Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

leppie

Your NIC driver is out dated and using the default OS driver, the latest is at Intel.

Win10:

No difference, but I will test again tomorrow. And try convince the other 4 people in my family to forgo 15 minutes of internet loss while I test with a direct connection.

I mean it is not bad, not great either, and we dealing with Octotel. Then again, they should not be offering 1Gbit lines if they cant support it.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
No difference, but I will test again tomorrow. And try convince the other 4 people in my family to forgo 15 minutes of internet loss while I test with a direct connection.

I mean it is not bad, not great either, and we dealing with Octotel. Then again, they should not be offering 1Gbit lines if they cant support it.
Hey, we just got on from them supporting 100Mbps lines... :laugh:

leppie

I think my router is OK, probably just slow speedtest servers except for the Cool Ideas one in JHB :D (btw what happened to the CPT one @TheRoDent ? )

1586888062495.png

Edit: I probably need to switch back to CoreIX again

Greglsh

@PBCool @TheRoDent

I have a ticket number I logged yesterday (#COOL-20200413-415135) I just had a complete loss of internet connection for about 15 seconds, PS4 game froze, Spotify stopped streaming. I have some graphs of it if you require, I am doing a continues ping to 8.8.4.4 and pinger.cisp.co.za, both of these dropped for the 15 seconds, but the one pinging 154.0.1.121 did not drop at all? I also get random small packet losses. I am on Vumatel trenched in Durban, Moseley.

Attachments

• Complete_Internet_drop_8.8.4.4.png
    Complete_Internet_drop_8.8.4.4.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Complete_Internet_Drop_pinger.cisp.co.za.png
    Complete_Internet_Drop_pinger.cisp.co.za.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Pinging -pinger.cisp.co.za.png
    Pinging -pinger.cisp.co.za.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I think my router is OK, probably just slow speedtest servers except for the Cool Ideas one in JHB :D (btw what happened to the CPT one @TheRoDent ? )

View attachment 821663

Edit: I probably need to switch back to CoreIX again
Yeah take it easy on the intl tests every 10 mins, otherwise we'll have to start throttling to the advertised 100Mbps international, and @jannier will hate you for that :)

leppie

Yeah take it easy on the intl tests every 10 mins, otherwise we'll have to start throttling to the advertised 100Mbps international, and @jannier will hate you for that :)

@PBCool seems to misread timestamps too :D It is once an hour! And I only run the test for 5 seconds with 4 connections whereas speedtest normally does 10-15 seconds with 6 connections.

I know what a hog it can be, back when I joined CISP and when I was still on Afrihost, I had 6 tests running every 15 minutes for a time. Again only 5 seconds, but that was 750GB a month :oops: . So cutting it by 12, it is hardly anything, around 60GB/m (2 local, 1 EU) based on 100mbit speed. I will do some tests to see what I can use as a reliable timespan (less than 5 seconds).

Edit: Quick test seems to indicate 2 seconds is still semi-reliable. :thumbsup:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
@PBCool @TheRoDent

I have a ticket number I logged yesterday (#COOL-20200413-415135) I just had a complete loss of internet connection for about 15 seconds, PS4 game froze, Spotify stopped streaming. I have some graphs of it if you require, I am doing a continues ping to 8.8.4.4 and pinger.cisp.co.za, both of these dropped for the 10 seconds, but the one pinging 154.0.1.121 did not drop at all? I also get random small packet losses. I am on Vumatel trenched in Durban, Moseley.

Ok, this report isn't related to your ticket, which I have answered.

From what it sounds like, it seems like there might have been a micro outage on one our KZN JHB links, which explains pinger.cisp.co.za and 8.8.4.4 outages. 154.0.1.121 is located in KZN so that's probably why it was fine.

Will check with the longhaul provider.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
@PBCool seems to misread timestamps too :D It is once an hour! And I only run the test for 5 seconds with 4 connections whereas speedtest normally does 10-15 seconds with 6 connections.

I know what a hog it can be, back when I joined CISP and when I was still on Afrihost, I had 6 tests running every 15 minutes for a time. Again only 5 seconds, but that was 750GB a month :oops: . So cutting it by 12, it is hardly anything, around 60GB/m (2 local, 1 EU) based on 100mbit speed. I will do some tests to see what I can use as a reliable timespan (less than 5 seconds).

Lol, sorry once again. So many tiny letters :)

Edit: realistically you probably need more than 5 seconds for the TCP window to fully ramp up, so I'd suggest increasing it.

Edit2: Also check your tcp stack tuning on Windows 10, e.g. "netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal" and variations.

leppie

It's back up, cptspeedtest.cisp.co.za:8080, but not officially listed back on speedtest.net yet.

It that HTTPS enabled? I seem to be getting an error when trying it.

Edit: tunneling is normal, I never mess with settings. My Windows OS installs lasts for many years normally. The only time I had to reboot recently is because of buggy Nvidia drivers that does not recover correctly when using insufficient HDMI cables when running 4K60 in RGB mode (I am stuck with the one I have during lockdown :crying: ).

Edit2: I use the speed monitoring just for drastic issues. 2 seconds will be enough. 5 seconds @ 60GB/m times 10 will bring it back to 600GB/m.

Last edited:

sin_x

Edit: Quick test seems to indicate 2 seconds is still semi-reliable. :thumbsup:

But why?
What are you doing with the data?

leppie

But why?
What are you doing with the data?

I use the speed monitoring just for drastic issues and trending over time.

Been running it for 18 months. Pretty valuable data IMO :D Just like PRTG would do.

I have it hooked up to a PowerBI file that can give me insights to what is happening per hour in any way I can think of. If you ever used Octotel, you would understand :ROFL:

If anyone wants access to the data, give me a shout. I dont mind sharing it.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
It that HTTPS enabled? I seem to be getting an error when trying it.

Edit: tunneling is normal, I never mess with settings. My Windows OS installs lasts for many years normally. The only time I had to reboot recently is because of buggy Nvidia drivers that does not recover correctly when using insufficient HDMI cables when running 4K60 in RGB mode (I am stuck with the one I have during lockdown :crying: ).

Edit2: I use the speed monitoring just for drastic issues. 2 seconds will be enough. 5 seconds @ 60GB/m times 10 will bring it back to 600GB/m.

Not sure, it's the regular ooklaserver daemon, not apache.

2 seconds might be enough for local, due to the low RTT, but for international connections you're definately going to want to wait a little longer.

2000ms / 200ms round-trip-time will give TCP only 10 chances to get to full window size, which is likely not going to be enough.

leppie

Not sure, it's the regular ooklaserver daemon, not apache.

2 seconds might be enough for local, due to the low RTT, but for international connections you're definately going to want to wait a little longer.

2000ms / 200ms round-trip-time will give TCP only 10 chances to get to full window size, which is likely not going to be enough.

360mbit is enough for me to not be concerned :D When it goes down to < 20 I will be.

1586898403083.png

Edit: Looks like I will need to cater for HTTP then. Was really hoping to avoid 2 extra lines of code. The initial version I wrote took like an hour or 2 and HTTP support was just not worth it. This edit is probably more effort :confused:

leppie

Looks to be http only for cptspeedtest

It seems to be ok using https when you ignore the cert. Also, Speedtest seems to have been moving valid certs to a diff domain for other servers (clear access, vox). Either case. 2 line change to get it working :popcorn:

1586907814856.png

Last edited:

theHED

Once again no PPPOE connection in West Beach Cape Town when I wake up ... Still haven't seen concrete feedback as to why this is happening. Again my neighbour is not affected on Octotel and another ISP.

This is even more irritating than the DDoS attacks from last year.

@PBCool

theHED

Once again no PPPOE connection in West Beach Cape Town when I wake up ... Still haven't seen concrete feedback as to why this is happening. Again my neighbour is not affected on Octotel and another ISP.

This is even more irritating than the DDoS attacks from last year.

@PBCool
It just came up. Still would love for this to stop happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.