Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

zolly

Expert Member
@PBCool also down, Cape town southern suburbs. Octotel.

Apparently they're aware of the issue according to their Facebook group.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Having same challenge, 215ms constant in game is challenging for the game type. Confirmed server location is Frankfurt, I've tried Mudfish and WTFast but neither has support for this game server as a destination yet. Also tried the CISP UK VPN to no avail. Lot of gamers going to be trying to play the new big Amazon MMO. If there is anything you could do to optimize routing would really be awesome, I've run out of options as to what next.
If there is no benefit from using the UK VPN then it comes down to AWS hosting probably, seen this before with beta version of games, Fall Guys was a perfect example in beta ping was like 300ms but hen it got released it went down to 180, they probably seeing extremely high traffic volumes to that region so increased latency, porobably still need to add servers in other regions, saw this with Valorant beta, ping dropped nicely as soon as they launched other regions.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Having same challenge, 215ms constant in game is challenging for the game type. Confirmed server location is Frankfurt, I've tried Mudfish and WTFast but neither has support for this game server as a destination yet. Also tried the CISP UK VPN to no avail. Lot of gamers going to be trying to play the new big Amazon MMO. If there is anything you could do to optimize routing would really be awesome, I've run out of options as to what next.
Its more about their server stability than our network latency. Not something we can control. I'm sure when it leaves beta they will have better server stability, but right now, it doesn't seem like something we can do about their "beta" servers.

If you have a server IP, we can take a look, but from the reports so far in this thread, the actual IP pings are fine, it's the in-game pings that are not fine. Nothing we can do about that.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Anyone here playing the New World closed beta? If so, thoughts on latency?

Servers are AWS EU-central hosted, so assuming Frankfurt or thereabouts. MTR to the respective IP yields ~160ms but ingame fluctuates between 190 and 210 making it pretty unplayable.

Same results on the CISP UK VPN so assume it's purely on the AWS side of things.
Yeah, ingame pings that bad probably means bad netcode, or beta server issues.

Cool to discuss and hopefully it gets better when the game exits beta, but not something Cool Ideas can do anything about.

Also, as per my many previous rants -- support games that support local game servers! Or put pressure on them to realise that there are AWS and Azure instance in South Africa now, so that they will deploy game servers locally.

DYreX146

KZN having packet loss or is it just me?

1627061752174.png

EDIT: Starting to get worse:

1627063134619.png

But 9.9.9.9 seems unaffected:

1627063079478.png

Last edited:

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Yeah, ingame pings that bad probably means bad netcode, or beta server issues.

Cool to discuss and hopefully it gets better when the game exits beta, but not something Cool Ideas can do anything about.

Also, as per my many previous rants -- support games that support local game servers! Or put pressure on them to realise that there are AWS and Azure instance in South Africa now, so that they will deploy game servers locally.
We would need more gamers, i picked up Rocket League recently which has local servers, i wait like 8 minutes for a game because no one uses the local servers :( and some games i can't even find games i end up facing bots unless i play EU and its a free to play :/

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
We would need more gamers, i picked up Rocket League recently which has local servers, i wait like 8 minutes for a game because no one uses the local servers :( and some games i can't even find games i end up facing bots unless i play EU and its a free to play :/
Get more locals to play RocketLeague ?

Again, not something we can control...

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Get more locals to play RocketLeague ?

Again, not something we can control...
Fully agree that its out of your control i am just saying like there are games with local servers but you don't end up using them because the amount of online gamers are so low in this country but then again when a budget GPU costs R14k i don't blame people not getting into it, only games i know who have a decent enough player size to have local games are Dota 2 and CSGO and Valve from the start has had servers and warzone*

We formed a discord server and hyped as many communities we could for Valorant and then basically it died. Riot said they needed to see at least 5k active SA IP's on their EU servers to consider local servers and well if there are 500 people that play that game locally now i'd say thats a lot.

Probably better off having servers in like Nigeria then people from EU can connect to them both us and EU should have around 80-90ms :ROFL:

Brandon

So originally was part of an area outage then down to a line fault hence the delays.
Vuma techs were here this evening and confirmed the problem was incorrect patching on their side, am now connected but getting a Websquad IP and slower line speed.

Patching must still be incorrect :unsure:

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Fully agree that its out of your control i am just saying like there are games with local servers but you don't end up using them because the amount of online gamers are so low in this country but then again when a budget GPU costs R14k i don't blame people not getting into it, only games i know who have a decent enough player size to have local games are Dota 2 and CSGO and Valve from the start has had servers and warzone*

We formed a discord server and hyped as many communities we could for Valorant and then basically it died. Riot said they needed to see at least 5k active SA IP's on their EU servers to consider local servers and well if there are 500 people that play that game locally now i'd say thats a lot.

Probably better off having servers in like Nigeria then people from EU can connect to them both us and EU should have around 80-90ms :ROFL:
Damn. It's kinda a catch-22 right, and gaming companies don't get it.

Gaming company: We need 5000 ZA ip's playing our game to deploy a server.
Gamers: We can't get 5000 ZA ip's if you don't deploy a server.

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Vuma techs were here this evening and confirmed the problem was incorrect patching on their side, am now connected but getting a Websquad IP and slower line speed.

Patching must still be incorrect :unsure:
Definately incorrect patching then still. We get this all the time. :eek:

Brandon

Definately incorrect patching then still. We get this all the time. :eek:
Lol, reminds of back in the day with Telkom wiring up someone else's number after a cable fault. Right now just happy to have a connection again!

TheRoDent

Cool Ideas Rep
Lol, reminds of back in the day with Telkom wiring up someone else's number after a cable fault. Right now just happy to have a connection again!
Please follow up on the ticket, and state that you're getting a Websquad IP, and sounds like a cross-patch. Our Tier2 techs know how to deal with this. And also quote my post.

I'll CC in @CoolChick from our side as well with this post.

Brandon

Please follow up on the ticket, and state that you're getting a Websquad IP, and sounds like a cross-patch. Our Tier2 techs know how to deal with this. And also quote my post.

I'll CC in @CoolChick from our side as well with this post.
Will do, @websquadza has also made contact to open a ticket on their end

kombi-man

Do I understand this properly.

I moved from We to Cool ideas. But the "back end" or the provided connection is still Frogfoot.
So, 99% of the time, the drop, or failure, is frogfoot, correct?
Or am I wrong? At what point, does the connection swap hands from Frogfoot to Cool Ideas, and so on?

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Do I understand this properly.

I moved from We to Cool ideas. But the "back end" or the provided connection is still Frogfoot.
So, 99% of the time, the drop, or failure, is frogfoot, correct?
Or am I wrong? At what point, does the connection swap hands from Frogfoot to Cool Ideas, and so on?
Yes so in your case we interconnect at Teraco Rondebosch in Cape Town, that's where our network and Frogfoots would meet. We do however do things slightly differently compared to WA from there.