Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

image132

Expert Member
I really wish blizzard and all other gaming companies would stop trying to "control" their servers.

What happened to the good old days of just firing up a CS server on any host, without the control of gaming companies.

90% of what we have to deal with today is dealing with gaming companies's incessant control over their servers, and matchmaking.

I would happilly offer them VM, or containerised hosting, and I have to no avail.

In fact, all game servers should be deployable using some sort of container system, that way, the game companies can have their "control", validation and everything else, and ISP's can use whatever infrastructure they have available to making gaming better.

I'll always say that one of the reasons why CS withstood the test of time was because anyone could host it, same with tf2. It costs devs nothing to keep the games going after EOL and there will always be 1 guy in a region willing to pony up some cash to keep a server running of his favourite game which keeps the community alive.

MDKza

Hi, if there are no PPPoE servers found, as per your ticket it means that there's likely a physical link down, or that MTN has a problem from your POP to their PPPoE server.

MTN terminates the PPPoE themselves, so if there is no PPPoE server available it means that they cannot see you. Your ticket has been noted, and will go through the normal MTN escalation process.

It's not an issue we are in control of, unfortunately.
I’m the only one on CI near me, and I’m the only one who appears to have issues.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I really wish blizzard and all other gaming companies would stop trying to "control" their servers.

What happened to the good old days of just firing up a CS server on any host, without the control of gaming companies.

90% of what we have to deal with today is dealing with gaming companies's incessant control over their servers, and matchmaking.

I would happilly offer them VM, or containerised hosting, and I have to no avail.

In fact, all game servers should be deployable using some sort of container system, that way, the game companies can have their "control", validation and everything else, and ISP's can use whatever infrastructure they have available to making gaming better.
We're effectively allowing big conglomerates such as Blizzard, to control the gaming experience for the games we PAID for.

It smacks of facebook, google, and other monopolies.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
I’m the only one on CI near me, and I’m the only one who appears to have issues.
Have PM'ed and responded to your ticket. Your session is up, just not doing much traffic. Seems like something on your side.

CrypticZA

Expert Member

So to answer part of this, game developers force regions on games to region lock, so a perfect example was when PUBG first launched their anti cheat was horrible, this resulted in a lot of hackers appearing. They allowed you to play on any region so for some odd region the Asian hackers at the time came onto the EU server to ruin their games, the only way they could control it was to apply a region lock.

In Blizzards case you can choose EU/NA/Asia, its just a pity regions like Brazil fall under NA and Bahrain fall under EU so in our case we force to block the IP's otherwise our gaming experience is ruined. * it chooses regions based on lowest latency first

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Off sunningdale, Cape Town as well. Frog foot.
Dear Frogfoot Customer,

Please be advised of the following network outage:

Outage ReferenceFRG1351043
Outage TitleCentury City | Parklands
RegionCape Town
Area
Precincts AffectedTableview 1.1
Incident Start Date2021-06-03 18:25:00.0
Outage StatusResolution In-Progress
We appreciate your co-operation in this regard. The possible clients affected, if any can be found within the attached spreadsheet.

MDKza

Have PM'ed and responded to your ticket. Your session is up, just not doing much traffic. Seems like something on your side.
How is my router and my PC directly connected both giving the same result yet “it’s my side”.
My crappy second connection works through the same router..

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
How is my router and my PC directly connected both giving the same result yet “it’s my side”.
My crappy second connection works through the same router..
What do you mean "second" connection ?

I have a session up for you on our side. If you have an alternative "second" connection on your router that is not with us, perhaps that is taking priority. I don't understand your setup, but welcome to continue the conversation in our PM.