Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jannier

Expert Member
Really ? is that why Im being routing all across the continent just to get to USA ?

How does DDOS mitigation account for me being routing from CPT->LON->BOSTON->ALBANY->NY DATACENTER

Before I was CPT->ALBANY..

Is LON and BOSTON both doing scrubbing ? seems like fkd routing but hey im just a spectator.

The SACS routing was giving issues, they turned most of the direct routing to brasil and new york off weeks ago, we where told.
You need to ask them to turn up routing on a per basis.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Really ? is that why Im being routing all across the continent just to get to USA ?

How does DDOS mitigation account for me being routing from CPT->LON->BOSTON->ALBANY->NY DATACENTER

Before I was CPT->ALBANY..

Is LON and BOSTON both doing scrubbing ? seems like fkd routing but hey im just a spectator.

Well non optimal routing is not the reason for dead or slow international.

You traffic can dance around in EU before it goes to US and will still be fine as long as there is no congestion along the route. That is something that needs to be looked at.

As for your last question I have no idea I'm not even a CISP client.

I was just referring to the nature of a DDoS which is targeting ips on a network. The source of the attack is usually scattered over the internet and international. The transit link and routers along the way will get congested. With local the traffic never sees this congestion depending on what IPs are being targeted. What is usually the first sign of congestion? Packetloss.

jannier

Expert Member
We've bypassed it already to test :)
@PBCool

I must say that I feel a little bit annoyed now, I re-installed Window 10 and still had bad DL speed as showed further up. then everything went for a ball of poop with a full DDos again.
I have been feeling this attack now for days now ...... that is why my single threaded DL to Coreix was all over the place at first and then really bad until it all went dead tonight.
Now that you have mitigated it, and I do a speedtest Single to Coreix, it is back to what I expect.

Going to take me days to get everything up and running on my pc for work again. :(:whistling:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
@cavedog Thanks for the warp+ post was able to actually game tonight - had 200ms but was able to do stuff than sit and complain

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
@PBCool

I must say that I feel a little bit annoyed now, I re-installed Window 10 and still had bad DL speed as showed further up. then everything went for a ball of poop with a full DDos again.
I have been feeling this attack now for days now ...... that is why my single threaded DL to Coreix was all over the place at first and then really bad until it all went dead tonight.
Now that you have mitigated it, and I do a speedtest Single to Coreix, it is back to what I expect.

Going to take me days to get everything up and running on my pc for work again. :(:whistling:
The attack happened 40 mins ago, and lasted 15 mins.

We blackholed attack traffic. No other magic.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
There was certainly no attacks before that.
I think performance was a bit down yesterday and today, both my parents said earlier they have been struggling to stream from an app we use and I've noticed my ping in game increasing first from 164 to 170 and was averaging last night around 175. On trace routes final destination was mid 160's pushing close to 170s when it's normally high 140's or low 150's oh well hopefully it's the last time we need to call Rick and the team to deal with zombies

Cyphera

Please could you look into the below:

Would be amazing thank you, IP for Path of Exile Brazil below:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Then how come now that everything is mitigated suddenly my single threaded speed to Coreix is again 170Mbps where for days it has been between 20 - 50Mbps?
All that happened is that we scrubbed an attack. No architecture or any other changes.

How is it that you could get 200Mbps using an Ubuntu live stick, and not with Windows ? :unsure:

All I can say is that we didn't magically change anything. In fact, other than the Durban route reflectors, and @PBCool turning up AWS again, nothing has changed ...

Nexzuis

@PBCool Why was SACS turned off? Only reason I joined cool Ideas. TBH Traffic to Frankfurt the last two days have been shocking. Jumping from 180ms to 300 intermittently? So first of all? What the **** is going on when I am paying R1600 a month and secondly why was SACS just turned off?

Nexzuis

It shows that Cybersmart, Supersonic, and Mind the Speed are the top ISPs, while Telkom, Rain, and MWEB have the worst customer satisfaction ratings.
One of the biggest movers was Cool Ideas, which dropped towards the bottom of the table after topping the rankings in 2017. Wow cool Ideas moved a long way down. Time to move if this is not sorted out quickly. My ping to EU.

dgcarter

Forgive my ignorance, but considering these DDoS attacks seem to be targeting client IP addresses, is there no sort of firewall configuration we can implement on our end to help defeat this? Although as I type this I'm doubting it would work as the traffic still hits the core network and that is where things fall over.

Status
Not open for further replies.