Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
The peering isn't the issue, we have V6 peering sessions up wherever we can and where a peer supports it. It's just not really going anywhere to a customer.

For that, we have to deploy OSPFv3 on our entire network, which is something on our "to-do" list. Setting up more route reflectors to support BGP/V6 is also on the list, which is also part of the picture.

It's not so much a peering issue, as enabling V6 on our entire core, right up to the access networks, which is on our list of priority things to-do. Deploying IPv6 pools on each and every access router we have is also on the list.

Trust me, it's not an insignificant task.

V6 basically means running another network on top of your current fabric, which means revisiting everything, every router, every point-to-point link, every subnet, and every IP pool. I have already devised a cunning plan to script/deploy this in a phased fashion, effectively mirroring our IPv4 deployment but in an automated fashion.

For us, it is a priority, but frankly it seems that our customer base is more concerned with Bahrain, Frankfurt and AWS pings than anything else. :)
Throw in some Singapore too ;-)

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
This has me a bit worried. v6 should be any different than v4, even on a multi-tiered network with multiple peers. Rule filters for both should be automated.

I also want v6 but not happy to use HE.net.

View attachment 1073293
That is quite strange, should have moved to local pings as we no longer use HE for transit, and they refused to give us local latency because we were an international transit customer.

Would appreciate if you can do a trace during the high latency periods, if it occurs again.

Tinuva

The Magician
That is quite strange, should have moved to local pings as we no longer use HE for transit, and they refused to give us local latency because we were an international transit customer.

Would appreciate if you can do a trace during the high latency periods, if it occurs again.
Will do

Tinuva

The Magician
The peering isn't the issue, we have V6 peering sessions up wherever we can and where a peer supports it. It's just not really going anywhere to a customer.

For that, we have to deploy OSPFv3 on our entire network, which is something on our "to-do" list. Setting up more route reflectors to support BGP/V6 is also on the list, which is also part of the picture.

It's not so much a peering issue, as enabling V6 on our entire core, right up to the access networks, which is on our list of priority things to-do. Deploying IPv6 pools on each and every access router we have is also on the list.

Trust me, it's not an insignificant task.

V6 basically means running another network on top of your current fabric, which means revisiting everything, every router, every point-to-point link, every subnet, and every IP pool. I have already devised a cunning plan to script/deploy this in a phased fashion, effectively mirroring our IPv4 deployment but in an automated fashion, since the entire IPv4 space is easily encapsulated in our entire IPv6 space, which allows us to mirror every IPv4 link "inside" our IPv6.

For us, it is a priority, but frankly it seems that our customer base is more concerned with Bahrain, Frankfurt and AWS pings than anything else. :)
Thank you for this in depth explanation. All of that is required and the earlier answer makes more sense now.

DYreX146

We will offer V6 on MFN as well, as it is PPPoE terminated. And OpenServe is moving to a PPP/L2TP based termination within the next few weeks, so will also be available on that.
Will this be an opt-in type thing or just enabled by default?

bHOLDher

It's in our interest to do it, but at the end of the day, most of our customers wouldn't even know, or realize.
I guess, a downside to having IPv6 is: if something goes wrong, it is double as tricky to find the problem, you first need to find out whether the problem is v4 or v6 related, for some kind of problems.

The nice thing about v6 is having a gigajillionty static IP addresses at home, but you can't give up on v4 DDNS and port forwarding to access a device at home until all the networks out there, like your cell phone networks etc support v6. So once again nothing here is going to change any time soon.

I had a bit of fun merely trying to get my router's DNS to resolve my LAN devices, and getting my LAN devices not to use HE's DNS servers to try resolve my LAN devices, after switching on the HE tunnel. I told a friend or two, it is cool to have V6 running, but I would not suggest trying it :)

At least my pings from Jhb to the HE tunnel server has been pretty stable at 3ms for the last 6 weeks, thanks for that!

jannier

Expert Member
Bottom line

IPV6, is mostly beneficial to an ISP, because it helps to provide more publically addressable space now that IPV4 is depleted.

IPV6 is not a magic bullet, and if properly implemented, the customer won't even know, or see a difference. There is no "major" direct benefit to an end user. It's not faster than IPV4. It's just another IP address, with a lot more digits.

That is my understanding about IPv6, it just adds a whole lot more IP address as IPV4 has run out, but the internet would still work the same, no speed benefit, no magic is going to happen, all transparent, not gaining any new abilities. Thanks for clarifying Roelf.

DYreX146

My latency seems to have skyrocketed to certain servers.

1621594298511.png

This one is still fine though.

1621594410297.png

EDIT: It dropped back to normal for a bit, but then went to 37ms.

1621599230214.png

Last edited:

neoassasin

So I'm on Vuma Reach 40 meg for a couple of weeks now. I mostly play FIFA 21 on the PS5 online and many times I would lose connection to the EA servers resulting in a loss or just can't connect to a game. I had LTE before this and never had these issues. Anyone know if this is a Vumatel issue or a Cool Ideas issue.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
So I'm on Vuma Reach 40 meg for a couple of weeks now. I mostly play FIFA 21 on the PS5 online and many times I would lose connection to the EA servers resulting in a loss or just can't connect to a game. I had LTE before this and never had these issues. Anyone know if this is a Vumatel issue or a Cool Ideas issue.
I might be wrong here but I think Fifa is on AWS servers and if I recall they might have a maximum latency allowed in the game so could potentially be a high latency that gets you kicked. I recall a friend having a similar issue a few years ago where his latency was bad on PS to EU and it would kick him. Do you lose connectivity completely perhaps?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Is the PS5 on cable or wireless?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Its easy to get a higher IPv6 adoption rate when majority of a country is so poor it can't actually afford internet...
Is the adoption % based? If there is one operator it's pretty easy :)