Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 3

smokemaryjane

Err, no. We never had any major issues, and the WACS break has been resolved a few weeks ago.

What are you having trouble with, and what network are you on ?
Want to take a stab in the dark here and say the above user is on FrogFoot.

Reason being, I couldnt do squat last night around 11pm onwards. Couldnt even load Mybb site. Eventually you could get the site to respond, but still nothing loaded on the page. So blank mybb site, same for showmax/ netflix etc.

No clue what happened by i decided to go to sleep instead.

CrypticZA

Sigh, Joe Botha leaves Octotel and a month later it falls apart.
They have not been all that great for a long time, have a friend who has been fighting them via their ISP Vox on congestion issues since his fibre went live (around a year and a half). During peak on his 100/100 he gets like 5 download and 7 upload. Been like that since day 1, they have come out several times and say there is nothing they can do.

We know a few other people in the area, the same issues and then i know a few other people in and around Cape Town with their fibre and the only place where it seems to work 100% is in Sea Point, where their offices are.

So glad Frogfoot as well as them are no where near me, so glad i got Openserve and Vumatel.

CrypticZA

They have not been all that great for a long time, have a friend who has been fighting them via their ISP Vox on congestion issues since his fibre went live (around a year and a half). During peak on his 100/100 he gets like 5 download and 7 upload. Been like that since day 1, they have come out several times and say there is nothing they can do.

We know a few other people in the area, the same issues and then i know a few other people in and around Cape Town with their fibre and the only place where it seems to work 100% is in Sea Point, where their offices are.

So glad Frogfoot as well as them are no where near me, so glad i got Openserve and Vumatel.
And the worst part of all this... They blame the ISP, and give the ISP a bad name, people on our neighbors group often **** talk Cool Ideas and ask stupid **** like "are they having another DDoS attack they so ****". Meanwhile i am across the main road on Vuma with perfect connection and results...

image132

Expert Member
I'm ready already looking at alternatives...have Openserve installed as well so might just change.
Openserve fiber? They stopped at the end of the block for me and left me out of it. :crying:

There's literally a square in Claremont not covered by Openserve and I live in there. Feels like they trolling me :ROFL:

Loppas

I can attest to this, friend of mine moved to a new place this month that has octotel and he has been struggling with terrible speeds ever since. Its not just during peak times either that his speeds are borked.

Ironically, it appears like openserve is the most stable fibre network. I kinda wish i could go back to vuma for the 1gbps service which i previously had and the minimal latency hit when saturating the line, it was nice. On the other hand my openserve line is way more solid with its speeds than my vuma line was, i get consistently good single threaded performance which i never got before and the flexibility of multiple pppoe accounts on the same line is a plus as well.

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
Seems OS is giving the shitters?

seems it was just drivers/reset

Last edited:

image132

Expert Member
I can attest to this, friend of mine moved to a new place this month that has octotel and he has been struggling with terrible speeds ever since. Its not just during peak times either that his speeds are borked.

Ironically, it appears like openserve is the most stable fibre network. I kinda wish i could go back to vuma for the 1gbps service which i previously had and the minimal latency hit when saturating the line, it was nice. On the other hand my openserve line is way more solid with its speeds than my vuma line was, i get consistently good single threaded performance which i never got before and the flexibility of multiple pppoe accounts on the same line is a plus as well.
They've never been a good company. I have very little faith in them.

About 4 months after they first installed here I too started getting high latency and low throughput during peak hours. Iperfs showed 3-5% packet loss locally. Therodent installed a black box between my ont and router to run remote tests which confirmed the loss. They just denied it. MDE and a bunch of other residents in our area started complaining from multiple ISPs on their social media and rodent sent his black box to multiple users in the area to show Octotel. For 6 months they just denied denied denied anything was wrong and finally they said they were "re configuring the area." This took about 8 months of being shown objective and anecdotal evidence before they did something.

If I remember correctly execs from RSAweb own Octotel. Chances are they just after some money. If rodent is right and the best person working there is now gone, well the company is probably going to go the way of eskom very quickly. You just have to laugh that they want to expand into JHB.

Last edited:

CrypticZA

They've never been a good company. I have very little faith in them.

About 4 months after they first installed here I too started getting high latency and low throughput during peak hours. Iperfs showed 3-5% packet loss locally. Therodent installed a black box between my ont and router to run remote tests which confirmed the loss. They just denied it. MDE and a bunch of other residents in our area started complaining from multiple ISPs on their social media and rodent sent his black box to multiple users in the area to show Octotel. For 6 months they just denied denied denied anything was wrong and finally they said they were "re configuring the area." This took about 8 months of being shown objective and anecdotal evidence before they did something.

If I remember correctly execs from RSAweb own Octotel. Chances are they just after some money. If rodent is right and the best person working there is now gone, well the company is probably going to go the way of eskom very quickly. You just have to laugh that they want to expand into JHB.
We on RSAWEB's City Fibre in Cape Town, and have the same issues as Octotel and their support has the same response etc... Sadly we in a contract so stuck with the bad international performance...

GlassMirror

Expert Member
Seeing the Octotel issues in here makes me regret moving to my new apartment where only Octotel services the area. I sincerely hope they do not go the way of eskom

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Seeing the Octotel issues in here makes me regret moving to my new apartment where only Octotel services the area. I sincerely hope they do not go the way of eskom
We've done what we can with Octotel. It's one of the main reasons we implemented TCP acceleration so that our customers' international TCP performance isn't limited due to last mile issues.

We can't mitigate everything though...

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
We've done what we can with Octotel. It's one of the main reasons we implemented TCP acceleration so that our customers' international TCP performance isn't limited due to last mile issues.

You should sell a device to switch the octotel ONT off then on again. :p :ROFL:

GlassMirror

Expert Member

Thanks @TheRoDent, I really appreciate what you guys are doing as the ISP to mitigate whatever schit is happening with the FNO. It really puts me at ease that you go this far for you clients even though there are
a lot of people out there willing to give you a bad name.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Thanks @TheRoDent, I really appreciate what you guys are doing as the ISP to mitigate whatever schit is happening with the FNO. It really puts me at ease that you go this far for you clients even though there are
a lot of people out there willing to give you a bad name.
:thumbsup: There's about 6 months of my life I want back thanks to Octo and TTConnect.