Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leppie

For which area is this related to? Everyone on Octotel is experiencing issues...
This would be for their backhaul link from Cape Gate that has been congested for a long time but recently got a lot worse.

Every evening since late Feb
1584689359126.png

leppie

What is the problem exactly? Is it specific to CoolIdeas?
No, it the Octotel backhaul from Cape Gate (which should cover you too). I have been on it for years now, and since they added new areas around here about a month ago, it has become super congested. So hopefully if they fix it properly, we should be good for sometime untill Octotel over provisions again.

Their network is so bad recently that my router crashes/stalls every other day.

jannier

Expert Member
No, it the Octotel backhaul from Cape Gate (which should cover you too). I have been on it for years now, and since they added new areas around here about a month ago, it has become super congested. So hopefully if they fix it properly, we should be good for sometime untill Octotel over provisions again.

Their network is so bad recently that my router crashes/stalls every other day.
One would think.... that is if you have brains....seems the octotel people fail in this department, that if you add new sectors/areas/suburbs/clients to your exchanges/pops that you need to increase your capacity to keep quality of service at the current acceptable levels.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
One would think.... that is if you have brains....seems the octotel people fail in this department, that if you add new sectors/areas/suburbs/clients to your exchanges/pops that you need to increase your capacity to keep quality of service at the current acceptable levels.
These guys might or might not monitor those links. If they monitor the link, they monitor the usage but none of the other metrics. The typical usage graph is averaged to 5 minutes or 20 minutes.
The problem with that is that is not how bandwidth works. It bursts at the seconds level, experiences drops and then tries to compensate. That is not visible on a 5 or 20 minute usage graph.
They can change the situation by shaping traffic which deals with the bursts by using queues but most last mile equipment polices, i.e. just drops packets above a certain rate.
25 years ago we monitored the error counters on LAN switches to detect problems. Somewhere people stopped doing that and now rely on luck.

image132

Expert Member

I don't think its incompetence I think its greed. Octotel's default stance on any issue is a knee jerk reaction of "Its not our network. Its perfect. Its your ISP" even when faced with objective evidence its NOT the ISP.

I think it was @CrypticZA who had a story where a friend of his on Ocototel was having problems to they called out a tech. The tech checked his line and said "Your line it fine. The network is stuffed and they don't want to fix it."

They are simply a greedy company in it for the money.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I don't think its incompetence I think its greed. Octotel's default stance on any issue is a knee jerk reaction of "Its not our network. Its perfect. Its your ISP" even when faced with objective evidence its NOT the ISP.

I think it was @CrypticZA who had a story where a friend of his on Ocototel was having problems to they called out a tech. The tech checked his line and said "Your line it fine. The network is stuffed and they don't want to fix it."

They are simply a greedy company in it for the money.
Yea i know a guy had multiple guys come out and the one literally said this network is beyond repair basically and we can see it, i know someone else who lives in the same area and their internet is horrible, they have such bad packet loss they can't even make a whatsapp call

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
We are still in discussion but it seems to be super complicated to apply, if it was a blanket change at network level we would be happy to do so, but to do so on a case by case process is a nightmare. We received the notice this am.

EDIT: It looks like the blanket thing is an option so we probably will, managing the 100Mbps customers with 100Mbps routers going to 200Mbps is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Last edited:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
We are still evaluating the impact and proposal from Vumatel. In any case it would only apply from the 1st of April.
Fully understandable, Saw WebSquad jump at the proposal and just thought i'd ask since working from home on a 20/2 has its issues so being bumped to 50/5 would help a lot.

EDIT: Running via our company VPN to access our server and work on it, i am quickly seeing how suddenly my "fast standard of a 20meg" has deteriorated

mastercylinder

We are still evaluating the impact and proposal from Vumatel. In any case it would only apply from the 1st of April.
How does it work WRT upload speed? I would go from 50/5 to 100/10 not from 50/5 to 50/50?

(Edit: Working from home, upload speed matters...)

Status
Not open for further replies.