Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I don't really see much benefit to having the cable, but I also don't use NA servers.

Do you think it would be possible to use the SAFE cable instead? Whenever I have video calls to family in Australia it's very delayed as I get about 500ms to AU.

Being in KZN it would also be nice to choose Singapore servers as an alternative if there are any problems with EU servers.
If you want to try out Warp+ it might be able to help you out. Just recently discovered i get in Apex 250ms to Singapore via it and then NordVPN the one provider uses Neotel so you get pretty decent ping to Asia, i am getting from Cape Town 220ms to South Korea.

Never really made sense to me why to use SACS when your gain is so small from it where SAFE makes your Asia/Oceania pings a lot more manageable.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
If you want to try out Warp+ it might be able to help you out. Just recently discovered i get in Apex 250ms to Singapore via it and then NordVPN the one provider uses Neotel so you get pretty decent ping to Asia, i am getting from Cape Town 220ms to South Korea.

Never really made sense to me why to use SACS when your gain is so small from it where SAFE makes your Asia/Oceania pings a lot more manageable.
Well SACS to Sao Paulo was a major improvement obviously, NY not that much, Miami a fair improvement.

DYreX146

I haven't tried Warp+ but I heard that it's a mission to set up on PC. Luckily many games that I play have been getting SA servers recently so I hopefully won't need to use it.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I haven't tried Warp+ but I heard that it's a mission to set up on PC. Luckily many games that I play have been getting SA servers recently so I hopefully won't need to use it.
Once you got a config file its easy but getting it is a pain tbh. Its also probably one of the worst for Cape Town...

Gambit

Expert Member
Anyone experience very brief drop connectivity drops? Usually, my connection is rock solid but today it has dropped twice for less than a minute. It was very short but caused issues with my Zoom meeting presentation. Was wondering if it is just me.

1. 8:24am
2. 1:23pm

1Gbps/100Mbps CISP, Vumatel trenched. Durbanville, Cape Town

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Anyone experience very brief drop connectivity drops? Usually, my connection is rock solid but today it has dropped twice for less than a minute. It was very short but caused issues with my Zoom meeting presentation. Was wondering if it is just me.

Nothing we're aware of unfortunately, maybe try do an MTR when it happens.

CrypticZA

Expert Member

Was it around the time you got loadshedding? When our power came back today at 2.15pm i had two dips and when i went to the CPE it was restarting

image132

Expert Member
You on Octotel?
Have the drops been happening to you too?

I've noticed them recently too. pppoe won't drop (nothing is logged in my router) and all lights on router and ONT are green but traffic will just stop for a few min then resume.

MDE

Expert Member
Have the drops been happening to you too?

I've noticed them recently too. pppoe won't drop (nothing is logged in my router) and all lights on router and ONT are green but traffic will just stop for a few min then resume.
No nothing. Everything fine.

labratza

Expert Member
@PBCool Quick one. I need to relocate my service as we are moving end of August. When try applying on your website it shows no coverage but even where I currently have fibre according to your site there is no coverage. Both addresses do have fibre. As house we bought has ONT already installed and it is active on VUMA. Also if look on another ISP site it shows there is Fibre.

Can this please be sorted so that I can cancel my current service and have new one activated on 26 August at new address

kripstoe

Expert Member
Internet died a couple of minutes ago. Seems to be back now but blue light on CPE still flashing. Durbanville. Vumatel. Trenched 100/100

prOd

Expert Member
Internet died a couple of minutes ago. Seems to be back now but blue light on CPE still flashing. Durbanville. Vumatel. Trenched 100/100
internet also down in Wynberg, Southern Subs.

Vumatel

Edit: Neighbor's internet is also down (they are with Afrihost) so must be a Vumatel issue?

Came up now @ 9am

Last edited:

x7razor

down here in kraaifontein Vuma trenched since last nights load shedding blue light on cpe is flashing. Did a reset of the cpe power a couple of times and its now on but cant even use internet.

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC1200G+-64A8 [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 498 ms * * n9d9-cust.coolideas.co.za [102.132.175.109]
4 6 ms 9 ms 12 ms 154.0.3.49
5 * 4 ms * 100.98.0.4
6 4 ms 2 ms 1 ms cloudflare.ixp.capetown [196.60.70.198]
7 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]

PBCool

Cool Ideas
down here in kraaifontein Vuma trenched since last nights load shedding blue light on cpe is flashing. Did a reset of the cpe power a couple of times and its now on but cant even use internet.

Tracing route to one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC1200G+-64A8 [192.168.1.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 498 ms * * n9d9-cust.coolideas.co.za [102.132.175.109]
4 6 ms 9 ms 12 ms 154.0.3.49
5 * 4 ms * 100.98.0.4
6 4 ms 2 ms 1 ms cloudflare.ixp.capetown [196.60.70.198]
7 1 ms 2 ms 1 ms one.one.one.one [1.1.1.1]
Will you let support know?
That trace is fine ironically.