Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

theHED

@PBCool , Load shedding again tonight in the area from 22:00 to 00:30 so safe to assume we will be dead again tomorrow? I actually need connection for work for a change at 01:00 tonight ... Please give feedback as to why this is happening and what is being done to mitigate.

theHED

@PBCool , Load shedding again tonight in the area from 22:00 to 00:30 so safe to assume we will be dead again tomorrow? I actually need connection for work for a change at 01:00 tonight ... Please give feedback as to why this is happening and what is being done to mitigate.
I'm back up and running just after 08:00, @PBCool , would really like to know why this is happening. Load shedding is bad enough but to have no connectivity till the next morning at 8am when someone wakes up is not acceptable.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I'm back up and running just after 08:00, @PBCool , would really like to know why this is happening. Load shedding is bad enough but to have no connectivity till the next morning at 8am when someone wakes up is not acceptable.
Yeah that isn't acceptable, let me find out what is going on with them.

DJZassie

Best thing i did when loadshedding started like 2 years back was get a good UPS to keep my network cabinet and CPE running during loadshedding...

Phones and laptops charged before going off and bam, can still do most things i need to during those horrible 8pm to 10:30 pm slots xD

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
My neighbour, also Octotel, who is using another ISP had connectivity at 6am, when I didn't. Please check your side as well.
Octotel shares access router infrastructure on our side if we had issues it would affect multiple networks.

MDE

Expert Member
Octotel is by far the worst company to have fibre connectivity with. The constant 'oh it's the ISPs fault' or the 'its not us must be something else' excuse, to the complete incompetence of there guys to fix things is beyond baffling.

DeatheCore

Best thing i did when loadshedding started like 2 years back was get a good UPS to keep my network cabinet and CPE running during loadshedding...

Phones and laptops charged before going off and bam, can still do most things i need to during those horrible 8pm to 10:30 pm slots xD
What UPS did you get? I've just had an Eaton 1100va go bad on me after 1 year... takes 16+ hours to recharge and powering the Vuma Raycore CPE and my MikroTik hAp ac2 it would only last just about 2 hours... quite terrible tbh considering less than 9W load. Found that even unplugging it from a full charge for 5 mins it loses about 10% charge :unsure: Guessing it didn't come with proper deep cycle rated batteries. And to top it off Eaton support has been almost nonexistent..

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
What UPS did you get? I've just had an Eaton 1100va go bad on me after 1 year... takes 16+ hours to recharge and powering the Vuma Raycore CPE and my MikroTik hAp ac2 it would only last just about 2 hours... quite terrible tbh considering less than 9W load. Found that even unplugging it from a full charge for 5 mins it loses about 10% charge :unsure: Guessing it didn't come with proper deep cycle rated batteries. And to top it off Eaton support has been almost nonexistent..
Here you go boet - cheap as chips http://www.sherlotronics.co.za/power-supply-12vdc-3-2a/
You just need to punch down the 12V directly by cutting off the existing 220V to 12V switching power supply.

DJZassie

Started with this unit:

Lasted me roughly 18 months before the batteries wouldn't last the full 2.5 hours... (not bad for 18 months of loadshedding not affecting my network.)
I then replaced the batteries myself with 2x of these:

No issues since.

This is powering:
1x RB2011RM
1x gigabit 24 port switch
1x 8 port POE Injector (This was used when i had 4x Mikrotik dishes on my roof for WUG usage)
1x Unifi AP LR
1x POE injector <> POE to DC Splitter for CPE (My CPE is around 15 meters away from my network cabinet)

image132

Expert Member
Octotel is by far the worst company to have fibre connectivity with. The constant 'oh it's the ISPs fault' or the 'its not us must be something else' excuse, to the complete incompetence of there guys to fix things is beyond baffling.

Preach it man.

Event TTconnect seems to have sorted their s*** out because although they had a crappy network they were at least willing to fix it.

leppie

Any cheap 600VA UPS will work for router/cpe. Replace battery every 2 or so years.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hi @TheRoDent @PBCool

Any update on the the possibility of the nttp/news server?

Also wanted to say my internet is running perfectly. I'm getting 200mbps any time and every time :)
What is your feeling on paying for such a service?

We would need to invest in a chunk of storage for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.