some weeks/months back? Like things just aren't what they used to be?

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Who are the ones that charter flights. Damn do they also have enough to money to do sundowners in the game reserve afterwards as well???
Nah they just bill vodacom but this is to only deal with their billing switches the value of them is something that is just not realistic. Hence why they not even allowed to mar the building or anything, the value is millions ontop of millions for just 1 switch of which they have to hold a min of 8 i think. Not exactly sure on the details as its a NDA

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
I have this unit but there are loads of different companies that make and sell the same kind of device.

I think I paid around R500 for it. And R200 for the battery. Worth every cent. Has been a life saver over the last 2 years with the intermittent load shedding.
This one has got a small speaker in it though did you at-least desolder it ?

jannier

Expert Member
Has it got a usb port? Sometimes these ups are programmable with what they call an 'eco mode' which you can toggle via the manufacturer's software
Yes, this 1 has 2 modes only, is set to keep device running for as long as possible.

Gambit

Expert Member
This one has got a small speaker in it though did you at-least desolder it ?

No you can disable the alarm buzzer by switching a provided jumper. The alarm functionality is optional and not permanently on.

Eye9od

Why so slow?

Kyalami AH, Midrand
MFN
wired connection
25 meg line
View attachment 753268

So it’s not just me, huh? Especially if it’s wired.

I’ve canceled & moved to VOX; both Octotel & VOX have confirmed that all’s in order, but CISP? Well over a week now & that can’t confirm they’re onboard with the line transfer because reasons. How terribly disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.