Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Hey @PBCool do you have any news regarding Link Africa speed upgrades?
They announced that they were adding higher speed FTTH offerings (higher than 200mbps) at the end of May, but haven't seen anything yet.
So feedback is they have nothing planned, we are going to assist in looking at 500Mbps.

User52

So feedback is they have nothing planned, we are going to assist in looking at 500Mbps.
Ok thanks, will go for 500 Mbps depending on price if they offer it. That would be perfect for us if you can do that...

kripstoe

Expert Member
Internet died completely for a couple of minutes? Durbanville, Vumatel trenched 100/100. Seems to be back now.

CrypticZA

Same for me, thought it was my works extranet that died... was around 5 minutes as well

DeatheCore

Yo @PBCool quick question - I'm trying to download a rather large game (FFXIV) but it seems download speeds are soft limited to 3MB/s - noticed it's being pulled from 154.0.14.7 - is this server hosted by CISP?

If I NordVPN to UK it instantly jumps to at least 16MB/s - akamai based server - any thoughts on this? Thought a local server would improve download speeds.. I'm on Vuma 1G btw.

EDIT: If I VPN to JHB it pulls from an MWEB hosted server but the route is still going via international? Doesn't seem right

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Yo @PBCool quick question - I'm trying to download a rather large game (FFXIV) but it seems download speeds are soft limited to 3MB/s - noticed it's being pulled from 154.0.14.7 - is this server hosted by CISP?

If I NordVPN to UK it instantly jumps to at least 16MB/s - akamai based server - any thoughts on this? Thought a local server would improve download speeds.. I'm on Vuma 1G btw.

EDIT: If I VPN to JHB it pulls from an MWEB hosted server but the route is still going via international? Doesn't seem right

View attachment 868819
Yeah that's our akamai on-net cluster, so obviously limited per session to 3MB/s, on the VPN international side Nord obviously gets transit from HE and so if they get transit there it will prefer the London route.

DeatheCore

Yeah that's our akamai on-net cluster, so obviously limited per session to 3MB/s, on the VPN international side Nord obviously gets transit from HE and so if they get transit there it will prefer the London route.
Cheers for the explanation! Forget what I said about the VPN to JHB stuff - slight brainfart lol

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason behind the 3MB/s limit? Akamai UK or MWEB CPT (via HE transit) are pushing out ~16MB/s for the same application.

CrypticZA

Do you game much on Nord? I've been using it on and off with apex and I find I every now and then get a random disconnect... But 150ms vs 190 so wondering if it's just me kinda risky playing ranked with it but 40ms improvement

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Cheers for the explanation! Forget what I said about the VPN to JHB stuff - slight brainfart lol

If you don't mind me asking, what's the reason behind the 3MB/s limit? Akamai UK or MWEB CPT (via HE transit) are pushing out ~16MB/s for the same application.
No idea, it isn't a massive cluster. Have asked them on numerous occasions if we need to upgrade.

DeatheCore

Do you game much on Nord? I've been using it on and off with apex and I find I every now and then get a random disconnect... But 150ms vs 190 so wondering if it's just me kinda risky playing ranked with it but 40ms improvement
Nah I don't game with Nord often, find that I get too many PL spikes, depending on the server or how Nord feels at the time :p I have gamed using it in the past when there were issues with PUBG and AWS, because yeah 150 is way better than 190 imo, just hope and pray that you don't get a PL spike during a fight... :laugh:
No idea, it isn't a massive cluster. Have asked them on numerous occasions if we need to upgrade.
Ahh I see.. guess they're going with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset :laugh:

under_sky

Expert Member
@PBCool please can you get your connect team to follow up on this 2 days into the month and they have not notified MFN I always have issues with your connect team when it comes to a MfN client

(#COOL-20200527-441553) New Application from Charl Groenewald

ovl314

Line went dead about half an hour ago in Edenburg, Metrofibre. Nothing on the announcement page