Cool Ideas Fibre ISP – Feedback Thread 4

CrypticZA

Expert Member
What is giving you the error? Your PC?

Which router are you using?
I have been speaking to Aquatic via discord trying to help him sort this out. Seems to be running the same Tplink Archer you guys send out, i was able to direct him to change the DNS server the same way as i do it on my Archers and the interface looked the same.

Primary was set as Cloudflare and Secondary was Google. Seems as though the line just dies and needs to be restarted all internet connection dies and so does the wifi. He gets the pop up from Windows saying DNS server cannot be reached.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I have been speaking to Aquatic via discord trying to help him sort this out. Seems to be running the same Tplink Archer you guys send out, i was able to direct him to change the DNS server the same way as i do it on my Archers and the interface looked the same.

Primary was set as Cloudflare and Secondary was Google. Seems as though the line just dies and needs to be restarted all internet connection dies and so does the wifi. He gets the pop up from Windows saying DNS server cannot be reached.
So best is to check the log in the router as to what is happening, is it PPP based or IPoE (DHCP)?

CrypticZA

Expert Member
So best is to check the log in the router as to what is happening, is it PPP based or IPoE (DHCP)?
I'll pop him a message to check in case he doesn't see your reply all i really know is its PPPoE connection and was wondering if it doesn't have to possibly do with Octotels infrastructure damage to Ronderbosch POP that they "fixed" issue seems to have started more or less when they started doing their "fixing".

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
I'll pop him a message to check in case he doesn't see your reply all i really know is its PPPoE connection and was wondering if it doesn't have to possibly do with Octotels infrastructure damage to Ronderbosch POP that they "fixed" issue seems to have started more or less when they started doing their "fixing".
Could be, but would we quite easy to see on the PPP session history. It could just be bursts of packet loss, and by the time the reboot happens it recovers.

S.Claus

Expert Member
About ready to test so will let you know in the next week or so if all goes to plan. We have another realm setup on the L2TP side.
197-80-96-14.jhb.mweb.co.za.png
Super happy to hear this because after almost 4 months of daily switching on and off the router its finally getting fixed (Screenshot example: Yesterday it was around 5ms all of a sudden sitting with 10ms)

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
View attachment 1115216
Super happy to hear this because after almost 4 months of daily switching on and off the router its finally getting fixed (Screenshot example: Yesterday it was around 5ms all of a sudden sitting with 10ms)
Well you need to keep in mind the change to L2TP isn't a fix it's an alternative method of traffic moving across the network, if the underlying network is still their MPLS that is moving routes around you may still have the same issue.

The advantage of the L2TP is that the service basically becomes "point to point" which makes proving the issue much easier.

That being said if Openserve designed the network in this way for whatever reason then there will likely be no light at the end of the tunnel.

S.Claus

Expert Member
Well you need to keep in mind the change to L2TP isn't a fix it's an alternative method of traffic moving across the network, if the underlying network is still their MPLS that is moving routes around you may still have the same issue.

The advantage of the L2TP is that the service basically becomes "point to point" which makes proving the issue much easier.

That being said if Openserve designed the network in this way for whatever reason then there will likely be no light at the end of the tunnel.
Openserve is still using the old mindset of anything under 100ms is fine so I doubt they are putting effort in to get it resolved.
E97602F0-2A99-45B8-A9A8-7F4BCD6908BD.png
6D1843E3-5C33-4F0A-8586-39F327F8A193.png
6E1375D4-C82A-4A9B-B4E2-B89DEEB42E17.jpeg

TopChefGotit

Had some really bad stuttering and lag on Xbox live last night.

Cape Town/Octotel

isolated issue or was something odd happening last night for others as well

jannier

Expert Member
Had some really bad stuttering and lag on Xbox live last night.

Cape Town/Octotel

isolated issue or was something odd happening last night for others as well
Microsoft Flight Simulator for XBox X/S (90+GB) was released yesterday plus a 40+GB update to the PC version.
So the Xbox & MS servers where hit hard world wide. Took me over 8 hours to download the 40+GB PC update (Sim Update 5) on my Vuma trenched, CPT, 1000/200 line.

TopChefGotit

Microsoft Flight Simulator for XBox X/S (90+GB) was released yesterday plus a 40+GB update to the PC version.
So the Xbox & MS servers where hit hard world wide. Took me over 8 hours to download the 40+GB PC update (Sim Update 5) on my Vuma trenched, CPT, 1000/200 line.
i got the 30GB update done in an hour and still played for a bit afterwards, so I’m not sure.

ThatGuy_ZA

PON and ALM lights just went red on my ONT. I'm with Octotel in Kenilworth in CT. Anyone else out?

Just logged #COOL-20210728-735361.

@TheRoDent any idea what's going on? It sounds like a few people in my block are out.

Update: We're back online.

Last edited:

Murmaider

My internet has just borked out (Vumatel / Weltevreden Park) - getting like 90% packet loss