Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

Phinix

Expert Member
I've been tracking odd behavior on my line for a while now and wanted to get some insight.

It happens randomly, sometimes nights in a row, other times days in between.
But always around 1am-ish the line drops. But only internationally.

Below I've posted two instances from just this month - there are weeks of data available for this - sometimes it lasts a minute or less, other times 10+ minutes.

I am in Cape Town, Openserve.

The second and fourth image are zoom-ins of the prior images.

Any ideas? @TheRoDent

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

leppie

Yeah, that's very lossy and definately what is affecting your throughput.

If some others from Octotel can run the same test, it would be good to see if this is isolated to Cape Gate only.

Perhaps you can tell Octotel users are noticing PL again, which is not surprising give how much expansion is happening in the area, their backbone to CPT is probably saturated again :|

CrypticZA

Expert Member
If some others from Octotel can run the same test, it would be good to see if this is isolated to Cape Gate only.

Perhaps you can tell Octotel users are noticing PL again, which is not surprising give how much expansion is happening in the area, their backbone to CPT is probably saturated again :|
Our fibre line in CBD has gone again to a ball of s###, but RSAWEB are like NA NOPE NA ALL GOOD, meanwhile can't even hit 25 download

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Soon we get to leave them but looks like we going to Seacom + Vuma haha
Keep the Octotel and use SD-WAN! :cool:

Edit: After 1 year of arguing with them it was a bent fibre. Only discovered the bend when another link was installed.

Last edited:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep

Seems like @ThatGuy_ZA might be in the same boat...

image132

Expert Member

I don't mind doing tests for you. I'm on Octotel in Southern Suburbs. My line isn't exactly spiffy either and I've already opened a ticket about it but if you want another result just hit me with what time you ran that test and I'll try mirror it.

ThatGuy_ZA

I don't mind doing tests for you. I'm on Octotel in Southern Suburbs. My line isn't exactly spiffy either and I've already opened a ticket about it but if you want another result just hit me with what time you ran that test and I'll try mirror it.

This is very interesting. I'm also on Octotel in Southern Suburbs (Harfield Village) and I notice periods of crazy packet loss.

@leppie I don't go through the cape gate node so this means that the issues is greater than just one node being saturated.

What IP are you pinging to check packet loss?

image132

Expert Member
This is very interesting. I'm also on Octotel in Southern Suburbs (Harfield Village) and I notice periods of crazy packet loss.

@leppie I don't go through the cape gate node so this means that the issues is greater than just one node being saturated.

What IP are you pinging to check packet loss?

Wait really? Its so infuriating trying to show someone something is wrong when it happens randomly. I've always called it bursting packet loss because it will come around, eff everything up for a while and then just go away. Then they check and its "everything looks good."

You're only a few roads away from me, its nice to hear I'm not going mental even if that is bad news for the internet.

Nemanjas Bullet

Wait really? Its so infuriating trying to show someone something is wrong when it happens randomly. I've always called it bursting packet loss because it will come around, eff everything up for a while and then just go away. Then they check and its "everything looks good."

You're only a few roads away from me, its nice to hear I'm not going mental even if that is bad news for the internet.
I'm slightly down the road in Wynberg, also on Octotel, and also been having short periods of packet loss, that tend to go away after a short period of time, but this obviously takes down any Teams calls, data queries and online games that are in progress. It has been very intermittent on my side, maybe once or twice a day over the last few days.

image132

Expert Member
I'm slightly down the road in Wynberg, also on Octotel, and also been having short periods of packet loss, that tend to go away after a short period of time, but this obviously takes down any Teams calls, data queries and online games that are in progress. It has been very intermittent on my side, maybe once or twice a day over the last few days.

Sounds exactly like what I have.

*EDIT I have no idea how to show this problem properly without running some kind of testing software for long periods of time.

Last edited:

ThatGuy_ZA

Exact same issue and timing here!

I run pfSense which logs whenever packet loss is > 5% so I've shared this with @TheRoDent.

Interestingly if I bounce my WAN interface when this is happening, I often go from a 102.x.x.x to a 155.x.x.x IP (or vice versa) and packet loss continues.

I ping 102.132.249.2 to monitor my connection so packet loss is most likely on Octotel/CISP's network. It would be interesting to see if any other ISP's have this issue on CISP.