Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

PBCool

Cool Ideas
He's on Octotel, they use GPON. I thought GPON doesn't need gennies or UPS'?

But yeah ESKOM is without a doubt, a problem.
Octotel have POPs where the OLTs live so they will be on genset and UPS.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
The peering looks ok again except for IS which does not prefer local in Cape Town for Cool Ideas.
PM which IP range, we selectively announce to IS in each region, does it leave in Cape Town and return via JHB sort of thing?

Orihalcon

Expert Member
Haven't been checking here recently as things have generally been OK...but looking at ping for online games I'm getting a 40ms+ increased ping to London. Used to get in a perfect world around 148 and on average 165. Now I'm sitting at 203 if I'm lucky.

Are there issues in general being resolved or...?

Games in question are Paladins to EU server, Titanfall 2 and Apex.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Haven't been checking here recently as things have generally been OK...but looking at ping for online games I'm getting a 40ms+ increased ping to London. Used to get in a perfect world around 148 and on average 165. Now I'm sitting at 203 if I'm lucky.

Are there issues in general being resolved or...?

Games in question are Paladins to EU server, Titanfall 2 and Apex.
That will be because of the WACS cable outage. We are now routing traffic via the east coast which incurs additional latency.

I take it you are Cape Town based?

Orihalcon

Expert Member
That will be because of the WACS cable outage. We are now routing traffic via the east coast which incurs additional latency.

I take it you are Cape Town based?
Indeed I am. Thank you for the speedy response.

No big deal. Will just stick to casual matches till resolved :)

Possible ETF?

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Last feedback was earlier in the thread by one of the members:
WACS S1i Congo Repairs: Repairs still in progress. ETR 08 Feb 2020. WACS UK Repairs: S4 break ETR has shifted from the initially communicated 03 Feb to 11 Feb 2020. With both breaks in mind, the end-to-end WACS repair date is therefore 11 Feb 2020.
You can track SANREN's updates on the ship activities on their twitter feed: