Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

User52

Now that I'm used to 400mbps (from the free upgrade), cant use anything < 400mbps now :)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
What has made you not do the same method as afrihost DHCP activation instead of PPPoE ?
Well in certain aspects this isn't an option, Openserve for instance. PPP encapsulation gives us a level of control for layer2 networks. If you want to do IPoE everywhere then you need to either route everything through a single device (like a sandvine) or manipulate your edge devices.

We don't use something like sandvine as it's main purpose is to shape traffic.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Just a heads up it looks like we are going to decommission the SACS service, it's far too complicated to try and manage vs the benefit thereof.

This is mostly down to the fact that certain games don't allow you to change your region, so for the likes of AWS peering we had to disable the Sao Paulo peer as it was interfering with certain games.

Blizzard is one of the beneficiary routes but when they release updates there is no way to get them from a local cache, so their CDNs then try and use SACS and NY, which would mean we would need lots of capacity on that route for the random updates that happen, alternatively manually drop the peer for updates, so realistically is not a technically feasible solution at this point.

I would like to hear any objections or feedback on dropping this cable?

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Just a heads up it looks like we are going to decommission the SACS service, it's far too complicated to try and manage vs the benefit thereof.

This is mostly down to the fact that certain games don't allow you to change your region, so for the likes of AWS peering we had to disable the Sao Paulo peer as it was interfering with certain games.

Blizzard is one of the beneficiary routes but when they release updates there is no way to get them from a local cache, so their CDNs then try and use SACS and NY, which would mean we would need lots of capacity on that route for the random updates that happen, alternatively manually drop the peer for updates, so realistically is not a technically feasible solution at this point.

I use it mainly to play Apex during the evening on the one Brazil server because EU becomes pretty bad to play on (EA support blame you guys), but i think its their servers, that being said that server can only be play on from like 7pm onward so if it were to be gone it would not really be a train smash.

How would this affect the likes of Twitch? Twitch has been running amazing for the past month i would say and i know a lot of people who have horrible experience with Twitch buffering. Would this pull from EU or NA?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I use it mainly to play Apex during the evening on the one Brazil server because EU becomes pretty bad to play on (EA support blame you guys), but i think its their servers, that being said that server can only be play on from like 7pm onward so if it were to be gone it would not really be a train smash.

How would this affect the likes of Twitch? Twitch has been running amazing for the past month i would say and i know a lot of people who have horrible experience with Twitch buffering. Would this pull from EU or NA?
Our Twitch peer to ix.br has been disabled for a while, so don't see any changes there, Twitch doesnt peer at either of the NY fabrics we peer at.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Our Twitch peer to ix.br has been disabled for a while, so don't see any changes there, Twitch doesnt peer at either of the NY fabrics we peer at.
In that case Twitch working fine without it ✓

Also with regards to Blizzard games i do not really see a benefit from it?

Overwatch you would want to play EU since 160ms from CPT vs NA is 220ms (game is horrible 200ms+ imo).
Brazil servers are dead and impossible to get onto without a VPN.

WoW you get i think 155 to EU vs NA will be more or less 220 as well.
CoD is local servers and next closest is Saudi Arabia at 130ms~

The rest of their games are basically dead.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
In that case Twitch working fine without it ✓

Also with regards to Blizzard games i do not really see a benefit from it?

Overwatch you would want to play EU since 160ms from CPT vs NA is 220ms (game is horrible 200ms+ imo).
Brazil servers are dead and impossible to get onto without a VPN.

WoW you get i think 155 to EU vs NA will be more or less 220 as well.
CoD is local servers and next closest is Saudi Arabia at 130ms~

The rest of their games are basically dead.
Well exactly, we do have guys playing WoW on NA servers that is apparently "much ~20ms" better via SACS/Monet but realistically it is so few that to keep the service going doesn't make sense at this point.

MDE

Expert Member
Well exactly, we do have guys playing WoW on NA servers that is apparently "much ~20ms" better via SACS/Monet but realistically it is so few that to keep the service going doesn't make sense at this point.
Happy to let it go. Haven't seen any benefit for my use cases.

DYreX146

I don't really see much benefit to having the cable, but I also don't use NA servers.

Do you think it would be possible to use the SAFE cable instead? Whenever I have video calls to family in Australia it's very delayed as I get about 500ms to AU.

Being in KZN it would also be nice to choose Singapore servers as an alternative if there are any problems with EU servers.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I don't really see much benefit to having the cable, but I also don't use NA servers.

Do you think it would be possible to use the SAFE cable instead? Whenever I have video calls to family in Australia it's very delayed as I get about 500ms to AU.

Being in KZN it would also be nice to choose Singapore servers as an alternative if there are any problems with EU servers.
We are considering SAFE, but will face similar challenges as before with SACS, but may trial it for a while.

DYreX146

We are considering SAFE, but will face similar challenges as before with SACS, but may trial it for a while.
Thanks for the fast reply, It would be really nice to see how it performs. I would be happy to test it and provide feedback. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.