Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Interesting, if I may ask, any particular reason why you will switch OP away from Metrofibre?

I wish I had other network provider options available, Metrofibre is very expensive, to such an extent I'd say they are not competitive when a person is looking for a faster connection (100 and 200 Mbps). I wish they offered 500 Mbps or 1Gbps options.
Metrofibre are terrible to deal with it's a problem when an FNO has their own ISP, they see you as a competitor.

Genisys

Honorary Master
Metrofibre are terrible to deal with it's a problem when an FNO has their own ISP, they see you as a competitor.
One thing I don't get is, why is MetroFibre's own ISP so expensive? I switched to CISP because it didn't make sense to not pay the R200 extra to get double the speed I was getting with them.

ajules

Expert Member
@PBCool your new Octotel Fibre 100/100 pricing looks great.Do you think it’s comparable to the Openserve network?

CrypticZA

No, was checking here first before contacting their support. Which I will do now.
I took part in the beta before the one they had now and I got disconnected from 2 or 3 games (probably for latency) so maybe they only hosting servers in NA for now? Super fun game to play I stopped playing because it looked like I kept getting kicked from lobbies

rezabz

Expert Member
I have a strange issue... One of my paid streaming apps does not work with my fibre (isp CI).
My fibre went live on Monday and I've been trying the app since Wednesday and it refuses to work.
The app itself works fine - opens, loads, searches, etc.
Once I hit play it just loads continuously.

This afternoon I tried it with my Rain sim and it worked flawlessly.

Any idea why? Strange, I know.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
I have a strange issue... One of my paid streaming apps does not work with my fibre (isp CI).
My fibre went live on Monday and I've been trying the app since Wednesday and it refuses to work.
The app itself works fine - opens, loads, searches, etc.
Once I hit play it just loads continuously.

This afternoon I tried it with my Rain sim and it worked flawlessly.

Any idea why? Strange, I know.
Possibly MTU related?

rezabz

Expert Member
Possibly MTU related?
Was having some other issues which have been resolved since setting the MTU to 1380 as advised by Tayla - Who provided excellent service I must admit.

I am also still having issues with slow torrent downloads - although when I checked a little while earlier there seemed to be some improvement.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Was having some other issues which have been resolved since setting the MTU to 1380 as advised by Tanya - Who provided excellent service I must admit.

I am also still having issues with slow torrent downloads - although when I checked a little while earlier there seemed to be some improvement.
The higher the MTU you can manage the better the performance, there are ways to determine the max MTU. An example is here:

sn0rbaard

@PBCool Been having ping spikes since late yesterday afternoon, every minute or two for like 10-20 seconds, normal 20 ping shooting up to 400, same thing also happens on EU and on different servers tested. There don't seem to be packet loss. Somerset West area, on SADV. Any advice whats up?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
@PBCool Been having ping spikes since late yesterday afternoon, every minute or two for like 10-20 seconds, normal 20 ping shooting up to 400, same thing also happens on EU and on different servers tested. There don't seem to be packet loss. Somerset West area, on SADV. Any advice whats up?
Can you try run an MTR to try and identify where it's happening? Nothing like that on our graphs.

rezabz

Expert Member
The higher the MTU you can manage the better the performance, there are ways to determine the max MTU. An example is here:

I've tried this without success.
Began lowering by 10 as the guide suggests then lowering by larger numbers.
Every number I tried yielded the same result, needs to be fragmented'

For interest sake I even lowered it to the lowest possible (576) and still got the same result.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
I've tried this without success.
Began lowering by 10 as the guide suggests then lowering by larger numbers.
Every number I tried yielded the same result, needs to be fragmented'

For interest sake I even lowered it to the lowest possible (576) and still got the same result.
Will you enable ICMP on your router then I can test from my side.