Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

PBCool

Cool Ideas
If I log into the control panel with the details I was sent, it shows me as 100/100 on the service profile.

For the link tests, I'm currently only testing via WiFi via an Apple iPhone, MacBook Pro 2019 and a Dell G3 gaming laptop. I'm using the default AC750 Wireless Dual Band Router Archer C20 router I got.

I know I'll hit limits on these devices over WiFi, just thought it would be a bit faster than 10MBit down on a 100MBit connection. I'm going to plug in ethernet now to test cable.

*EDIT*
This is on Ocotel.
PM me your account details will have a look, but realistically wireless isn't a realistic way to test a service. When did you upgrade? They should send you a C5/6

cenredash

Expert Member
Hi @PBCool

Hope someone is monitoring the ticket system. Just logged a call
COOL-20200705-467251, disconnects. And one tenth the speed.

Thanks

zamrg

PM me your account details will have a look, but realistically wireless isn't a realistic way to test a service. When did you upgrade? They should send you a C5/6
I didn't upgrade :) I'm a brand new customer. I definitely applied for the right package, but got loaded on the wrong one. I'll send my account details.

cenredash

Expert Member
Hi @PBCool

Hope someone is monitoring the ticket system. Just logged a call
COOL-20200705-467251, disconnects. And one tenth the speed.

Thanks
Thanks, got a call after 9 this morning and got sorted. Evening netflix messed up, but at least good to go for working from home!

smokemaryjane

@PBCool

Seems I am the only one with an Internet issue on cisp. And no notification to indicate to me why.

Please could you check on 20200707-468102

ItherNiT

Is frogfoot the only fibre provider that offers symmetric gigabit to consumers?

(I know Vuma does the 1000/100, but ideally I'm looking symmetric)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Is frogfoot the only fibre provider that offers symmetric gigabit to consumers?

(I know Vuma does the 1000/100, but ideally I'm looking symmetric)
Pretty much, we could probably offer symmetric via Vumatel but there is no special deal on the line fee like the 1000/100, so the service would cost far more.

ItherNiT

Pretty much, we could probably offer symmetric via Vumatel but there is no special deal on the line fee like the 1000/100, so the service would cost far higher.
I see, thx for the super fast response (as always) :)

Its really a pity, but I'm guessing that if I want that kind of speed (dedicated) I should start looking at servers in data centers. The cost comparison between servers in SA and in EU are kinda crazy, but should hopefully come down in the next 5 years, as ICT starts to take off in the country (digital migration and all that).

Armizael

Its really a pity, but I'm guessing that if I want that kind of speed (dedicated) I should start looking at servers in data centers. The cost comparison between servers in SA and in EU are kinda crazy, but should hopefully come down in the next 5 years, as ICT starts to take off in the country (digital migration and all that).
Anything above 200/200 is pretty hit and miss for Frogfoot anyway and depends heavily on the area and any congestion.

I'm on 500/500 atm and I average around 220 down and 250 up - sometimes I get up to 350-400 down and up, but that's fairly rare.

I regularly see better results from the other fibre providers at > 200mbps, so you're better off not having Frogfoot anyway :rolleyes:

Good example:

PBCool

Cool Ideas

Yeah typically, DM me what you want we have our own DC in Rosebank.

ItherNiT

:( I'm on a 200/200 with MFN.

But I'm starting to max out my upload. I'm hoping that sadv/vuma makes a 500/500 account tbh. Odds are good that when I move at the end of the year I'm going to move into a complex with sadv/vuma.

Thnx for the feedback @Armizael

rezabz

Expert Member
Hey guys, I need some advice.
Vodacom Fibre just went live in my area (yeah I'm disappointed its VC but it is what it is so no use moaning)

My ISP options are as follows:
1. Vodacom
R910 install fee
R600 cancel fee before 12months
Free to use locked Nokia modem

2. Cool Ideas
R1500 install fee
No cancel fee
Not sure about modem

3. Vox
Free install
R2758 cancel fee before 12 months (yikes!)
Free to use locked Mikrotik modem

Vodacom has a FUP which should not be an issue for me as I do not game or download huge files.
Price wise Vodacom is the cheapest with their packages.

Who would you suggest I go with?
Right now Im actually thinking of just holding on a bit and seeing whats other people experiences and then make a decision... but I've been waiting so damn long for fibre

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Vodacom Fibre just went live in my area (yeah I'm disappointed its VC but it is what it is so no use moaning)

1. Vodacom
R910 install fee

2. Cool Ideas
R1500 install fee
No cancel fee
Not sure about modem

3. Vox
Free install

Vodacom has a FUP which should not be an issue for me as I do not game or download huge files.

Right now Im actually thinking of just holding on a bit and seeing whats other people experiences and then make a decision... but I've been waiting so damn long for fibre
We provide you with a TPLink C20 typically that isnt locked.

We were the 2nd ISP to go live on Vodacom, so we have a fair amount of experience with them.

midasza

1. Vodacom
R910 install fee

2. Cool Ideas
R1500 install fee
No cancel fee
Not sure about modem

3. Vox
Free install

Vodacom
If you are a mom and pop house with no special port forward needs then the vodacome router is pretty bad but works fine (I always install either ubiquiti or mikrotik wireless in houses I install in), their faults department is ok but their billing department is shocking. If you have ANY need to do port forwards or any other stuff on the router stay far far away form Vodacom - u have to log a call and then they give you access so only for 24 hours before u have to log another call so for example the alarm company is there to link the alarm module to the internet and needs a port forward (paradox ip150 module) you better have coordinated their times.

Clients on vodacom have noticed slowness around peak times but its hard to pin down if that's infrastructure or ISP related.

Cool Ideas
Personally I don't rate the C20 and I prefer a dedicated router and a dedicated wireless except if its an extremely small area, but at least its not locked. Otherwise the support from telephone after hours is a problem - its doesn't exist so if you want to speak to a person at 10pm at night this is an issue for you. If u are comfortable on mybroadband and the portal probably not an issue.

Vox
Well my parents are on vox - specifically so they can call someone at 9pm when my mom can't stream netflix so she doesn't call me. That being said if you are anything other than a meat and potatoes type person their shaping will probably drive you nuts. Seeing as my parents think netflix on a samsung smart tv is the height of fancy internet this is not an issue for them. I can't recommend any gaming on vox.

My 2cents.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Thanks for your 2 cents - much appreciated bud.

Judging from the price tag of the C20 I'd say it is at the bottom of the range.
I'd rather use my own modem - will this be possible?
Yeap of course.

zamrg

It's only day 4 or so here and I'm really battling to get anything from this connection. I've switched to ethernet and managed to see 11MBit/s on Steam earlier today.

I'm on 100/100 and am seeing this right now: 7.89 down, 9.33 up, via Octotel in Moullie Point. https://www.speedtest.net/result/9721356955

I was put on the wrong package, and am getting the gigabit router tomorrow, but I'm not really sure it's worth it if I'm really only seeing 10MBit.