Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

Larry101

Anyone else having issues in Century City, Cape Town (Century City Connect FNO). Connection has suddenly become really slow, seems to be disconnecting on and off. Don't see anything on CISP announcements.
Also having issues

EdQubit

Looks like it might be back. Was able to open speedtest.net, run a speedtest and got expected results.

EDIT: added trace route (looks normal now)
1625738033343.png

Last edited:

Londo

Jeez. Go onto the Cool Ideas website and you cannot find their offerings. Where can I see them?

They partner with Vodacom who installed the network I live but they say they don't cover the area when I enter my address. wtf?

furpile

Expert Member
Jeez. Go onto the Cool Ideas website and you cannot find their offerings. Where can I see them?

They partner with Vodacom who installed the network I live but they say they don't cover the area when I enter my address. wtf?
There is a page with all the pricing for different networks, but I don't think you can access it from the home page directly. It was posted here previously though.

My address works for Vodacom network, here is a link to a previous post with all the Vodacom packages.

Edit: It could be that Vodacom have not updated your area to live status, which is what CI rely on for their coverage map. In my area my fibre was installed long before the maps were updated. But Vodacom takes a long time to get the network running, the Ci guys really helped a lot to get the network going here.

Last edited:

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

Drop a mail to connect@coolideas.co.za with your addy, the map is the master as that's typically what FNOs base on whether you can place an order in the first place.

S.Claus

Expert Member
We are planning the change this week will let you know when we are implementing.
Did you manage to make the "change"?
Problem: "Their peering with us is receiving traffic through JHB but replying via Cape Town."

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Did you manage to make the "change"?
Problem: "Their peering with us is receiving traffic through JHB but replying via Cape Town."
Not as yet, it's a large change affecting the whole Openserve base, as soon as we have I'll let you know.

That problem isn't your problem (routing related), your problem is the Openserve Metro which i've mentioned before. Hence why you get the variation on any ISP account.

So the change in question is moving from the Openserve BRAS model to L2TP, so your session wont terminate on an Openserve BRAS and route IP to us, your session will terminate directly via one of our "BRAS'"

lightpixel

Not as yet, it's a large change affecting the whole Openserve base, as soon as we have I'll let you know.

That problem isn't your problem (routing related), your problem is the Openserve Metro which i've mentioned before. Hence why you get the variation on any ISP account.

So the change in question is moving from the Openserve BRAS model to L2TP, so your session wont terminate on an Openserve BRAS and route IP to us, your session will terminate directly via one of our "BRAS'"

Hi Sorry to jump in here but I find this very interesting. PBCOOL please expand on this if you have a minute.
What's the reason for the proposed change?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Hi Sorry to jump in here but I find this very interesting. PBCOOL please expand on this if you have a minute.
What's the reason for the proposed change?
The legacy way that Openserve/Telkoms network used to work with IPC etc was on this model, which is the BRAS type delivery. What happens within the Openserve/Telkom network is you would connect to their nearest BRAS, they would then push your respective realms auth through to your respective ISPs radius server.

Once authed your session would establish (to a OS BRAS) and as your ISP we would just just an IP route for that customers block.

Openserve/Telkom would also split your allocated IP space into various /28s within their network, you can imagine if you deploy a /20 this then gets split up into /28s everywhere which is a very inefficient method for IP use with broadcast and network IPs, then on top of that if you had one customer in Pofadder a /28 would be allocated there for the rest of time for what's possibly only ever going to be a single customer.

So many reasons to change, as the L2TP model has only become an option in recent times, what happens is you establish your PPPoE on your side and we get an L2TP tunnel on ours terminating directly to our equipment.

This way we don't waste IP space, we can manage sessions directly, we can deploy v6 etc etc

Basically it just saves a bunch of IP space and gives the ISP more control (this is what Vodacom and MTN are doing)

And at the same time you can still use multiple ISP accounts on the network as it is still realm based.

It makes failing over between regions a bit more tricky when dealing with scale which is one of the only downfalls, but the positive outweighs the negative.

lightpixel

The legacy way that Openserve/Telkoms network used to work with IPC etc was on this model, which is the BRAS type delivery. What happens within the Openserve/Telkom network is you would connect to their nearest BRAS, they would then push your respective realms auth through to your respective ISPs radius server.

Once authed your session would establish (to a OS BRAS) and as your ISP we would just just an IP route for that customers block.

Openserve/Telkom would also split your allocated IP space into various /28s within their network, you can imagine if you deploy a /20 this then gets split up into /28s everywhere which is a very inefficient method for IP use with broadcast and network IPs, then on top of that if you had one customer in Pofadder a /28 would be allocated there for the rest of time for what's possibly only ever going to be a single customer.

So many reasons to change, as the L2TP model has only become an option in recent times, what happens is you establish your PPPoE on your side and we get an L2TP tunnel on ours terminating directly to our equipment.

This way we don't waste IP space, we can manage sessions directly, we can deploy v6 etc etc

Basically it just saves a bunch of IP space and gives the ISP more control (this is what Vodacom and MTN are doing)

And at the same time you can still use multiple ISP accounts on the network as it is still realm based.

It makes failing over between regions a bit more tricky when dealing with scale which is one of the only downfalls, but the positive outweighs the negative.

Makes alot more sense. Thanks for the explanation I was wondering forever how the radius was dealt with on openserve. New system seems alot more efficient for the ISP.