Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

juro

AWS currently using direct connect, more than likely using Eassy cable. Which router are you using?
That's the one Cool Ideas supplied me with - I know it can do with upgrading, but I don't want to pay R1000 for a Tp-Link C20s and C5, if I know that it only supports 867 Mbps, if I know that there are ones with 1300 Mbps - I like to invest into hardware that will be ok for at least 2 years.

Last edited:

S.Claus

Expert Member
That's the one Cool Ideas supplied me with - I know it can do with upgrading, but I don't want to pay R1000 for a Tp-Link C20s and C5, if I know that it only supports 867 Mbps, if I know that there are ones with 1300 Mbps - I like to invest into hardware that will be ok for at least 2 years.
Ax88U running Merlin.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
So you are using a C20 currently? This is why you won't have anything above 100Mbps.

The 867Mbps you are quoting is wireless capability yeah?

juro

So you are using a C20 currently? This is why you won't have anything above 100Mbps.

The 867Mbps you are quoting is wireless capability yeah?
No, I'm using the TP-Link TL-WR840N v2.

Yes, that's wireless capability - unfortunately, my setup does not allow me to run an ethernet cable, so I'm limited to wireless performance. What router would I need to get the full speed?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Yes, that's wireless capability - unfortunately, my setup does not allow me to run an ethernet cable, so I'm limited to wireless performance. What router would I need to get the full speed?

Yes so limited to 100Mbps.

With the double up you will be getting 200Mbps so can you elaborate on what you mean by "full speed"?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

Either of these will do:

Your current router is limited to 100Mbps

grantduke

Does Openserve/Telkom fibre also "sync" at a slightly higher rate to accomodate the TCP overhead?

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Does Openserve/Telkom fibre also "sync" at a slightly higher rate to accomodate the TCP overhead?
There are more over overheads than TCP. There is the Ethernet encapsulation and well as IP and PPPoE overhead. Given all that they do at a network level police the sessions at a higher bit rate so that the data can transmit at the purchased rate.
The biggest thing is as higher bit rates they use metric so 1 Gigabit per second is equal to 1,000,000,000 bits per second!
For me it will always be 1,073,741,824 bits per second!

Yster21

There are more over overheads than TCP. There is the Ethernet encapsulation and well as IP and PPPoE overhead. Given all that they do at a network level police the sessions at a higher bit rate so that the data can transmit at the purchased rate.
The biggest thing is as higher bit rates they use metric so 1 Gigabit per second is equal to 1,000,000,000 bits per second!
This is a rather interesting read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix

Giga means 10^9. You can't change the value of the prefix dependent on the unit of measurement you are referring to. Why would the meaning of kilo change when going from kilogram to kilobyte? The kibi/mebi/gibi prefixes make more sense and removes confusion.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
As far as I know, the 1024 thing (2^10 vs 10^3) only applies to storage (because of the way addressing in memory chips works), it does not apply to transmissions speeds, so a 56kbps modem was 56*1000bps not 56*1024bps.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
As far as I know, the 1024 thing (2^10 vs 10^3) only applies to storage (because of the way addressing in memory chips works), it does not apply to transmissions speeds, so a 56kbps modem was 56*1000bps not 56*1024bps.
Have you ever looked at what size your operating system reports for a 1TB hard disk???? The buggers short change us there as well. We should move this conversation over to the water cooler thread https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/the-ultimate-watercooler-thread.1079327/

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
and what is a good CPT speedtest server to use for 1GB testing?
DataKeepers, ECN and Vox (only just) can do over 1Gbps.
Most of the others can barely manage 800Mbps, and Webafrica can't even do 200Mbps!

My best ever result was from speedtest.co.za.

leppie

DataKeepers, ECN and Vox (only just) can do over 1Gbps.
Most of the others can barely manage 800Mbps, and Webafrica can't even do 200Mbps!

My best ever result was from speedtest.co.za.
I dont see Datakeepers and ECN in the speedtest list (maybe http only?). I managed to get 734 on Clear Access as the best one so far.

Almost hitting 700 on speedtest.co.za.

Wondering if router is holding me back? It is a pretty old, but stable one (Zyxel VMG8924-B10A), except for the UI that craps out after a few days..., but still runs fine.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I dont see Datakeepers and ECN in the speedtest list (maybe http only?). I managed to get 734 on Clear Access as the best one so far.

Almost hitting 700 on speedtest.co.za.

Wondering if router is holding me back? It is a pretty old, but stable one (Zyxel VMG8924-B10A), except for the UI that craps out after a few days..., but still runs fine.
Could be your PC as well, easy way to test is bypass router completely.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I dont see Datakeepers and ECN in the speedtest list (maybe http only?).
You're right, I don't see DataKeepers on the list, and ECN only seems to be in Johannesburg and Durban.
They were there a couple of weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.