Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Frogfoot in Parklands has already increased their backhaul twice and the network is still very bad in places and West Beach Octotel has been stuffed for about a year and they kinda refuse to do anything... ISPs log the complaints but they don't care, and Octotel guy came out to a friend's place and basically said "everything is fine our network is the issue but they not willing to fix it"

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Frogfoot in Parklands has already increased their backhaul twice and the network is still very bad in places and West Beach Octotel has been stuffed for about a year and they kinda refuse to do anything... ISPs log the complaints but they don't care, and Octotel guy came out to a friend's place and basically said "everything is fine our network is the issue but they not willing to fix it"
And then the people to social media and **** talk the ISP... Meanwhile I'm on the other side of the area on Vumatel with perfect fibre with the same ISP...

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Finally: Your Vumatel ref is : ISP-147xxx

Seriously, it shouldn't take this long or be this diifficult!

@PBCool still sitting here without fibre because it took you guys so long to report to Vumatel.

And to top it off you send me an invoice for a service I'm not longer getting.

Well at least your accounts department is on the ball, if not support.

So you better sort this line out post haste if you want to see a cent from me this month!

cavedog

Honorary Master
It appears to be your line, but unfortunately I cannot venture to say that solidly without any proof.

Dealing with performance issues, and packet loss on a line with any of the FNO's is an almighty task. It's actually simpler if a line is simply down.

We use TCP accelerators to try and mitigate some of the effects of lossy Fibre Provider's but it's just a crutch.

Getting another line installed in some cases is actually a good solution, new fibre pair, new ONT or new splitter possibly, but an ISP should be able to get an FNO to do at least basic optic tests and throughput on a diagnostics VLAN, or a CPE swapout before having to resort to an additional installation. Frogfoot does have metro-ethernet certified testing kit that they will install at the ISP and at your premises under *heavy* duress.

If however, your entire area's backhaul is shoddy, this takes months and months of arguments with the FNO to resolve, especially if the problem only occurs during peak times.

Just curious how many Openserve complaints do you get in terms of loss? So far they seem to be the best if just scrolling through mybroadband is an indication.

Pity about their silly IPC cost. Seems like they are holding on to that because the titanic is sinking and ipc is the last life raft keeping the afloat....

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Reason i was testing is because my ping to London is around 5-8ms more and in most games its sitting around 10ms more. Seeing mid 170's in Overwatch and almost 150 in Apex thought maybe my line is having issues. Also seeing the connection issue icon often in game

Can this maybe be looked at today? :)

Seeing around a 10-15ms higher ping traveling to inland EU and about 5-8ms to London - i am going to assume it is outside CISP network? But can't something be done about that? Keep getting the "bad connection" and "packet loss" signals in game. Line is running at full speed and IPERFs show no loss but connection in both Apex and Overwatch is fragile and not very stable. Dankie

**Trace routes show increase ping to London and then from then onward higher averages so not 100% sure if it's local or international. To Blizzard seeing high 150's to low 160's on final hops (at work so can't paste MTR)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Can this maybe be looked at today? :)

Seeing around a 10-15ms higher ping traveling to inland EU and about 5-8ms to London - i am going to assume it is outside CISP network? But can't something be done about that? Keep getting the "bad connection" and "packet loss" signals in game. Line is running at full speed and IPERFs show no loss but connection in both Apex and Overwatch is fragile and not very stable. Dankie

**Trace routes show increase ping to London and then from then onward higher averages so not 100% sure if it's local or international. To Blizzard seeing high 150's to low 160's on final hops (at work so can't paste MTR)
There is a slight increase in latency from Cape Town to London, ~4-5ms which is probably a metro change from WIOCC/WACS. Generally not worth making a fuss just yet as it may just be some maintenance.

Last edited:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
There is a slight increase in latency from Cape Town to London, ~4-5ms which is probably a metro change from WIOCC/WACS. Generally not worth making a fuss just yet as it may just be some maintenance.
ah i see okay thanks, that increase to London will then be causing the increase to the gaming servers then.

walterg

@PBCool Could you lease check up on #COOL-20200226-385099 ?

Since the 25th of February we have only been getting around one tenth of our line speed. MTN Lonehill.

Overblaze

Please keep us updated on this. Thanks :)

Loppas

@PBCool

Are there any reported faults on openserve in plattekloof/surroundings in cape town? My line wont sync and i dont know whats going on.

Edit:

Nvm, fibre cable was loose at the wall box :cautious:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.