Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markd

Expert Member
So when the last DDOS attack happened I said that was Strike 2 for me. If I get home and don't have beautifully functioning, fast, low-latency internet, that will be Strike 3 and I'll be moving on. I'll be home by 16:30pm. Tick tock, Cool Ideas....tick tock.

mastercylinder

I was down - My VPN to home dropped, but it seems back up now. Either it's successfully mitigated or the bad guys gave up.

xefor

I think Cool Ideas communication has been pretty good on the whole. Really no complaints.

lkswan747

Expert Member
I have just replied to their email requesting that they process my cancellation with immediate effect due to the fact that they cannot supply a service that I faithfully pay for each month!

mastercylinder

So, if we operate on the assumption that Cool Ideas are above board and not misleading us as to the cause of this, my take is they're learning - that is building a robust network that can handle this sort of thing in future. Dropping to a smaller ISP at this point is likely dropping to an ISP without this experience. Going to a larger ISP is likely safer (maybe, I remember issues of gross incompetence with IS hosting solutions so...). I reckon CI deserve a good chance to build their network, so for now I'll stick with them.

Their comms is way better than some other ISPs and easily beats City Power. A low bar, I know, but if you can't beat ""We don't have a stage 6 schedule", you're worth dropping.

lkswan747

Expert Member
So, if we operate on the assumption that Cool Ideas are above board and not misleading us as to the cause of this, my take is they're learning - that is building a robust network that can handle this sort of thing in future. Dropping to a smaller ISP at this point is likely dropping to an ISP without this experience. Going to a larger ISP is likely safer (maybe, I remember issues of gross incompetence with IS hosting solutions so...). I reckon CI deserve a good chance to build their network, so for now I'll stick with them.

Their comms is way better than some other ISPs and easily beats City Power. A low bar, I know, but if you can't beat ""We don't have a stage 6 schedule", you're worth dropping.
:X3:Where have you been for the last couple of months?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
re Communication - damned if you do, damned if you don't

Don't communicate - useless, no comms, talk to us....

Communicate - communication doesn't give me Internet now does it?

No win situation

CrypticZA

Expert Member

After 4 hits nothing has change so either they learn quickly or they going to lose all their customers i pulled my cancellation 2 days but after this putting it back in place, can't keep doing this

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Yeah DDoS mitigation takes some time to "tweak" so apologies for the delay but measures are in place to mitigate.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
still learning to build a robust network after what 9 years? lol
A robust network vs mitigating a DDoS are very different things :), we had our first DDoS in 2015 or so which was about 10Gbps. We have since been having them without any impact on services ~100Gbps the more recent ones being very targeted are over 500Gbps so a bit of a different case.

marine1

Honorary Master
re Communication - damned if you do, damned if you don't

Don't communicate - useless, no comms, talk to us....

Communicate - communication doesn't give me Internet now does it?

No win situation
Does it even matter or help if they do?
Does it instill any confidence on the company?
No because we still dont have any stable internet.
Either they dont know how to fix it or they cant fix it.
So what will their communication say anyway?

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Does it even matter or help if they do?
Does it instill any confidence on the company?
No because we still dont have any stable internet.
Either they dont know how to fix it or they cant fix it.
So what will their communication say anyway?

Like I said, no win situation.

marine1

Honorary Master
It is not as simple to "fix" as mentioned tweaking takes a bit of time, but we are happy with how things are mitigated currently after todays attack. And as always apologise for the interruption.
Why is it only CI?
You should get this info to Eskom ASAP!

Think you are onto something here they could really use too!
Wouldnt it be awesome if someone actually listened and took the advice? :rolleyes:
I mean they have had 11 years

Status
Not open for further replies.